Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: RPG Codex; RPG Codex Awards

This has been one of the first good years in computer role-playing games since the inception of RPG Codex. To celebrate, we figured it might be fun to have a proper Game of the Year awards ceremony. So here it is:

Read the full article: RPG Codex 2014 Role-Playing Game of the Year Awards

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Brian Fargo's Wasteland 2, the poster child for the crowdfunded rebirth of CRPGs, shares its position with Heroine's Quest, a free, fan-made tribute
:hero:

Drowed

Arcane
Quite predictable, but nice to see anyways. Now we just need to hope that Larian doesn't do anything stupid in its next game.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, here's the full survey result:

D8rSXxd.png

And here's the spreadsheet with all votes & a sortable result table: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wwvw1yCYV2yZ2th5RUJFCY_VK8/edit#gid=954366295

Do note that a few games, such as LISA, Legends of Persia and Rime Berta had very few votes (less than 3%), so their data is a bit unreliable. Everything else follows a nice pattern that shows the survey worked quite well. :)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Blackguards below Quest for Infamy, eh?

Well, at least VD didn't vote for WL2 in the end. It's always sad to see a good man go soft in the head.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Blackguards scoring so low is my biggest surprise. I guess D:OS stole its thunder, but it's one of the best tbs games to play around with.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Blackguards scoring so low is my biggest surprise. I guess D:OS stole its thuner, but it's one of the best tbs games to play around with.

The usual anti-German sentiment around here. Just mentally add 30% to the average.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Very nice! Nice job felipepepe and everybody who contributed :D I'm happy to see Dragonfall did so well,
:love:
Edit: It was my GOTY for 2014!
Now, 2015 and Tormeeeeeeentttttttt
:hype::codexisfor::desu::martini:

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Winner was predictable but I think the right one. No real point arguing about who comes 6th or 7th, how many quality RPGs do you get a year, even a year like this one?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
ToME at 9th place? Democracy has failed me yet again. :argh:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We were discussing this a while ago... BG was the 4th most played RPG, almost tied with Banner Saga at 3rd. But very few considered it amazing - most votes are 3/5 or 4/5. It had many people who enjoyed it, but few fanboys. :/

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
We were discussing this a while ago... BG was the 4th most played RPG, almost tied with Banner Saga at 3rd. But very few considered it amazing - most votes are 3/5 or 4/5. It had many people who enjoyed it, but few fanboys. :/
In contrast, 37% of the people who played WL2 thought it was a 5/5 game :retarded:

himmy

Arcane
The Codex: THIS IS NOT AN RPG WHY IS IT ON THE LIST SPERG SPERG

felipepepe: Don't worry guys, Thomas Bayes will deliver us all from decline, the people will have their voices heard.

(one week later)

Two JRPGs in top 10.

:troll:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A good list.

Divinity: Original Sin was my personal GOTY, so I am happy to see it take the top spot. Dragonfall was also solid. I'm also a bit suprised about Blackguards 2. I really enjoyed it. That list shwos us that this was a great year. I haven't even bought some of these games that I actually want to play.

I don't even know what NEO Scavenger is, but I guess I will have to research it.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that when you take into account storytelling, setting and combat-related it only really excels at the last one. Despite working with a good setting, they didn't make the most of it and writing was not very consistent. I really like the game, and give it 110/100 for effort but it just doesn't measure at quite the same level as most of the games in the top 10.

Athelas

Arcane
It probably has something to do with the lack of emotionally engaging characters.

Just noticed a port of Final Fantasy III scoring higher than Dead State. :lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that when you take into account storytelling, setting and combat-related it only really excels at the last one. Despite working with a good setting, they didn't make the most of it and writing was not very consistent. I really like the game, and give it 110/100 for effort but it just doesn't measure at quite the same level as most of the games in the top 10.

I'm glad you said "most", because Xulima and ToME aren't exactly known for their Biowarian splendor either. And if there's any significant amount of writing in LoGII, I must have missed it. About Legend of Heroes, well...

2ciLHzW.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom