Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The Outer Worlds received from me 1 (lowest score), because it's boring as hell. It's one of few cases when I dropped the game before finishing it and don't regret this decision.
Disco Elysium received 2 from me, because as much I appreciate experimentation and don't hate RPG without combat - If devs decided to do a bold move and drop combat, they should have done much better job on Choices&Consequences, world's interactivity and replay-ability. I know that many people spotted me being butthurt on devs for being commies, but even if they had any other ideology - it doesn't matter, because problem of the game not in ideological context, problem lies in several things (spoiler):
1) you can't fucking change situation at all (mercs encounter can't be avoided, exposition to Pale in abandoned building can't be avoided )
2) game making an idiot from you for actually trying to find murderer, because in the end it would be mad nobody without any connection to situation in city (victim might as well die from heart attack, it would be more intriguing).
3) game is fucking short and world small with very tiny amount of interactive buildings.
Perhaps there is more, but it's all I can remember right now.

Soul Harvest received 3 from me, it was a bit railroad too and writing was worse than in Disco Elysium, but at least there was more things to do, besides story and C&C. And I can't remember being disappointed towards final, while Disco made me sad about lost potential.

Expedition received 3 from me solely for locust encounters and annoying spider nets that don't disappear after combat, otherwise it would be max score.

Overrall 2019 was bad year and for 1st person RPG it was just worst, because "thanks" to financial success of TOW we never receive good 1st person rpg ever again.
I know that chances on this was always low (thanks to retarded mindset of devs to ignore potential audience for 1st person rpg despite financial success of TES series), but TOW shows that standards of people is so low - Black Chasm of Moria would look like hill. I mean later Bethesda games show that too, but at least there was glimmering hope that somebody will overthrow their shit regime by making more quality game. However TOW shows that there no point make good game, because people will buy it anyway and call it good "cuz not made by Bethesda" not for actual qualities.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I always thought the standard Codex "it's officially considered an RPG if the devs call it an RPG" worked well.
That's the standard of the Codex staff, the userbase not as much. :)

When Pathologic 2 was released, its Steam store page described it as a "narrative-driven dramatic thriller". Then in October 2019 they changed it to a "story-based sandbox", and then later that month to "groundbreaking open-world horror RPG". I didn't notice that it had "become an RPG" because it happened after the game came out. I think I've said before how much it annoys me when devs do this sort of thing..
Besides, Pathologic 1 is still called a "Psychological First-Person Survival game" on its Steam page. On Kickstarter, it is a "plot-driven survival open-world adventure". These all fit the game much better than "RPG". At its core it's a survival game.

If people want to call Pathologic 2 an RPG, I don't care. It's a hybrid and unique game, like STALKER, that mixes a lot of genres. But I'm not going to change things and restart the poll just because people are butthurt about Disco Elysium.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Pathologic 2's original Kickstarter described it as a "plot-driven survival open-world adventure game". When the game was released in May, its Steam store page described it as a "narrative-driven dramatic thriller". Then in October they changed it to a "story-based sandbox", and then later that month to "groundbreaking open-world horror RPG".

Such marketing, very tinyBuild!

Or Dybowsky was having a seizures due to crunches and illuminations.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Released games in 2019: This is the whole list. If you find a game that you feel should be on this list, don't hesitate to inform me!

Turn-based

A Legionary's Life
Alien Squatter
Bug Fables
Citizens of Space
Cthulhu Saves Christmas
Dark Wish
Disco Elysium
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest
Element: Space
Emberlight
End of Realms
The Executioner
Fit For a King
Grimshade
Guards of the Gate
Knights of the Chalice
Light Fairytale: Episode 1
Little Dungeon Stories
Micronomicon: Heroes
Monsters' Den Chronicles
Nocked! True Tales of Robin Hood
Pathway: In Search of the Lost Element
Please The Gods
Queen's Wish: The Conqueror
Rogue Empire
Sin Slayers
Slave RPG
Stay Safe: Labyrinth of the Mad
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones
Sunless Skies
Talisman: Origins
Theseus: Journey to Athens
Titan Outpost
Titan Shield
Vambrace: Cold Soul
Virgo VS The Zodiac
Warsaw
Xenomarine
Z Dawn

Real-time With Pause

Mage's Initiation: Reign of the Elements
Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Blobber

Black Dawn Rebirth
Drawngeon: Dungeons of Ink and Paper
Dungeon Of Dragon Knight
Dungeon Scavenger
Dungeons of Legend: Cast Within
Legends of Amberland
Operencia: The Stolen Sun
Silk

Action/Real-Time

bit Dungeon
bit Dungeon III
Cat Quest II
Children of Morta
Darksiders Genesis
Din's Legacy
Dredgers
Era of Miracles
Everpath
Grand Battle
INTERSTELLAR ROGUE
Keepers Dungeon
The Last Sigil
Lovecraft's Untold Stories
Mutiny Island
Phlyndir
Planet Nine
Plunder
Streets of Rogue
UNFAIR
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Prophecy
Yaga

Side scrolling/Metroidvania

Battle of the Boros
Blood Will Be Spilled
Dark Devotion
EURGAVA - Tomb of Senza
Feudal Alloy
Indivisible
It Lurks Below
Lootcraft
Minoria
Tower Hunter:Erza's Trial
Warlocks 2: God Slayers

Third/First Person Action

Ashes of Oahu
Blood Bond - Into the Shroud
Borderlands 3
Cube World
Decay of Logos
Eternity: The Last Unicorn
Everreach: Project Eden
GreedFall
Hardland
Insignificant
Nasty Rogue
Outward
The Outer Worlds
Paladin Slayer
The Pit: Infinity
Rune II
Terminator: Resistance
Two Worlds II HD - Shattered Embrace

Asian

Alvastia Chronicles
Animus - Stand Alone
Asdivine Dios
Asdivine Kamura
Asdivine Menace

Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland
Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout
Attract Fragments 5
Banner of the Maid
百花三国志(Banner of the THREE KINGDOMS)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Bonds of the Skies
Bounty Hunter
Brave Battle Saga - The Legend of The Magic Warrior
Broken Spell
The Caligula Effect: Overdose
城堡传说:魔王觉醒
Code Vein
Conception PLUS: Maidens of the Twelve Stars
眼中的世界 - Conviction -
Crystar
Death end re;Quest / デス エンド リクエスト / 死亡終局 輪廻試練
妖怪俱乐部 Demon Club
Disc Creatures
DRAGON QUEST BUILDERS 2
Dragon Star Varnir
DungeonMaze
EndlessHell
拯救大魔王重生 Falsemen: Demon Rebirth
Final Fantasy VIII Remastered
Frane: Dragons' Odyssey
Ghost Land
God Eater 3
God Wars: The Complete Legend
GRANDIA HD Remaster
Heroland
Hero Legends
Illusion of L'Phalcia
Legend of Cina
巫师超凡者 Legend of the wizard
ライフワン- lifeOne
Lilitales
Ling: A Road Alone
Love Esquire - Dating Sim/RPG/Visual Novel
Mad Princess: The Great Gladiators
云聚:失落的魔法 Magic Ganglia
Marenian Tavern Story: Patty and the Hungry God
迷宫战争(Maze Wars)
Monads
Monochrome Order
Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists: Ateliers of the New World
Ni no Kuni Wrath of the White Witch™ Remastered
NOYO-!
Octopath Traveler
Omega Labyrinth Life
OmniFootman
ONINAKI
夢物語ORIGIN
PAGUI打鬼
Record of Agarest War Mariage | アガレスト戦記 Mariage | 阿加雷斯特戰記 甜蜜新婚 | 阿加雷斯特战记 甜蜜新婚
Romancing SaGa 3
SaGa: Scarlet Grace
SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS
Seek Hearts
Sephirothic Stories
Shenmue III
Singaria
Spellsword Cards: Origins
Summon of Asmodeus
Super Neptunia RPG
Tales of Vesperia
Touhou Luna Nights
Treasure chest Corps-結界を維持するため、魔物を退治した
吞食孔明传 Tunshi Kongming Legends
航海日記:起航(Uncharted Ocean : Set Sail)
Vestaria Saga
病毒恶化VirusCrisis
Wizards of Brandel
The World is Your Weapon
武林志(Wushu Chronicles)
Yakuza Kiwami Release Date: TBA
YIIK: A Postmodern RPG
Zanki Zero: Last Beginning
神明在上(Zengeon)
Zero Fantasy - Kanon
了不起的修仙模拟器
三国佣兵传奇
英雄群侠传
英雄群侠传II

Tactical

Age of Wonders: Planetfall
Dark Future: Blood Red States
Dead Hand
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
For Inco
Forged of Blood
Galaxy Squad
Heretic Operative
I am not a Monster: First Contact
John Wick Hex
King's League II
Men of War: Assault Squad 2 - Cold War
Narcos: Rise of the Cartels
Nomads of the Fallen Star
Nowhere Prophet
Partial Control
Phoenix Point
Police Stories
Rain of Reflections: Chapter 1
Rebel Cops
Second Coming
Sin; Vengeance
Six Ages
Spaceland
SpellForce 3 Soul Harvest
Tactics V: Obsidian Brigade
Thea 2: The Shattering
To Battle!: Hell's Crusade
Wanna Survive
War Theatre
Wargroove
Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times
We. The Revolution
X-Combat Actions: The Days of the Dead

Xeon

Augur
Would have been kinda nice to have an option for no GOTY. Games were either average or terrible or none RPGs. so no GOTY materials.

hexer

If you're hosting the poll at Google, it means anyone can vote in it and not just the prestigious registered members?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any particular reason why Din's Legacy didn't make the list?
Nothing special, I just missed it. These small releases are a pain to track, there's no good list anywhere, I have to get SteamSpy's full list. This year it had 2165 RPGs, so I usually filter out games with less than 20,000 owners, to remove all the RPG Maker crap. Unfortunately, Din's Legacy didn't sell 20k so far, so the filter removed it and I forgot about it.
You might want to consider people suggesting games for the list before doing the vote next time.
I doubt this is going to get easier and while you did well on removing the RPG Maker stuff and others that way, you are almost certain to miss a few good ones that would deserve some spotlight.

V_K

Arcane
The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it. Yeah it's that simple, in codex the game is a rpg as long as I like it and it's not if I dislike it.

he's right you know
I guess I should start campaigning for including Baba Is You on the poll then. I mean, there's a lot of text in there, and the statements your character makes have immediate gameplay consequences. Defintely an RPG.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Before you vote on overhyped and massively overrated Disco Elysium I recommend you try Operencia: The Stolen Sun. DE winning GOTY award will be a parody.

Outward also deserves more attention as an attempt to infuse an Open World RPG with survival elements.

3ln7rdV.jpg

V1LEiZQ.jpg

YZfa61l.jpg

cvfoZ3P.jpg

Death Stranding in fantasy world?

Viata

Arcane
The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it. Yeah it's that simple, in codex the game is a rpg as long as I like it and it's not if I dislike it.

he's right you know
I guess I should start campaigning for including Baba Is You on the poll then. I mean, there's a lot of text in there, and the statements your character makes has immediate gameplay consequences. Defintely an RPG.
Sounds like Disco. :philosoraptor:

V_K

Arcane

he's right you know
I guess I should start campaigning for including Baba Is You on the poll then. I mean, there's a lot of text in there, and the statements your character makes has immediate gameplay consequences. Defintely an RPG.
Sounds like Disco. :philosoraptor:
If it does to you, you must have missed the word "gameplay" in my post.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This has to be the most boring year for a GOTY vote. We all know that Disco Communism wins.

Well cosidering this site has been a den of storyfags since it's inception, it wouldn't matter if this year we got a proper sequel to Deus Ex, a Grimoire 2 and Underworld Ascendant had been an excellent game, people would still vote for the visual novel.

EDIT: felipepepe, 1 to 4 is a very limited way to rate the game, not only because the number itself is small but also because with even numbers we lack a "mediocre" rating/level.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only reason most fags here says Disco is a rpg is because they love it.
The only reason most fags here say Disco is not a RPG is because they don't like it.

They provided no good reason otherwise. Combat is not a necessity for RPG. If you are fan of tactical games or action games and enjoy them in RPGs, then fine, but do not define a genre by some retarded logic "I liek combat and I liek RPGs, therefore any RPG that has no combat is no RPG".

Genres are fluid, there are no clear boundaries.

Age of Decadence is as well as much RPG, so is Oblibion and Fallout 3.

RPG isn't "the games you like, but not the games you dislike", it's a genre that is not defined and unclear. DIsco ELysium does provide enough options to let the player role-play the character and make choices, even if consequences are not elaborate. Lack of combat only shows it's neither action nor tactical game, but proves nothing about its RPG affiliation.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
But the first one was never voted as RPG in any of the several polls we made,

This is a bullshit execuse man. Just because the first game isn't an RPG it doesn't mean the sequel can't be one. Franchises drastically switching genre, style and tone happens all the time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is a bullshit execuse man. Just because the first game isn't an RPG it doesn't mean the sequel can't be one. Franchises drastically switching genre, style and tone happens all the time.
Did Pathologic 2 dramatically switch genre, style and tone from Pathologic 1? No.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
bla bla bla buncha story faggotry drivel bla bla bla "Genres are fluid, there are no clear boundaries" bla bla bla

Well shit man I guess F-Zero GX must an RPG because there I can roleplay as pilot with many stats inflencing my choices and the game doesn't have combat and even has dialogue trees!!!

Did Pathologic 2 dramatically switch genre, style and tone from Pathologic 1? No.

No but it made enough changes to it's systems be considered an RPG. +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom