Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2022: Results & Cool Graphs

LizardWizard

Cipher
Rpg codex be like fuck SA resetera forums and reddit.
Votes elden ring as goty.

Like that is surprising when the Dex already cucked for Witcher 3, Div 2 and Disco. Not mention Dragon Age

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Contrary to what all the "I didn't play anything" posts indicate, 2022 had more popular releases than recent years. We had 7 RPGs played by more than 20% of the voters, compared to 4 in 2021, 3 in 2020 and 5 in 2019. (For sure influenced by making the poll Codex-only, but still remarkable)
No, this doesn't mean 2022 "had more popular releases". It means the Codex population has moved to more mainstream tastes.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Contrary to what all the "I didn't play anything" posts indicate, 2022 had more popular releases than recent years. We had 7 RPGs played by more than 20% of the voters, compared to 4 in 2021, 3 in 2020 and 5 in 2019. (For sure influenced by making the poll Codex-only, but still remarkable)
No, this doesn't mean 2022 "had more popular releases". It means the Codex population has moved to more mainstream tastes.
Most-played games by Codex GotY voters, excluding Elden Ring:
  • Black Geyser
  • King Arthur: Knight's Tale
  • Knights of the Chalice 2
  • Expeditions: Rome
  • Elex II
  • Mount & Blade II
"Mainstream tastes" :M

Turjan

Arcane
  • Black Geyser
  • Elex II
  • Mount & Blade II
Elden Ring got 191 votes total, Black Geyser 76.

Elden Ring probably has the advantage that it was even played by some of those Codex members that normally don't play any games (anymore) and are here for other reasons.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Black Geyser
  • Elex II
  • Mount & Blade II
I was going towards the answer that Turjan already gave, but still I took a look at the two games on the list which I haven't tried.

KotC2 actually looks like fun, now that it has an isometric option in addition to the pogs. As for King Arthur, how does this not fall into mainstream?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As for King Arthur, how does this not fall into mainstream?
92.8 k .. 255.1 k on reviews
~101.0 k by PlayTracker
~139.0 k by VG Insights
~200.0 k by SteamSpy

Tactical RPGs aren't exactly multi-million sellers.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry, codex requirements for a game to be non-mainstream are pretty stringent:

It has to sell less copies than it has torrent seeds, must be coded in Haskell, needs to have a local co-op (either hot seat or through Ethernet, but no online co-op), and paid tranny content available at moddb,
to name a few qualifying factors.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
92.8 k .. 255.1 k on reviews
~101.0 k by PlayTracker
~139.0 k by VG Insights
~200.0 k by SteamSpy

Tactical RPGs aren't exactly multi-million sellers.
But they should be. Shit gobblers don't know what they're missing. Pearls before swine, etc.
:rpgcodex:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
King Arthur: Knight's Tale is a squad-based tactics game with RPG elements made by a small Hungarian developer, and despite the game greatly exceeding expectations in terms of sales, it is apparently so obscure that Mobygames lacks credits for it, while its page for the developer Neocore refers to King Arthur as "a second RPG/RTS title". :M KAKT's 4,200 Steam user ratings are slightly higher than Black Book and less than a third of Solasta or Wildermyth, all games releasing in 2021.

Turjan

Arcane
Hmm, maybe it's a bit of a of a confirmation bias. The series isn't exactly at the center of this forum's attention, but has always been talked about here. I had lots of fun with the oldest King Arthur game, so I might give the one from the poll a go one day.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer
Here we are again, ready to see the best RPGs of 2022!

This year we went back to a Codex-only vote. Also to a 1-5 scale, because I forgot to ask to change it to 1-4 lol. In total, we had 364 voters, who rated 157 RPGs that came out last year.
Thank you very much for this heroic, epic work!
I have seen all the gameplay videos for all the 158 games on YT.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
x7Xg39o
2yh2eosfu8v11.png

azimuth

Educated
As Saint Proverbius or some other Codex old guy said 20+ years ago, a game isn't an RPG if it relies (too much) on player dexterity.

Whether that's true or not, Elden Ring is obviously an action game. I don't know how you guys take yourselves seriously picking Elden Ring as your top RPG of the year.

King Arthur was a great game. Definitely #1.

baba is you

Novice
As Saint Proverbius or some other Codex old guy said 20+ years ago
They're great RPG old-hags, but if you accept their opinions uncritically, you won't be able to give a neutral opinion on Baldur's Gate or many RPGs.
Baldur's Gate in particular is on record as being disliked by the RPG Codex old-hags, but at this point, how many people care that the old-hags disliked Baldur's Gate?

While many RPGs have become so focused on choices and consequences, romance, and story that exploration and adventure have been lost and quests have become mundane, Elden Ring succeeds in bringing back important designs that recent RPGs have missed. I think Elden Ring is better at exploration and questing than most recent RPGs, so it's a bit extreme to argue that it's not an RPG simply because it's more action-packed.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
While many RPGs have become so focused on choices and consequences, romance, and story that exploration and adventure have been lost and quests have become mundane, Elden Ring succeeds in bringing back important designs that recent RPGs have missed. I think Elden Ring is better at exploration and questing than most recent RPGs, so it's a bit extreme to argue that it's not an RPG simply because it's more action-packed.
This but unironically

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nerds still crying about Elden Ring murdering that GOTY pussy with it's massive incline dick? Get a life lol. Best game won and From Software are still the best developers making games today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom