Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Game of the Year 2015 - VOTING HAS BEGUN [AUTISM ALERT]

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
AoD And TW3 will be super close. But AoD will win due to complete non linearity. Though it is safe to say both will be in top 10 of bestrpgs ever if we do it in next few years.

Next year Underail has #1 secured though. I didn't play it (even EE) but i just feel they are onto something great, dev team has right mindset from start and they just need to continue it.

Dark Souls 3 is the weird one. It has Miyazaki behind it but i think this will be the year when DS will get stale because of how fast they make new souls games. DS2 already had that problem but DS3 will be the one when it will hit it the most.

I wouldn't say Underrail is a certain #1 place 2016, it's gonna have strong competition from Torment in my view. And perhaps even other RPGs coming out. We'll see though.

(Unless of course Underrail comes out in december, which would be heavan)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How about something like this:

RPG Codex 2015 GOTY

Age of Decadence
Age of Fear 2: The Chaos Lord
AntharioN
BloodLust Shadowhunter
Caribbean!
Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge
Citizens of Earth
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Dex
Dragon Fin Soup
Dragon Quest Heroes
Evoland II
Fallout 4
Guild of Dungeoneering
Hand of Fate
ICY
Kyn
Life is Feudal: Your Own
Pillars of Eternity
Sanctuary RPG: Black Edition
Serpent in the Staglands
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Sunless Sea
Sword Coast Legends
Tales of Zestiria
The Amber Throne
The Dwarf Run
The Fall of Dungeon Guardians
The Legend of Candlewind: Nights & Candles
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Undertale
Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
Victor Vran
Wave of Darkness

Top Tacticool
Blackguards 2
Chroma Squad
Fallen: A2P Protocol
Hard West
Invisible, Inc.
Legends of Eisenwald
Mordheim: City of the Damned
Telepath Tactics
Templar Battleforce
Voidspire Tactics

Best Remaster / Translation / Console Port
Agarest: Generations of War 2
Avernum II: Crystal Souls
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon
Fairy Fencer F
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (and 2 & 3)
Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC
Mugen Souls
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut
Toukiden: Kiwami
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Way of the Samurai 4
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
Considering the refined tastes of the codex, I'd say the action RPG's should get their own subcategory (even if only to avoid too much butthurt about the results).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
felipepepe
Honestly, I'd separate that last mixed category even further purely to actually get real votes on it because you know very well no one will give a damn about some overdue console JRPG ports with those enhanced editions around. And I love multiple categories.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe
Honestly, I'd separate that last mixed category even further purely to actually get real votes on it because you know very well no one will give a damn about some overdue console JRPG ports with those enhanced editions around. And I love multiple categories.
You're just scared that glorious LIGHTNING RETURNS will win over Larian & InXile's console RPGs. :obviously:

Black_Willow

Arcane
When it comes to tacticool stuff I would also count Conquest of Elysium 4.
Also, how about ADOM for remaster, since it came to Steam not so long ago.

ArchAngel

Arcane

RPG Codex 2015 GOTY

Age of Decadence
AntharioN
BloodLust Shadowhunter
Caribbean!
Citizens of Earth
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Darkest Dungeon
Dex
Dragon Fin Soup
Dragon Quest Heroes
Evoland II
Fallout 4
Guild of Dungeoneering
Hand of Fate
ICY
Kyn
Pillars of Eternity
Serpent in the Staglands
Sunless Sea
Sword Coast Legends
Tales of Zestiria
The Amber Throne
The Dwarf Run
Undertale
Victor Vran
Wave of Darkness

Top Tacticool
Blackguards 2
Chroma Squad
Hard West
Invisible, Inc.
Legends of Eisenwald
Telepath Tactics
Templar Battleforce
Voidspire Tactics

Fairy Fencer F
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Mugen Souls
Way of the Samurai 4
No need for this. PoE already had most reviews so it is clearly the winner :D
And put Fo4 under Best Console Port.

Perkel

Arcane

RPG Codex 2015 GOTY

Age of Decadence
AntharioN
BloodLust Shadowhunter
Caribbean!
Citizens of Earth
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Darkest Dungeon
Dex
Dragon Fin Soup
Dragon Quest Heroes
Evoland II
Fallout 4
Guild of Dungeoneering
Hand of Fate
ICY
Kyn
Pillars of Eternity
Serpent in the Staglands
Sunless Sea
Sword Coast Legends
Tales of Zestiria
The Amber Throne
The Dwarf Run
Undertale
Victor Vran
Wave of Darkness

Top Tacticool
Blackguards 2
Chroma Squad
Hard West
Invisible, Inc.
Legends of Eisenwald
Telepath Tactics
Templar Battleforce
Voidspire Tactics

Fairy Fencer F
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Mugen Souls
Way of the Samurai 4

1. ----------
I don't see reason why we should vote for best port/translation or whatever. It should go into main RPG category and fight square with everyone else. If it is something good then it should stand on it's own and not receive retard award for trying. Dragon's Dogma next year will be strong contender for RPG codex Goty top10 for example and degrading it to retard award list would be weird. Though it naturally comes with a problem. If FFVI will be released on PC should it compete for codex goty ?
Also i disagree with EE version being voted for. They are still same games even if they were improved a bit.

2. ---------
Tacticool idea is good. Though i would change it to "best combat award" So this category would be all about best combat systems not just best tactical games. Naturally TB games and SRPGs would have more chance but i don't think games like Dark Souls should be left out.

This way we will have both amazing RPGs list we all want to play and best combat games we usually play most of the time when we don't play anything new.

3. --------
ALSO thing we should wonder about. Expansion for TW3 Hearths of Stone. I didn't play it yet (i am waiting for Blood and wine) but i think many people here played it and it was released this year. In our RPGs list we often have expansion packs being so i think Hearths of Stone should go into RPG list. Also it is something like 20+ hour expansion so it could go as even standalone game with any other RPG if it would be released as standalone. Also i heard many good things about it so leaving it out would be weird. It wouldn't be weird if this would be higher than TW3 considering it is more focused and tight and doesn't suffer from main plot being mediacore.

4. ------- we should have awards imo in february or march. I mean for example Dragon Quest Heroes was released just few days ago.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You shouldn't compare enhanced editions of old RPGs with new RPGs released. Makes no sense. NEWLY released RPGs is what is voted for best 2015.

Best effort for improving old RPGs should totally be a category. So it's fine.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
RPG Codex 2015 GOTY

For me, it would have to be PoE, since that's the only one I've actually played. :| I'm saving my mighty AoD, SitS, and DOS:EE playthroughs for when I have time, i.e. just after I retire.

Perhaps we should also have a poll for least effective RPG player.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fairy Fencer F
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Mugen Souls
Way of the Samurai 4

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208580/

21 July - Aspyr-Blair

Aspyr in partnership with Disney Interactive and LucasArts is proud to announce STAR WARS™ Knights of the Old Republic™ II - The Sith Lords™ is now available on Mac and LInux, along with a massive update to all 3 platforms.

New features include:

• 37 achievements to be earned through gameplay
• Steam Cloud saves
• Native widescreen resolution support
• Resolution support up to 4K and 5K
• Support for controllers, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, and Playstation 4, along with several others (check the system requirements for details)
• Steam Workshop support! We proudly worked with the Restored Content Mod Team to have their famous TSLRCM up on launch day

Oh...and we added a "Force Speed Effects" option in the menu ;)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/

Deus Ex: Revision is a community-made overhaul of the 2000 classic. It features new environments, new music, and new world-building detail. It also bundles in some of the best modifications that the fanbase has made over the years, including Direct3D 9 rendering, high-resolution textures, high-detail 3D models, and alternative gameplay...

Release Date: 13 Oct, 2015

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Perkel:

1 - EE have many changes, more than enough to be judged again. But it's unfair to compare them to new releases, so let's give them a separete category. Same thing for ports and re-releases. FF VI on PC should be judged.

2 - Placing Dark Souls against Telepath Tactics and Hard West in a Combat Award makes no fucking sense.

3 - Mask of the Betrayer is on the Top 70 list because it's outstanding, miles ahead of NWN2's OC and mosty games out there. And it can be player without ever touching NWN2's OC. Other games, like F:NV, Morrowind and Baldur's Gate all have their expansions included with the main experience. The same applies here to the Witcher 3.

4 - March is too late. By this logic you could say that we shouuld wait for the Steam sales so that everyone can buy them. Two months after release is more than enough time - especially since new games like Underrail will start to apear & be played.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Welcome to Lords of Xulima V.2.0!

To celebrate the first anniversary of Lords of Xulima, we have released a major update with a lot of new things.

The Workshop

Finally, the Workshop is available. With the Workshop, you can create your own mods for the game in which you can change the rule set system to create a unique experience or simply to improve the original game to your taste.

We have created a specific application, the Lox Editor[www.lordsofxulima.com]. With this tool, you can change the global parameters of the game, the encounters, monsters, skill, classes, treasures... in a very easy way. Then you can publish your mods so other users can try your version of LoX.

Players can easily manage the mods and activate them from inside the main game menu. First, subscribe to the ones you like in the Workshop page of LoX and then you can activate them directly from the game.

You now have three Mods available: "No Random Encounters Edition" (created by the Team), "The Deepest Dark" by the user Celerity and the "Streamlined Edition" by Valadurs Erbe. Hope you enjoy them!

Improved Game Balance

For the new version, we have tweaked a bit the difficulty levels to achieve a better overall balance. The treasures are now better and the bosses from the mid-end part of the game are now more challenging. The Normal version is a bit harder. Also, the resistances are capped at 90 as many features of the game were broken when you got immunity to certain types of damage.

New Wallpaper and Portrait for Gaulen

Our friend and great illustrator Nicole Cadet [www.nicolecadet.com]has created a new portrait for Gaulen which you can see in the game. There is also an awesome new wallpaper. The HD version is included in the Deluxe Edition. Surely the scene represented is very familiar to you ;o).

New Main Theme

Our composer Nicolas de Ferran has recorded again the main theme with the Russian violinist Maria Grigoryeva playing the Solo Violin. The main theme of LoX is now more beautiful than ever.
Listen it here[soundcloud.com]

And that's all. We really hope you enjoy the Workshop. Playing the new mods can be a new original experience, providing you the perfect excuse to replay Lords of Xulima.

Although we are working on more projects, like the consoles porting of Lords of Xulima and a new very secret game, we will continue working to improve our beloved old-school RPG.

Thank you very much for your great support and see you soon!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/296570/announcements/detail/79172271466605369

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
What about the voting system?

I propose this system:

1st - 10 points
2nd - 5 points
3rd - 3 points
4th - 2 points
5th - 1 point

Codexers who played only 3 RPGs can combine their 3rd, 4th and 5th votes to give their 3rd game 5 points (yes, you lose a point).

Codexers who only played 1 or 2 RPGs still only give their 1st and 2nd 10 and 5 points, respectively.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel:

1 - EE have many changes, more than enough to be judged again. But it's unfair to compare them to new releases, so let's give them a separete category. Same thing for ports and re-releases. FF VI on PC should be judged.

2 - Placing Dark Souls against Telepath Tactics and Hard West in a Combat Award makes no fucking sense.

3 - Mask of the Betrayer is on the Top 70 list because it's outstanding, miles ahead of NWN2's OC and mosty games out there. And it can be player without ever touching NWN2's OC. Other games, like F:NV, Morrowind and Baldur's Gate all have their expansions included with the main experience. The same applies here to the Witcher 3.

4 - March is too late. By this logic you could say that we shouuld wait for the Steam sales so that everyone can buy them. Two months after release is more than enough time - especially since new games like Underrail will start to apear & be played.

1&3 then conflict with each other. DoSEE then should be counted as vanilla game and it already won our GOTY year ago and by your words we won't be decoupling DoS and DoSEE in our next top 70 rpgs ...
My main problem is that some of those games are in separate category because they are ports of console games. IF FFVI should be judged like everyone else in case of PC release then i don't see reason why game like FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD should go into that category. If it is something first on PC then it should go toward GOTY list. good port etc list can still have them at the same time.

2. That was simply case in point, not that DS will win it. Either way tacticool games are still fine addition.

4. I said feb-march. Currently we have RPG season in full swing and backlog of RPGs lies hard on people here. Dragon Quest Heroes seems like good game from looks and got rave reviews(from press) and i don't think many people will finish it by end of next month.

Perkel

Arcane
What about the voting system?

I propose this system:

1st - 10 points
2nd - 5 points
3rd - 3 points
4th - 2 points
5th - 1 point

Codexers who played only 3 RPGs can combine their 3rd, 4th and 5th votes to give their 3rd game 5 points (yes, you lose a point).

Codexers who only played 1 or 2 RPGs still only give their 1st and 2nd 10 and 5 points, respectively.

Imo 1 to 10 scale for every game people played and shadowban on 1 and 10 scores.
This would create 2-9 scale without hype-hate brigades fucking scores with their 1 and 10s which can be later converted to 1-8 score on final paper and with float you can as well make it 1-5 scale like earlier.
It would be especially effective against new fags and cucks who would go here only to vote (since they would not follow discussion)

Normally i would propose like earlier used 1-5 sytem but it is as vanurable as 1-10 system to hate-hype brigades.

So example:

25 votes on game XXXX - 5 1s 6 10s and 14 between 2-9. This would cut out 11 retards and leave proper critics crowd with 2-9 scale which later can be converted to 1-5 scale.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I prefer when voting structures are clear and my system would prevent abuse. Votes would need to be open to count (posts) and I volunteer for freely compiling them on a Excel spreadsheet and posting the results.

Anyone voting for Fallout 4 or other popamole will be seriously consider for the voting, but also added to the casual shaming thread user list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom