Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2022: Results & Cool Graphs

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Nerds still crying about Elden Ring murdering that GOTY pussy with it's massive incline dick? Get a life lol. Best game won and From Software are still the best developers making games today.
:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
FromSoftware: Releases anything.
Consooomers: OMG! So deep! *reads item descriptions for his "deep lore".
qu8j50gtri681.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Baldur's Gate in particular is on record as being disliked by the RPG Codex old-hags, but at this point, how many people care that the old-hags disliked Baldur's Gate?
No idea about "old-hags" but I certainly noticed, when I came here eons ageo, how many Dexers considered the Infinity engine games as a special, elevated class of RPGs, if not straight-up the only legitimate RPGs out there.

Also remember how this retardery rankled me, being born and raised on blobbers like Wizardry, Lands of Lore, EoB etc.

baba is you

Novice
No idea about "old-hags" but I certainly noticed, when I came here eons ageo, how many Dexers considered the Infinity engine games as a special, elevated class of RPGs, if not straight-up the only legitimate RPGs out there.

Also remember how this retardery rankled me, being born and raised on blobbers like Wizardry, Lands of Lore, EoB etc.
I've only recently joined the RPG Codex, but I've been a frequent visitor here since the early to mid-2000s, so I have some memories. Back then, the RPG Codex Elders were very negative about Baldur's Gate - some of them defended it, but most of them hated it, as I recall.

It's not that different where I live, there used to be a lot of fighting between a group of old gamers who were against Baldur's Gate and a group of old gamers who were in favor of Baldur's Gate, although that hasn't happened recently.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've only recently joined the RPG Codex, but I've been a frequent visitor here since the early to mid-2000s, so I have some memories. Back then, the RPG Codex Elders were very negative about Baldur's Gate - some of them defended it, but most of them hated it, as I recall.

It's not that different where I live, there used to be a lot of fighting between a group of old gamers who were against Baldur's Gate and a group of old gamers who were in favor of Baldur's Gate, although that hasn't happened recently.

Generally, there are camps that dislike BG1 for being "generic" and others that consider it a good D&D adventure.

BG2 is generally less controversial here, though still has its detractors.

Both tend to rate highly on Codex RPG lists regardless of strong opinions.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
As Saint Proverbius or some other Codex old guy said 20+ years ago
They're great RPG old-hags, but if you accept their opinions uncritically, you won't be able to give a neutral opinion on Baldur's Gate or many RPGs.
Baldur's Gate in particular is on record as being disliked by the RPG Codex old-hags, but at this point, how many people care that the old-hags disliked Baldur's Gate?

While many RPGs have become so focused on choices and consequences, romance, and story that exploration and adventure have been lost and quests have become mundane, Elden Ring succeeds in bringing back important designs that recent RPGs have missed. I think Elden Ring is better at exploration and questing than most recent RPGs, so it's a bit extreme to argue that it's not an RPG simply because it's more action-packed.
Souls builds is just testing out how much nonsense you can get away with if you dodge shit well enough
RPG builds is choosing what can your guy do out of a list of possible things and the chief ability tested her is good choice making (and some maths)

baba is you

Novice
Souls builds is just testing out how much nonsense you can get away with if you dodge shit well enough
As you mentioned, the Souls series, starting with Demon's Souls, is heavily weighted towards combat.
That's an inevitable criticism, and it's definitely a drawback, but I don't think the exploration aspect is that bad compared to other RPGs.

I think build diversity is very important in RPGs, and I enjoy those games. But the RPGs I've enjoyed in the past have been about exploration, puzzles, and quest solving, not just builds.
For me, Dark Souls/Bloodborne doesn't give me the exact same experience, but it's close enough to give me an indirect experience.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
As you mentioned, the Souls series, starting with Demon's Souls, is heavily weighted towards combat.
That's an inevitable criticism, and it's definitely a drawback, but I don't think the exploration aspect is that bad compared to other RPGs.

I think build diversity is very important in RPGs, and I enjoy those games. But the RPGs I've enjoyed in the past have been about exploration, puzzles, and quest solving, not just builds.
For me, Dark Souls/Bloodborne doesn't give me the exact same experience, but it's close enough to give me an indirect experience.
surely you jest if you attempt to argue that souls offer a modicum of exploration, puzzles, and or quest solving
there's none

baba is you

Novice
surely you jest if you attempt to argue that souls offer a modicum of exploration, puzzles, and or quest solving
there's none
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I said it: it's close.

To be more specific, Kings`field had toddler puzzles, whereas games like Dark Souls/Bloodborne don't.
But I don't think there's a lack of exploration. You can't call a game that's basically centered around exploring dungeons a lack of exploration, right?

I don't think there's a lack of process to solving quests, I think there's plenty of hints and thinking for the player. If you took it as a way to solve quests in a variety of ways, my English is poor, so I'm probably miscommunicating.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Generally, there are camps that dislike BG1 for being "generic" and others that consider it a good D&D adventure.

BG2 is generally less controversial here, though still has its detractors.

Both tend to rate highly on Codex RPG lists regardless of strong opinions.
Baldur's Gate is elevated by the sheer trash the RPG genre had become. And the dislike for BG was/is the rtwp combat.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Top-10 by points if you cut off people with under 200 posts (not really a codexer) and people registered in 2015 or later (newfags and alts):

250​
Elden Ring
148​
Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos
112​
Expeditions: Rome
112​
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
108​
ELEX II
77​
King Arthur: Knight's Tale
75​
Persona 5 Royal
70​
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness
51​
Symphony of War: The Nephilim Saga
48​
Chained Echoes

(n=129)
And nothing of value was changed or added.
Geyser is still a mediocre game getting beat by Persona 5.
Ring is still king.
Elex II and Rome being so high is a joke.

But you also loose the actual good gems like devil spire and ctrl alt ego.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
something like Elden Ring fares much better than something like Black Geyser on currentyear Codex... shameful.
At the end of the day I'm more loyal to 'fantasy' than to 'RPG'. The latter is just the medium. What is the point of deep Codex-approved purity-checked RPG if the game world isn't worth exploring in the first place? Gygax and others were trying to model living inside literary fantasy, at the end of the day. If an A B X Y controller-led action game, along the lines of current year Tomb Raider clone, in the unlikely event, did fantasy better than a full CRPG, it gets my support over any RPG. Hence Quake 1 is a better fantasy game than most explicit fantasies, in my view.

What can I expect from a Western RPG in the current year? Vapid materialism, in which fantasy is reduced purely to a story of mundane factions, rather than metaphysical forces. Sometimes like rival food corporations fighting a trade war; who fucking cares? Quests about shovelling shit for five hours; everything reduced to the human in scale, the unhygenic, the scatological, the ironic. Lampooning the heartfelt ideals of the ancestors, instead of inserting one's mind into their world. A bland profane pseudo-historical setting, which is hardly different than reading an actual history of medieval England, Germany, Czechia or Poland. Sometimes nothing to really explore, since the entire world is mapped and there is a town every 5 miles, and nothing of substance lies beneath. Even the basic fantasy sense of 'exploration' is missing from half of CRPGs.

What can I expect from FromSoft? At least something fantastical, if imperfect. That treats fantasy with seriousness, instead of irony. Caves deeper than the roots of the Earth. Metaphysical forces. A pschological journey into the unknown, without towns every five miles. A door, lone bridge or ruined aqueduct feeling significant. Monsters carrying poetic weight.

G4Mn70Y.png

Then there is three dimensionality. We don't like to mention this here, because graphics shouldn't be important, compared to the ideas they convey. An indie RPG developer 'should' be able to compete purely on the back of ideas. Yet in truth, isometric RPGs can't even do certain things artistically... and it matters if this is important to the vision. Flat isometric RPG maps simply cannot handle the visceral and vital feeling of actually crossing a narrow precipice, or being surrounded by a 2 km drop on either side. Or plumbing the lowest depths of an underworld.

If the poll is to change, the West needs to step up. Too busy judging how many African Americans they should force into 100% phenotypically white medieval fantasy world to gain someone's precious approval or simping for feminists who hate them and their genre. Can't even think about questions of authenticity when seething about what other people think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom