Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Underrail Re-Previewed

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

IS IT IMPOSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN UNDERRAIL?

It might actually not be, according to Blaine. It's been a long time since we last took a look at Styg's promising, upcoming game Underrail. Last time we did, we described it using such uncharacteristically bold language as

"Underrail has the potential to become a classic on par with the old Codexian favourite Fallout."​

Hm. Well, the game has come a long way since then. We're hardly likely to use such words again, now that the game is much bigger and reality is sinking in, are we?

Perhaps we are. Here's a bit of what Blaine had to say about it:

"Underrail is the second coming of the incline. The only reasonable conclusion to draw here is that you should either play the game now, or look forward to playing it later when it's officially released. Although the current version offers an enormous amount of content, is very stable, and doesn't feel "unfinished" (although it is, as you'll discover once you reach higher levels), it isn't quite done, so you may prefer to wait.

Having said that, the game isn't without its flaws. As JarkFrank mentioned in his preview, there are a lot of typos, and boy, there really are a lot of them. They're present in skill/item descriptions as well as dialog. In addition, and this is my personal opinion, some of the NPC dialog is a bit awkward or rushed and should be copyedited and cleaned up. This is a very manageable flaw (though no small task) that could turn into a big one if allowed into the final release.

Also, the game is a little bit (really just a scosche) light on NPC dialog and C&C at the moment, though there is a good bit of dialog and C&C. Of course, the game's not finished, so it's hard to make a solid judgement, especially on the C&C front.

In conclusion, this game is great, and if you don't like it, you're a tasteless waste of oxygen and should be removed from the Codex. Grunker and/or Infinitron, you'd better not cut this part! It's important."​

Alright Blaine, we won't. But what on earth does it take to make a Codexer use such strong, positive superlatives? Is Blaine a gushing fanboy, or is this game simply remarkably Codexian? Read the preview to find out! Who knows, maybe you'll be heading off to buy Underrail afterwards?

Read the full article: Underrail Preview MK2

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Im waiting for this game - after D:OS, Wasteland 2 and Legend of Grimrock 2 , plus Heroes of a Broken Land [already playing and they are great] it is one of the greatest crpg coming up soon![ Im not counting action trash like Witcher 3 and Inquisition]
Will buy it as soon as possible. Thanks for this article. It is very good and, now im more well informed about this excellent title, reading about it at Steam kills all the pleasure ;)

Tigranes

Arcane
Ok, fine, fine, I'll get it. Just when I'm no longer in Europe and forced to pay europrice.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
" Your character must possesses enough Strength or Lockpicking skill to use prybars or Omni-Tools" the only mistake I noticed reading the text.

All in all, great preview, there is nothing in it that shouldn't be, it is passionatly written and gives a clean and easy to understand descriptions of the major strenghts of Underrail.

And I still can't understand how such an amazing game can be sold for such a low price.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
" Your character must possesses enough Strength or Lockpicking skill to use prybars or Omni-Tools" the only mistake I noticed reading the text.

Blame editing. This is probably the most grammatically correct preview/review I've edited. Couldn't see the forest for all the trees? :M

Fixed now, obviously.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Blame editing. This is probably the most grammatically correct preview/review I've edited. Couldn't see the forest for all the trees? :M

Fixed now, obviously.
Oh no blame at all, it was written well and the editor surely did his job. That sentence was the only place where I had to stop and reread something.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Fixed now, obviously.
Oh no blame at all, it was written well and the editor surely did his job.

It was a joke ;)

The editor didn't really do his job, since he did almost nothing at all. The preview was literally sent to me in the shape you see it except for two extremely minor corrections.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Great preview, looking forward to playing it when it's done.

Regarding the UI I think it's harder to do a party-based UI game with character portraits as that requires taking up more screen space, but the level of transparency sounds p. cool.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Fixed now, obviously.
Oh no blame at all, it was written well and the editor surely did his job.

It was a joke ;)

The editor didn't really do his job, since he did almost nothing at all. The preview was literally sent to me in the shape you see it except for two extremely minor corrections.
Then even more respect for Blaine . Send him some hookers and blow from DUs personal stash.

epeli

Arcane
Excellent preview, Blaine! May it bring glory to Underrail.

PS. one new skill (Traps) has been added since JarlFrank's preview, so there are twenty-two now (as you can see in the accompanying image), not twenty-one :P

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played the latest versions, but Blaine pretty much nailed it. Underrail is a goddamn cRPG revelation, more so considering that it's basically/mostly the work of one man. The character building options, the atmosphere, the combat, the stealth, the exploration, the crafting... everything feels and plays great. The writing is also p.good, it just needs a bit of work just to become on par with the rest. If you like the original Fallouts this game is gonna make you cum. If you don't like them, YOU SUCK, but nevertheless this game will still make you cum because it really has its own style. Kudos to Styg

Blaine ,you sexy muthafucka, post so we can brofist your ass.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The preview was actually understated, as I was trying to remain unbiased.

"Incline" has in fact been eclipsed as a descriptor for proper cRPGs, and as a result, the incline smiley will soon be retired and upgraded to this new, more accurate version.

prestyge.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is something I'd been kicking myself for leaving out of the preview, so I'll just add it here:

Enemies in Underrail can and will stun you, immobilize you, cripple you, kneecap you, freeze you, throw grenades at you, sneak attack you if your detection score isn't high enough (you'll know this has occurred when combat begins with no warning and you end up stunned, poisoned, crippled, with half your health missing, etc.), pretty much the gamut. There appears to be no discernable "hidden difference" between what the enemies can do with their feats and items and what you can do with yours, and this adds to the game's tactical nature immensely. I've never seen enemies throw caltrops, throwing knives, or EMP grenades, and that may be Styg having some small measure of mercy on the player, because EMP grenades completely drain your shields and deal damage to you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is something I'd been kicking myself for leaving out of the preview, so I'll just add it here:

Enemies in Underrail can and will stun you, immobilize you, cripple you, kneecap you, freeze you, throw grenades at you, sneak attack you if your detection score isn't high enough (you'll know this has occurred when combat begins with no warning and you end up stunned, poisoned, crippled, with half your health missing, etc.), pretty much the gamut. There's no real discernable buffer between what the enemies can do with their feats and items and what you can do with yours, and this adds to the game's tactical nature immensely. I've never seen enemies throw caltrops, throwing knives, or EMP grenades, and that may be Styg having some small measure of mercy on the player, because EMP grenades completely drain your shields and deal damage to you.

Previews can be edited. Tell Grunker where to put it.

epeli

Arcane
I've never seen enemies throw caltrops, throwing knives, or EMP grenades, and that may be Styg having some small measure of mercy on the player, because EMP grenades completely drain your shields and deal damage to you.

Must be an oversight... hey Styg, look, a feature request! ;)

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
For me a turn based tactical game doesn't make a lot of sense if you only control a single character. To me tactical depth comes from controlling an entire party; otherwise it is like playing chess with only piece. So I will probably skip this one.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Blaine - Thank you for the comprehensive preview; if I had not already bought Underrail I would buy it now.

lurker3000

Arcane
Is this one of those "done when its done" deals or is there a target for final release?

bussinrounds

Augur
Just bought this the other night, but waiting till it's finished. Def looks incline as fuck and wanted to throw Styg some dough now.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
Have there been any statements on when it will be ready for release?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom