Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: Dungeons of Aledorn

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Tags: Dungeons of Aledorn; Team 21

Admist the noise created by events such as PAX East, the imminent release of Pillars of Eternity, and (among CRPG enthusiasts) prominent Kickstarters such as Underworld Ascendent and Seven Dragon Saga, there is little chance for smaller actors in the CRPG space to get the attention they may (or may not) deserve.

Dungeons of Aledorn launched on Kickstarter earlier this month. In their pitch, developers Team 21 namedrop games like Betrayal at Krondor, Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva, Might & Magic, King's Bounty and Fallout. The game is described as a spiritual successor to the old-school and hardcore RPG/Dungeon Crawler masterpieces. It uses a first-person view for the exploration, and a tactical top-down view for the hexagon and turn-based combat. Just going by the name-dropping and features alone, Dungeons of Aledorn sounds like a game that should be on every RPG fan's radar, even if just discreetly blipping near the outer rim.

I sent a few questions to Team 21, and they gracefully answered them.

There seem to be environmental considerations to make in combat, such as lighting oil on fire. This was seen in Divinity: Original Sin. Are there other ways to manipulate the environment, and how prominent will this be in Aledorn?

It will be possible, for example, by using magical spells. We have spells that create solid walls, ice walls and thus are modifying the environment. Furthermore, it will also be possible to maneuver the various obstacles and props. Here, however, we go a little further in interacting with the battlefield than most games. While in most games it is necessary to destroy barriers, in our game you can jump or climb over them. While characters perform these maneuvers, the battle system will subtracts the appropriate number of action points. The system will roll the luck dice and compare it to your skill level and, if successful, the player will overcome the obstacle and land where they wanted to be. If they fail the roll, the character is probably going to fall on the ground instead, thus giving the enemy a considerable advantage.

By creating fire, you can also impact the AI. So, for example,if you have to fight a pack of wolves, you'll be able to cut them off with fire, as they would rather run away from the flames than going straight through them.

There will also be numerous items generated on the battlefield that can give advantages, and not only to the player, but the enemy too. So as you've pointed out, oil may be set on fire creating a barrier between you and the enemy. We have more to reveal on this, but can’t say too much without revealing some awesome tactics that we want the players to figure out for themselves.

You mention an emphasis on complex quests. Quests with choices and consequences, with impact on gameplay. Can you expand a little bit on this? Also, will choices throughout the game affect the possible ending outcomes? Fallout's “end slides” are very popular among Codexers – can we expect something like this?

Yes, some quests will have different endings, which then affect subsequent quests in the game. This mainly concerns the side quests. The basic main storyline is pretty much given as is, but with different ways to move to the next milestone. There are a few ways to do this, and it's the player's choice.

We're looking at karma and characters leaving a mark on the world, but they're currently only stretch goals, since such a complex feature requires a huge amount of additional work. However, we have the underlying mechanisms for this feature prepared already.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Interview: Dungeons of Aledorn – Kickstarter under way

Got bored and left

It's a relief to hear that the game is getting made, with or without Kickstarter. Looks neat, so it would be a shame to just lose it like that.

And I strongly approve of asking Czech dudes about beer!

Paul_cz

Arcane
Great interview. I feel like I must be one of the four or five Czechs that doesn't like beer :)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Great interview. I feel like I must be one of the four or five Czechs that doesn't like beer :)

a5TXz5q.jpg

Cadmus

Arcane
ban this traitor, burn. burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice interview, the game is really growing on me with every new information.

Weasel
Yes, indeed, this is the first video game made by Team 21. Team 21 has existed for some time, although its focus was previously geared more towards the video and film industry.

V77pyC5.jpg

Just kidding.

Really like what I'm hearing about this game.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I wonder who the prospective investors would be.

I don't see the point of implementing permadeath. They'd need to include the ability to replace lost party members with new characters, which would end up requiring more significant redesign than they have resources for.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It's puzzling that they picked Shadows over Riva as their RoA game of note. It's always been the least popular and most linear game of the series; it didn't even have map travel. DoA's "if a player fails to finish the game before the Orcs charge the capital city, the player loses" mechanic also sounds a lot more like Blade of Destiny than SoR.

Maybe it's an indicator that they want the game to focus more heavily on story and atmosphere than on free roaming.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good thing they have alternatives for KS failure, because funding is not happenning anywhere fast enough.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good thing they have alternatives for KS failure, because funding is not happenning anywhere fast enough.
I find it sad that games like this and 7 Dragon Saga are struggling to get funded, while "Massive Shit Online RPGs" like this manage to almost double their funding.

I guess most human beings really like to be gang-banged.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That, and if they've played any Gold Box series.

Moar questions-
Attacks of opportunity are there, yes?
For how long can you keep the tactical combat view?
Is it possible to move between zones in it, like- get to a fight in a city, move into houses etc.?
And how far can you move on the tactical map when you're traveling and get ambushed?
If it so happens that you're traveling and spy a hostile group ahead, will it be like, first person view, then you set stuff up if possible, then tactical view?

PocketMine

Savant
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's puzzling that they picked Shadows over Riva as their RoA game of note. It's always been the least popular and most linear game of the series; it didn't even have map travel. DoA's "if a player fails to finish the game before the Orcs charge the capital city, the player loses" mechanic also sounds a lot more like Blade of Destiny than SoR.

Maybe it's an indicator that they want the game to focus more heavily on story and atmosphere than on free roaming.

Maybe its the only RoA game they played. I only played shadows over riva and the only reason i even knew about that game back then was that it was fully translated and released on Cd with 12/99 issue of czech GameStar magazine.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't recall these "Active Achievements" on King's Bounty, which one had this?

By what they explained, it reminds me of Tactic Ogre: Knight of Lodis, where you would win medals for things like "did more than 500 damage in one blow" and that would alter your stats & available classes...

I agree. Hexes over squares!

I feel a lot of significant questions weren't answered:

Physics:

1) If there is a rogue class, how does stealth work? Does it only apply to combat, or can it be used in first-person as well, to ambush a party of enemies?

2) Are light and shadows dynamic (as part of Question #1)? Will you be able to turn off fires and snuff lanterns, to sneak up on your enemies?

3) Can you move objects, to position your own cover, before combat--in the first person view?

4) Do elements interact, as in Original Sin? Can I set fire to oil, and expect it to burn. Can I cast electricity through water, and expect it to electrocute others' standing on the water? Can I cast a freeze spell, and then shatter the frozen person with heat, or a blunt weapon. Do spells interact? Such as water and lightning.

5) Environmental interaction: Are environments deformable in first person, as well as combat mode? Such as setting fire to patch of hay, breaking with my weapon, knocking down a door with my axe. Or simply breaking down a wall? Maybe moving objects to create your own cover, before combat begins, as specified earlier.

6) Are there large enemies that take of multiple hexes, with weak points, where you to strike certain hexes to hit targeted zones? Like large bosses. Forgive me, but the best comparison I can come up with is Zelda, or Shadow of the Colossus, where you have to strike enemies in their weak zone--a good example would be an goo-like monster, surrounded by hexes, with an eyeball in the center hex, which could only be destroyed by destroying the eyeball. First you would have to destroy the outer hexes, get to the vulnerable point, then strike the eye? If so, is it possible for such a creature to regenerate itself, reforming the hexes with goo surrounding it every couple of turns.

7) Are there terrain advantages, such as archers or magicians gaining a bonus from standing on high ground, and firing arrow and spells on the enemies below them? Similar to the Myth series, for example.

8) How interactive is the first-person perspective? Are you able to stealth, cast spells, interact with each object, as you would in top-down combat? Or are you limited to using abilities and repositioning cover while in isometric turn-based mode?

9) Have you played the SSI Goldbox games, or Dark Heart of Uukrul, which used a similar first person view, with top-down turn-based view for combat?

10) Lastly, you have mentioned the ability to gather herbs. How deep do alchemy and crafting go? Are you able to craft your own weapons? Enchant them? For instance, if I were to mine ore, then craft a steel sword, I could then ignite it with a fire enchantment that would allow my sword to blaze and deal fire damage?

11) Is it possible to cast aggro spells outside of combat, to initiate combat? For instance, lobbing a lightning bolt at a nearby target, who has not yet initiated combat, while in first person.

12) From your update, you suggested once a lock, trap, or concealed door was found, you would have to find a way to solve it. Are there multiple types of traps and doors and different ways to solve them? Is this done via multiple-minigames, or by skill checks alone?

13) MAPS: I assume you can notate them? Would it be possible to create your own maps, by buying paper or parchment in-game, and then notating on them, while the game writes the map as you go, so long as you do not run out of parchment?

----
I think a permadeath mode would be fine, as long as you could recruit new NPCs. It might be interesting to have a "generational" aspect to characters, where they could reproduce, passing on stats and some spells and abilities to their descendants, or form a hybrid class with whatever party character or NPC they formed a romantic link with. This, like in the Witcher, with the Bioware bromance options, where you could bed women, passing on hereditary traits such as character skills or stats, both from them, and from yourself. Of course, the stats, such as strength or dexterity, would average out between the two characters, forming a hybrid class. What skills, spells, and perks they received as they levelled could be determined by random rolls between the two character. They could then be recruited from a guild nearby, like in Might & Magic, Wizardry.

You could possibly even romantic encounters between party members, forming hybrid classes of their own, abilities would distribute at random, say a cleric and a mage breeding might produce a descendent capable of casting fire as well as healing spells, with a randomized assortment of stats and abilities formed from both classes, based on randomized dice rolls. This would be easy, if all NPCs had classes and levels assigned to them, so a "Mage" NPC would only have mage spells up to level 17, and your hereditary offspring would also have mage spells up to only level 17, selected at random, as well as the skills you passed onto your offspring, determined by your level and randomized dice rolls.

Your descendant would begin at level one, and increase as you go, gaining abilities from both spheres, and beginning with a randomized stat roll that evened between the two characters that determines their initial strength, dexterity, wisdom, etc, based on the averages of the two characters breeding. They could never gain abilities beyond the respective class levels of the each parent, say a level 37 cleric and a level 28 rogue breed--they would get a random assortment of rogue skill up until level 28, and a random assortment of cleric skills up until level 37, but never beyond the respective levels of their parent NPC/PC's.

The ability to bed another character could have to do with skill checks, persuasion, charisma, and questing. How much they like you...

Even personalities between party members.

How they contrast or conflict!

Thus, you would be starting over, but with a progeny or offspring, who could be hired at the guild, then named.

Additionally, you might simply recruit an NPC, possible using your charisma or skill checks in persuasion, like before, or undergoing questing to earn their favor.

This would make permadeath part of the game, where your ancestors would carry on quests through their children.

Additionally, I think an Ironman mode is required.

I am not hung up about this, but in Lands of Lore II, along with Amnesia and the Penumbra series, you could toggle off mouse-look with a right click, then use the left mouse button to effectively manipulate physics in the environment, such as clicking on objects, or moving physics, such as crates--even stacking them to scale walls. Some of this would have to be based on strength checks, as heavier objects would naturally be harder to lift, while doors are easy to open. Then, using the right mouse button, you could toggle back into mouse-look, where left clicking could initiate combat, or serve several other options, depending on how the mouse was configured (casting spells, attacking, clicking locked doors).

Something similar could be used here, where spells could either be hot-keyed, or cast using a single button, using the mouse scroll-wheel to switch between spells and abilities, in order.

Additionally, spells could be modified, using alchemy, so a fire spell might become a lightning spell, or additionally modified using runes. Lastly, you could charge it up a number of turns to make it more powerful, giving it a larger blast radius, et cetera.

Of course, alchemy was temporary, whereas runes were permanent, or could be exchanged. Once a plant, or potion, is consumed, it was gone...

The rune system is more akin to Underworld, or Arx Fatalis; but temporarily modifying spells, or abilities, using alchemy, came directly from Lands of Lore II--as did the idea of charging spells before casting, which could either require several turns, or more skill points, depending on spell.
----

The latest Kickstarter update makes this game out to be GODLIKE:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1153206899/dungeons-of-aledorn-old-school-hardcore-rpg/posts

"Analysis of mechanics one by one in...first person GUI
As you play our game, you’ll notice that within each GUI, there’s the possibility to do various activities and these are utilised by the player to interact with the game.

Clicking on objects
The player, by browsing an environment, will be able to click on most things. Depending on how the object will react, the play is given feedback. An "Active character”, a player can arbitrarily change the active figure during the game.

If the player clicks on an object, like a container for example, options appears; open, explore, search for trap and this option will be further developed, according to the player's progress with an obstacle. In library, a player can find books, depending on the active character. Of course searching the library by one of the active figures will not empty the inventory of the room. If the library is explored by one character, it can then be explored also by the others.The library may well be an illusion or a magical trap or even can be cursed. Also, a secret entrance can be hidden within it. So it’s wise to not miss the opportunity to "explore it with whole entourage," of course, there is a risk of activating a trap and as such, exploring in advance with characters that have higher skills of perception will be necessary.

If you click on an NPC player, this will then invoke the appropriate response based on each character that appeals to them (active characters). An NPC may also be a manifested party composition. See "distribution center" below. Some characters can react only to certain professions or race and some simply do not have any reaction, if there’s a specific race or profession nearby.

IIt is also possible that we will assign more control mouse buttons. e.g. the left mouse button will perform the action as described above, while the right will always be search. It basically means that there will be one less click for the player to remember. These proposals will be addressed in the first alpha testing phase, which should be done, according to the schedule, during Q2 2016.

Buttons in GUI
Clicking on a character

This will select the active figure. Active figure will actually follow the cursor, meaning that when the player clicks on something that the action is carried out by the currently active character.

Double clicking on a character

Displays character sheet and inventory. Here, the player will have a personal inventory of selected characters and of the character attributes. The reason for this is that the player can see an immediate change in the secondary (in some cases even primary) attributes and could better select the best equipment for your character.

Double click at character by right mouse button

Displays the character sheet and shows a detailed description of attributes, skills, knowledge and perks chosen characters; however, inventory will not be present.

Diary

GUI diary. There will be the players logged quests in it. Divided by classes to the main line, side line and peripheral tasks. There will be also lists of achievements, knowledge about the world of DoA, bestiary, and many other pertinent information. There will also be the chance to write your own notes.

Menu

GUI menu. Of course there’s access to control audio, video, game. Options LOAD and SAVE. An important element of the GUI settings, where a player can freely change the settings of GUI in all modes, so that it is best suited. Zhan the settings are saved and the player sees the game as set.

Skills

Displays the list of active skills of active characters. Double click on the skill applied skill and passive skills are not shown here for purely for clarity. This is actually about the actions that a player can use outside of combat and these actions will naturally move onto the hot key bar.

Magic

When a player goes to GUI spell book, they can then double click on spell and cast that spell with a given probability. Probability can be customized when using concentrating on magic but this will cause the spell to have a longer casting time, but chances of success is increased..

Map

The left button goes to the local area map and it will have automatically placed notes. Likewise, the player will be able to create their own notes. The right mouse button displays the global map of the island, where is the player located.

Use

This goes into the inventory and the player then double-clicks on the object to use it.

Hot keys

Displays the GUI to set hot keys. Hot-keys mean that the player will be able to place spells, items and skills on specific keys and these will be different for each character. The added hot keys can be also lockable, so the player can not accidentally erase it. The game automatically has two hot keys assigned for the player from the start, one being the hot key battle and the second is to explore hotkey mode.

Beginning of the fight

This switches the player in combat environments and this button is only available in "action parts of the game" – so, in towns and and dealing with NPCs, the button will be gray.

Collecting herbs
For this action, it is necessary to have the appropriate skills in at least one member of the group. At the beginning of the game, the character will have just a basic knowledge of herbs. These herbs can seen normally in the game and will be possible to collect them. Herbs that are unknown to the character will be invisible and not possible to collect. To see these herbs, it will be necessarily to know them and this even includes the alchemical herbals or NPC herbals.

Finding the trap at the object, removing it, open the lock, robbing
The active figure uses passive relevant skills -> fatal success, success, failure, fatal failure. Different consequences depending on the obstacle, so when the player clicks on an object that has a trap, then the active character will "roll mindfulness" If successful, than the trap will be visible and then, it’s possible to solve the situation. A failed roll means that the trap’s activated and the character damaged.

Searching, founding of the hidden objects
The skills of characters determine whether or not the objects are visible, or not. Skill will also affect the time of the search and at the same time, even if a character with low skill looks in the right place, they will not find anything, because they're not sufficiently experienced or skilled!

Visit urba interiors
Inn

Here is what the player will be able to do via different activities. Activities can be described best as a graph drawn for one Innn.

• Sit down by the free table – services of the pub
  • Sit down with chums – gossip
  • Sit down with friends – minigame "finding of treasures“
  • Speak to courtesan – "services“
  • Speak to barman – gossip
  • To rob someone
Markets

Several options. Like in the pub, you can do all sorts of activities depending on what market you are. Here we summarizes most of them.

• Buying/selling
  • repair
  • Identification
  • Learning magic
  • Bewitched
  • Robbing
  • Learning
  • Healing
  • Use area (spas, stew, and so on)

Dialog with active NPC
Depending on the active character, various dialog options will be open and during the dialogue it will also be possible to use public speaking skills. Depending on the selected options, and successes or failures, there will be different outcomes of dialogue. Dialogues in the game are almost exclusively branching and very often it will be possible to achieve a variety of endings that can affect further actions in the game.

Some NPC may also react differently, depending on the composition of the group that speaks to them. Although the active character is suitable for dialogue, the presence of unsuitable characters may disrupt the course of the dialogue.

Group division

Sometimes you will need to divide the group. The player will be able to divide the group into many smaller groups (logically a maximum of as many characters that’s in the party). Actively, will be able to control only one part of it, whilst the rest of the group will wait. In the fight, it will be possible to control all the characters, with certain limitations, eg. with the distance of the groups. But more on that next time.

TEAM 21"

----

This game tops my list, along with Torment, Underworld, and Seven Dragons Saga! I will be sure to contribute to your Kickstarter as you near the end.

This is exactly the type of game I have wanted to play for a very long time, a game in first person view, with top-down hex-based combat! I am extremely excited. Good look with your project!

Dawnrazor

P.S. Lastly, I do want to mention the game name is rather bland! Any chance of changing it down the line.

Last edited:

GlutenBurger

Cipher
You could possibly even romantic encounters between party members, forming hybrid classes of their own, abilities would distribute at random, say a cleric and a mage breeding might produce a descendent capable of casting fire as well as healing spells, with a randomized assortment of stats and abilities formed from both classes, based on randomized dice rolls.

Sheesh, don't get carried away. As much as this would help attract Pokemon fans to the game, by the time your courting party members have finished wining and dining and raising a child into adulthood, it will probably be too late to save the county. Plus, the first person exploration with full map overhead combat perspective is already ambitious enough. Creating a new character at level 1, or just not worrying about permadeath at all, would suffice.

They said somewhere else an ironman mode is planned, as well as a time sensitive mode in which you have to beat back the orcs before they overtake the land.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Good interview. I increased my pledge, but it looks like it won't make a difference. Still, I wish Team 21 the best of luck and hope to eventually play this.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I find it sad that games like this and 7 Dragon Saga are struggling to get funded, while "Massive Shit Online RPGs" like this manage to almost double their funding.

Well I mean some nonsensical card game about exploding kittens is the largest funded project on there iirc. Like anything else, kickstarter is full of decline.

Alchemist

Arcane

Well I mean some nonsensical card game about exploding kittens is the largest funded project on there iirc. Like anything else, kickstarter is full of decline.
Also there's this $55,492 bowl of potato salad that got funded... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

:negative:
Humanity is doomed.

karnak

Arcane
Patron

Also there's this $55,492 bowl of potato salad that got funded... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

:negative:
Humanity is doomed.
This says a lot about the state of the world nowadays:
If you're a decent guy trying to make an honest living, without bothering anyone, it's a sure bet that sooner or later you'll run into some sort of problem or someone will try to stall you or block you.

If you're a lunatic or a histrionic fag, shouting your madness to the world, everyone will get out of your way, give you money, applaud or pat your back.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If you're a decent guy trying to make an honest living, without bothering anyone, it's a sure bet that sooner or later you'll run into some sort of problem or someone will try to stall you or block you.

If you're a lunatic or a histrionic fag, shouting your madness to the world, everyone will get out of your way, give you money, applaud or pat your back.

Actually, Guido Henkel failed on Kickstarter.

karnak

Arcane
Patron

What's the problem with Henkel? Is he a loon as well?
I remember the kickstarter for Deathfire. I was sad that it never got funded, but I don't know much details about the dude (except that he worked on some cool games).

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Pfsch silly bubbles you've got it all wrong. Guido has already explained. He didn't fail at a kickstarter, kickstarter failed him.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom