Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Late to a party.
So, Underrail: Expedition got 3 from me - good but not without flaws.
Disco Elysium got 3 form me - only played it for 4 hours, that a confession guys.
I found out English there is too complex for me so I need to constant switch to on-line translators and my notebook can't withstand in same time the game and browser, overheating much and crash the game upon exit. Was frustrating. Later notebook got more techproblems such as freezing 1-2 times per day, probaby hdd problems as chkdsk /f /r lessened that.
And no, I can't use my phone for that as it doesn't support interent lol.
Also, while I didn't play TOW it got 1 from me, which I did with great pleasure really - such games should be punished, just as those who participated in their development, preferably physically.

Also, about Pathologic 2 and such - I have no idea why games like Xenonauts or Assasin Creed were included, and P2 wasn't.
What is the goal of such polls I wonder then?
Is it really for identifying new games, hidden gems etc or is it for identifying Codex's crowd stratification?
Like, just the way for Administration (tm) to see - "hey, our mainstream fraction grew larger! let post more mainstream bullshit" or something?
Just to analize who the codexers are today?
Dunno, it's all misterious.

Mortmal

Arcane
Assassin's Creed? Did we fill out the same poll?
In 2018 there was Ass Creed Odyssey in the pool, a game from a series that was never a rpg, you know? Like Pathologic.
Assasin creed odissey is very different from other assasin creeds, its open world with levels and ton of set of armors . It's as much a RPG as skyrim , the game most played amongst codexers.Anyway no one give a flying fuck about RPGs here so we should just vote for games we liked in 2019.

Saduj

Arcane
fanta already made a poll and disco won by a landslide

Yes but the official vote uses an inferior format that allows butthurt individuals to vote against something by rating it a 1.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Wow, that was a very quick process. Gotta admit, fanta's poll was way more fun with Anthem shenanigans.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
fanta already made a poll and disco won by a landslide

Yes but the official vote uses an inferior format that allows butthurt individuals to vote against something by rating it a 1.
It is a superior format since it can show games that were polarizing, games few people played but everyone who did loved, etc.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I had nothing to vote for. Going down to YIKEA and buying some comfy oofs on this one lads. It's 2020 now. Do better y'all.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Gave 4 to Disco Elysium and Underrail Expedition.

I had serious doubts about the Outer Worlds and Greedfall.

I think the scale is a bit too small. At least give us 1-5 so 3 is for mediocre games.

Last edited:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
There wasn’t a lot I could vote for in the poll, tend to play stuff a year or so after release. So only played greedfall and picked up spellforce 3 expansion but aint played it yet.

As an open biodrone (at least from the golden age of bioware) I found Greedfall to be a pleasant surprise so gave it a 3. Good to see spiders finally scoring a real hit. When considering buying a current rpg this year it was either that or outer worlds and outer worlds ugly npcs put me off too much, least in greedfall I can be a swag mofo, even the random low tier bandits I meet in the street look :obviously:

By contrast when I saw even the ai in OW was a chubby short haired dyke I noped and lost complete interest, its a shame because might be missing out on a good rpg but am going to need some npc beautification mods to even consider it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe Will SaGa: Scarlet Grace be added? Best JRPG of the decade. Released in late 2019 on PC.
Late 2019? Steam page shows that it's from August 2nd, 2018 :P
In Japan. Western release was on December 3rd 2019.

Release PlayStation Vita
  • JP: December 15, 2016
NS, PS4, Win, Android, iOS
  • JP: August 2, 2018
  • WW: December 3, 2019
Ah fuck, my Steam is japanese, there's no way to track a new language on Steam that unless you are already tracking the game... don't know how to solve this, and will definetly be more of a problem in the next years. I almost missed Gujian 3, and I'm already tracking Sands of Salzaar, but there's no easy way to track all chinese and japanese games that get english release. :/

The word that could describe the current state of the industry doesn't exist yet.
Emm...decline?
Anyone saying RPGs are in decline right now is either insane or began playing games after 2012.

Viata

Arcane
felipepepe Will SaGa: Scarlet Grace be added? Best JRPG of the decade. Released in late 2019 on PC.
Late 2019? Steam page shows that it's from August 2nd, 2018 :P
In Japan. Western release was on December 3rd 2019.

Release PlayStation Vita
  • JP: December 15, 2016
NS, PS4, Win, Android, iOS
  • JP: August 2, 2018
  • WW: December 3, 2019
Ah fuck, my Steam is japanese, there's no way to track a new language on Steam that unless you are already tracking the game... don't know how to solve this, and will definetly be more of a problem in the next years. I almost missed Gujian 3, and I'm already tracking Sands of Salzaar, but there's no easy way to track all chinese and japanese games that get english release. :/

The word that could describe the current state of the industry doesn't exist yet.
Emm...decline?
Anyone saying RPGs are in decline right now is either insane or began playing games after 2012.
I do think the next year you should make a thread to ask what games you may be missing for the goty pool or copy Abu Antar's thread. Because of your steam language, you may miss more games since we are now getting pretty much every game released in Japan soon or later.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
  1. Intrinsic character development with mutually exclusive variations.
  2. All character interactions are intermediated by a mechanic (dice, etc).
  3. Exploration
These are the minimum essentials for a non-hyphenated RPG. Get over it. Disco Elysium is an RPG.
  1. Exploration is almost entirely absent from Disco Elysium
  2. Character interaction consists principally of clicking on dialogue options which is not a game mechanic
  3. Even the character development/customization options mostly affect flavor text
  4. Combat-related aspects are (with character-related and exploration-related aspects) one of the three cores of RPG mechanics but combat is missing from the game
Disco Elysium is a digital gamebook, CYOA, or work of interaction fiction, not an RPG.

purpleblob

Savant
I decided to vote just because of the DLC section (Varnhold's Lot and Beneath the Stolen Lands).

In terms of full release, I only played Cat Quest 2 and GreedFall.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
more credible
:deathclaw:
What makes my poll not so credible? I posted all the rpgs and people just vote,there is nothing credible or not about it.
*More* credible, as in yours is more credible because only codex accounts can vote, and can only vote once.
Are you sure the Google voting does not offer the capability of filtering out multiple votes by the same IP or other excluding criteria (if it even counts them as multiple votes to begin with)?
Just because you can go somewhere and click buttons, doesn't mean it will actually have an effect.

Of course, you are right that it does allow non-Codex voters.
But I'm sure a hefty bribe towards DU will make him consider integrating a proper voting system into the forum/site/account code...

You can also give me or any other mildly capable programmer on the Codex a bribe to do just that ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom