Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Logic Artists

Expeditions: Conquistador is a turn-based RPG with a focus on exploration and strategy. It is being developed by a small Danish development outfit named Logic Artists, and scheduled to be released on Thursday.* I decided to pay them a visit this week, to have a look at their studio, take some pretty pictures and have a chat with the developers. We spoke about the game, about Kickstarter, and about the trials of making an oldschool RPG in the day and age of cover-based shooters.

*EDIT: Since the release of this article, Logic Artists have post-poned the release date of Expeditions: Conquistador due to distribution-issues. See more here. Ah, Thursdays and their RPG releases.

9622.jpg

2013 is looking to be an interesting year, largely because of events that took place in 2012, a year otherwise so uninteresting that finding actual RPGs to discuss was difficult. A year so bland for cRPGs that GameBanshee decided to give its GOTY awards to games like Kingdoms of Amalur and Darksiders II. Yet in the middle of this RPG desert, the Kickstarter phenomenon kicked off in force, and brought us a slew of new games to look forward to. Oddly, it wasn't just Kickstarter that seemed promising – other games catering to the tastes of the Codex were announced separately as well. A game like Chaos Chronicles, promising a blend of Temple of Elemental Evil, Realms of Arkania and Phantasie was suddenly in the mix, with no Kickstarter-backing or anything of that sort, save a few euros from the German state. As such, whether you feel optimistic about the Kickstarter-phenomenon or not, and whether you personally look forward to the games that are a-coming, one thing certainly seems irrefutable: In 2013, the Codex will finally have games to discuss again.

One of the oldschool RPGs funded by Kickstarter is the difficult to define Expeditions: Conquistador, which is coming out soon (February 28th, in fact), and as such looks like it will be delivered on the schedule promised by the developers during the Kickstarter. One of the few Kickstarted games, it seems, to meet its deadline. As one of the first Kickstarted RPGs to actually be released it is of obvious interest to the Codex, and since their studio is located a manageable 20 minutes on foot from my apartment, I decided to pay Logic Artists, the developers of Conquistador, a visit.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Great article, two things tho...

1. I highly doubt these guys are living the hard life, unless they are hooked on heroin.

2. Star Trek was raped enough last night at the oscars, no need to bring worf into this.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Expeditions: Conquistador will be released this Thursday.
i see what they did there
Releasing on a Thursday, giving Grunker doritos & mountain dew, calling us faggots and staying on the schedule their kickstarter promised... is there ANYTHING danish devs cannot do?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Why would we want to escape Denmark? It is a hedonistic paradise that has so far evaded the worst of the multikult decline that ravages Sweden, Germany, France and the UK

Zeriel

Arcane
I hadn't heard of this, but this article just made it rise up to the top-tier of anticipated titles for me. RPGCodex, you've arrived in Gaming Journalism: the hype-machine is engaged.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Yeah sure, but when you're at the pub or a club you get a Heineken or Carlsberg most of the times when you order a beer. Mainstream beer. lololol

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I have to visit the great white north someday, friend is doing her internship in Finland (nurse), starting in April, would be a good chance to visit, pretty much only seen snow twice in my life.

Anyways, can´t wait to play this come this weekend.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Define "rest of Europe." Haven't seen this around here outside of some posh places.

You can order it pretty much anywhere that serves beer here in Portugal, tho the national beers are what most people are drinking these days. But in college i drank it almost exclusively.

zeitgeist

Magister
Wæver and Eskildsen add that the preview build contains only 15 battles out of the full game's 75
Wait, so the battles are static? And there's a finite number? So this is just a mission-based game?

grotsnik

Arcane
Ironically, whereas the Codex has long lamented its interests' position in the backseat of modern game development, it seems we are one of the core audiences of the new titles being announced funded through Kickstarter, and a fairly large audience at that. Wæver mentions RPG Watch, RockPaperShotgun and RPG Codex as the epicenters of the interest in Conquistador.

I think the heartening thing is that this isn't all that weird any more. The Codex has done some pretty damn good work of late as a place where some of these smaller projects with varying degrees of niche appeal, from Primordia to Eisenwald to Conquistador to Chaos Chronicles, can get a certain amount of sustained attention. You still see the same enthusiasm for all of these games in the larger communities, but discussion of them seems more likely to get lost or forgotten in the ocean of hyper-popular franchise megathreads. Whereas this forum if nothing else seems to be small and contrarian enough to be able to keep them more in focus and give them a decent public airing.

I did think the sign was a bit cringe. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game, and to your future work; I think you lads come across really well in your intentions indeed.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
Wow, look at that. There are actually small indie developers who know what they are doing. Maybe they should make a living traveling the world and giving seminars to other self-proclaimed developers. Looking forward to play it on Thursday (LOL), the little I played with the beta was a nice experience.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Wait, so the battles are static? And there's a finite number? So this is just a mission-based game?
It is largely quest-based, although a pretty big part (more than half) of the content is optional and not part of the main storylines. We decided that we'd rather have a finite amount of hand-crafted battles than infinite computer-generated battles a'la Heroes of Might & Magic where all battlefields are just a flat square with a few obstacles chucked in at random. That also fits our more narrative-based design philosophy better, as the battles can be tailored to fit the story, and though we "only" have 75 battles in the game, they will change depending on your choices leading up the combat as well as the general state of the game :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom