Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2022 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tags: GOTY 2022

It's that time of the year again! (kinda late this year, actually)

The voting for the RPG Codex's 2022 GOTY poll is now open - VOTE HERE: https://rpgcodex.net/goty_vote.php

This year Twiglard was kind enough to make a Codex-only poll, so you can only vote when logged in. The downside is that all games are listed together - GOTY, Tacticool and Ports/Remasters. I'll split them for the results.

It's a long list, about 150 games, just like last year. More than just deciding the GOTY, the goal of poll is to help us parse all these new games and help find some hidden gems.

The poll will run for a week until next Saturday, don't know the exact hour since Twiglard has to close it. And, to avoid alt spam, only pre-2023 accounts can vote.

Cheers!

Elden Ring and Persona for top end goodshit, small scattering of 3 star "It's fine", and then Weird West at 2 star "Kinda shit". There are a few in there that I haven't played that I'm interested in but no rush to get to them like Roadwarden, but such is life for GotY polls.

Only three votes lol. Elden Ring is going to sweep this poll.

It feels bad because other than ER, I voted for FF6, a game that's centuries old, and Rogue Legacy 2, a game I haven't even finished. Guess I gotta play Black Geyser and KOTC2

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter
Black Geyser was the only semi-interesting RPG last year (for those who are not interested in Elden Ring).

I would have thought you might have liked Jettatura?

Surprised that I actually played 6 games on that list, although my favourite was definitely the NISA's "geofront translation" of Trails from Zero, a game that originally came out 12 or 13 years ago.....

Elden Ring was an enjoyable game that had some good features and exploration but I can't help but think it is decline from the original Dark Souls.

I keep predicting each next year that Monomyth / Skald / Saregnar / Code of the Savage etc. will come to market and we can finally welcome back PC incline...but sadly we keep waiting.

Last edited:

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I keep predicting each next year that Monomyth / Skald / Saregnar / Code of the Savage etc. will come to market and we can finally welcome back PC incline...but sadly we keep waiting.
Aren't Colony Ship and Baldur's Gate 3 both supposed to get finished this year?

Ysaye

Arbiter
Come on, Elden Bros, we can do it!

Elden Ring was a game that made a few normie commentators wonder whether there has been too much handholding in games over the last while, which caused outrage amongst many developers, so I guess we should give it that. The (placement of the) Tree Sentinel is also probably the biggest inducer of people quitting an (expensive) game within the first hour in the history of video games as well, so that is also incline I suppose.

Come on, Elden Bros, we can do it!

Elden Ring was a game that made a few normie commentators wonder whether there has been too much handholding in games over the last while, which caused outrage amongst many developers, so I guess we should give it that. The (placement of the) Tree Sentinel is also probably the biggest inducer of people quitting an (expensive) game within the first hour in the history of video games as well, so that is also incline I suppose.
The entire Souls series has been doing that, but the thing is From has always been in this AA-ish space, where it feels like they are an indie studio that got big (nevermind they've had backing from Sony and Bamco before). However, Elden Ring put From and their design philosophies in the same line than Rockstar, CDPR, Bethesda and Ubisoft. The latter's developers have been vocal about their discomfort with Elden Ring's mechanics, especially the lack of info it gives to the player (which has been worked on by patches, it used to be worse given the open world nature of the game but it's still pretty much From's quest design).

Everybody was waiting on ER to get gotys all across the board, but this time I feel some western devs feel From's reaching is too close for comfort.

S.torch

Arbiter
The entire Souls series has been doing that, but the thing is From has always been in this AA-ish space, where it feels like they are an indie studio that got big (nevermind they've had backing from Sony and Bamco before). However, Elden Ring put From and their design philosophies in the same line than Rockstar, CDPR, Bethesda and Ubisoft. The latter's developers have been vocal about their discomfort with Elden Ring's mechanics, especially the lack of info it gives to the player (which has been worked on by patches, it used to be worse given the open world nature of the game but it's still pretty much From's quest design).

Everybody was waiting on ER to get gotys all across the board, but this time I feel some western devs feel From's reaching is too close for comfort.

In summary:

Mainstream western devs are seething and coping. :incline:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
ViC5Xak.png

QSEKAYH.jpg

The Weeaboo above the Sea of Fog

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom