Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Diplomacy

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Anyone up for a game of Diplomacy?

Diplomacy is an American strategic board game created by Allan B. Calhamer in 1954 and released commercially in the United States in 1959. Its main distinctions from most board wargames are its negotiation phases (players spend much of their time forming and betraying alliances with other players and forming beneficial strategies) and the absence of dice and other game elements that produce random effects. Set in Europe in the years leading to the Great War, Diplomacy is played by two to seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power (or, with fewer players, multiple powers). Each player aims to move his or her few starting units and defeat those of others to win possession of a majority of strategic cities and provinces marked as "supply centers" on the map; these supply centers allow players who control them to produce more units. Following each round of player negotiations, each player can issue attack orders and take control of a neighboring province when the number of provinces adjacent to the attacking province that are given orders (written down and declared in advance) to support the attacking province exceeds the number of provinces adjacent to the province under attack that are given orders to support the province under attack.

We need seven people and will play on PlayDiplomacy.com. I can lead the game. We'll start once we have a committed group.

This game will require turns be submitted every 24 hours, regardless of day, with 12 hours to submit BUILD and RETREAT orders.

The game will be anonymized and countries will be assigned at random.

Let me know if you are interested. I'd like to get a game going as soon as possible.

Roster:
1. Catacombs
2. AdvancedHero
3. MediantSamuel
4. Viata
7. Grimace

Last edited:

sqeecoo

Arcane
I'm not sure I have time for a game of Diplomacy right now but it's an amazing game and I really recommend it to everyone. A game should be running at the Codex at all times!

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Just how long will a game take?

It could take a couple weeks, assuming people use every minute of turns. It could also be resolved in a couple days, if everyone turns in their orders quickly.

I'm interested.

Is this an accurate summation of how to play?

The mechanics are easy, but the challenge is negotiation and working with
others. That comes with experience.

Also, grimace, is it OK to put you down as a yes? Or do you need more time to
confirm your decision?

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This sounds like it could be fun. Timing's all wrong though, I can't commit to this over Christmas. I'd be up for it in January if you want to do it (again) then.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Just how long will a game take?

The average game might last about 20 turns, but it can definitely go longer or shorter. But time depends mostly on whether people finalize their moves and end the turn early or if they prefer to let the timer run out. I'd expect a game to last about a month.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
This sounds like it could be fun. Timing's all wrong though, I can't commit to this over Christmas. I'd be up for it in January if you want to do it (again) then.
I'll def let you know if the game is delayed until January or we start a new one.
:thumbsup:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I suggest everyone with an iron will and steel nerves to partecipate.

I won't because I lack both and I already played in previous Codex editions, and I still suffer the consequences. Go for it though, it's """fun""".

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I suggest everyone with an iron will and steel nerves to partecipate.

I won't because I lack both and I already played in previous Codex editions, and I still suffer the consequences. Go for it though, it's """fun""".

This game, like every Diplomacy game ever, will have butt hurt. Prepare your anus.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Clearly, Russia is the best nation! Damn, you're tempting me to join this one. But yeah, with Christmas coming up it's really iffy.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Clearly, Russia is the best nation! Damn, you're tempting me to join this one. But yeah, with Christmas coming up it's really iffy.

Join anyway. The game might not even start until AFTER Dec. 25 at this rate :lol:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I've never played. How hard is it?
Easy to learn, hard to master.

But, really, the mechanics aren't that hard. The video posted earlier should cover the basics. The only thing you need to consider is communication among other players. You need to make friends, while keeping your true plans secret, and avoid getting butt hurt when someone betrays you.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom