Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by felipepepe, Jan 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's the standard of the Codex staff, the userbase not as much. :)

Pathologic 2's original Kickstarter described it as a "plot-driven survival open-world adventure game". When the game was released in May, its Steam store page described it as a "narrative-driven dramatic thriller". Then in October they changed it to a "story-based sandbox", and then later that month to "groundbreaking open-world horror RPG". I didn't notice that it had "become an RPG" because it happened after the game came out. I think I've said before how much it annoys me when devs do this sort of thing.

It's felipe's call how to handle this. He did all the work.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Rinslin Merwind Arbiter

Rinslin Merwind
    The Outer Worlds received from me 1 (lowest score), because it's boring as hell. It's one of few cases when I dropped the game before finishing it and don't regret this decision.
    Disco Elysium received 2 from me, because as much I appreciate experimentation and don't hate RPG without combat - If devs decided to do a bold move and drop combat, they should have done much better job on Choices&Consequences, world's interactivity and replay-ability. I know that many people spotted me being butthurt on devs for being commies, but even if they had any other ideology - it doesn't matter, because problem of the game not in ideological context, problem lies in several things (spoiler):
    Show Spoiler
    1) you can't fucking change situation at all (mercs encounter can't be avoided, exposition to Pale in abandoned building can't be avoided )
    2) game making an idiot from you for actually trying to find murderer, because in the end it would be mad nobody without any connection to situation in city (victim might as well die from heart attack, it would be more intriguing).
    3) game is fucking short and world small with very tiny amount of interactive buildings.

Perhaps there is more, but it's all I can remember right now.

Soul Harvest received 3 from me, it was a bit railroad too and writing was worse than in Disco Elysium, but at least there was more things to do, besides story and C&C. And I can't remember being disappointed towards final, while Disco made me sad about lost potential.

Expedition received 3 from me solely for locust encounters and annoying spider nets that don't disappear after combat, otherwise it would be max score.

Overrall 2019 was bad year and for 1st person RPG it was just worst, because "thanks" to financial success of TOW we never receive good 1st person rpg ever again.
    I know that chances on this was always low (thanks to retarded mindset of devs to ignore potential audience for 1st person rpg despite financial success of TES series), but TOW shows that standards of people is so low - Black Chasm of Moria would look like hill. I mean later Bethesda games show that too, but at least there was glimmering hope that somebody will overthrow their shit regime by making more quality game. However TOW shows that there no point make good game, because people will buy it anyway and call it good "cuz not made by Bethesda" not for actual qualities.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Besides, Pathologic 1 is still called a "Psychological First-Person Survival game" on its Steam page. On Kickstarter, it is a "plot-driven survival open-world adventure". These all fit the game much better than "RPG". At its core it's a survival game.

If people want to call Pathologic 2 an RPG, I don't care. It's a hybrid and unique game, like STALKER, that mixes a lot of genres. But I'm not going to change things and restart the poll just because people are butthurt about Disco Elysium.

• Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Such marketing, very tinyBuild!

Or Dybowsky was having a seizures due to crunches and illuminations.

^ Top  
  5. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    :takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    I'm willing to bet that people whining about DE's lack of combat are the same people that think PT shouldn't have had one in the first place.

:philosoraptor:

• Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • No x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Combat in RPG games is stupid. Go play Mortal Kombat if you want combat. RPGs are for stories.

• Funny x 5
    • decline x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm very disappointed that SaGa: Scarlet Grace isn't an option.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Do you remember the mood before 2016 US elections?))

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Would have been kinda nice to have an option for no GOTY. Games were either average or terrible or none RPGs. so no GOTY materials.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. hexer Guest

hexer
    If you're hosting the poll at Google, it means anyone can vote in it and not just the prestigious registered members?

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    You might want to consider people suggesting games for the list before doing the vote next time.
    I doubt this is going to get easier and while you did well on removing the RPG Maker stuff and others that way, you are almost certain to miss a few good ones that would deserve some spotlight.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Pathologic 2's absence is stupid. It is too RPG to be adventure. Put it at least in remake section where it could lose to Underrail Expeditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. V_K Arcane

V_K
    I guess I should start campaigning for including Baba Is You on the poll then. I mean, there's a lot of text in there, and the statements your character makes have immediate gameplay consequences. Defintely an RPG.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Sounds like Disco. :philosoraptor:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. V_K Arcane

V_K
    If it does to you, you must have missed the word "gameplay" in my post.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Well cosidering this site has been a den of storyfags since it's inception, it wouldn't matter if this year we got a proper sequel to Deus Ex, a Grimoire 2 and Underworld Ascendant had been an excellent game, people would still vote for the visual novel.

EDIT: felipepepe, 1 to 4 is a very limited way to rate the game, not only because the number itself is small but also because with even numbers we lack a "mediocre" rating/level.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Death Stranding has already released to PC!?
    Interesting...

• Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    The only reason most fags here say Disco is not a RPG is because they don't like it.

They provided no good reason otherwise. Combat is not a necessity for RPG. If you are fan of tactical games or action games and enjoy them in RPGs, then fine, but do not define a genre by some retarded logic "I liek combat and I liek RPGs, therefore any RPG that has no combat is no RPG".

Genres are fluid, there are no clear boundaries.

Age of Decadence is as well as much RPG, so is Oblibion and Fallout 3.

RPG isn't "the games you like, but not the games you dislike", it's a genre that is not defined and unclear. DIsco ELysium does provide enough options to let the player role-play the character and make choices, even if consequences are not elaborate. Lack of combat only shows it's neither action nor tactical game, but proves nothing about its RPG affiliation.

• Brofist x 5
    • retadred x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • cuck x 3
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • How DARE you!?? x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    This is a bullshit execuse man. Just because the first game isn't an RPG it doesn't mean the sequel can't be one. Franchises drastically switching genre, style and tone happens all the time.

• Agree Agree x 8
    ^ Top  
  23. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Lilura

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Did Pathologic 2 dramatically switch genre, style and tone from Pathologic 1? No.

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.