Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2016 - Divinity: Original Sin 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin 2; Gamescom 2016; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Last year, we sent Bubbles and JarlFrank to Gamescom, the annual video game trade fair in Cologne, Germany. The resulting multi-part report was one of the finest pieces of content the Codex has ever produced, and so when August came around, it was a no-brainer to send them there again. I can already tell you that our Gamescom report this year is going to break new records. For its first part, though, we'll start small - not with an article covering a dozen different games, but just one very important one. Bubbles and JarlFrank expected to have just half an hour with Divinity: Original Sin 2. They ended up spending almost three hours with it. Here's some of what they learned:

Bubbles: Since you mentioned the origin stories, let's talk about the writing…. I've played more of this version than I played with the prototype, but I still remember what was on the prototype. I saw some changes in the prototype from the original game, but I wasn't fully convinced that it had changed. What I'm seeing now is a radically different style of writing; stunning, absolutely...

Swen: I'm happy to see that you recognize it.

Bubbles: It's hard to imagine it being in the same game series. Bioware sometimes changes writing throughout their game series, but I can't think of many companies that would allow an example like this; this is actually a very strong example [of a stylistic change] for me. It's good writing… it convinces me. It's real – it's an enormous achievement compared to Original Sin 1 for me.

Swen: ...took sweat and blood and tears...

Bubbles: …how much has your writing team changed?

Swen: You'll be surprised, maybe, to hear that the leads on this team are the same writers that wrote OS 1. But they have time now, and time makes a very big difference. We've been iterating the writing [a lot]; if I would show you the initial dialogues, you'd say “that's shit!”, but that's just the process, right? Writing is something were you need to have time to go over it, start to get into the characters. We now have 8 writers, and they now have time to get into the heads of every single character and they have to “speak” like that character. So we think about each character: “What would they say? Would they say that? No, they probably wouldn't say that.” So it changes and changes, and the result… it feels a little better. We were also very explicit that it had to be the way you talk… it's a much more natural conversation style now. Of course, you played that noble [The Red Prince] and he still talks like a noble, but that's “him”; that's because of his upbringing. If you take Lohse [a lady who acts as a vessel for demons and spirits], she's gonna be talking like a jester, which is a completely different tone; same thing goes for Sebille, she was a slave in the Ancient Empire, so she's very bitter, she hates everything. It really changes from character to character; it's also different writers who write each of them, so they can really get into their heads.

Bubbles: Which part of this writing is by Chris Avellone?

Swen: He's doing the Undead origin story, and that one you're not seeing. That's gonna be something very special, so we're keeping that for later. So you haven't actually seen any of Chris's writing yet.

Bubbles: You mentioned 8 writers – who are they?

Swen: Let's see, we have Sarah Baylus, we have Jan Van Dosselaer, Devin Doyle, Charlene Putney, John Corcoran, Steven… uhmmm… Steven, so that's six, then Kevin vanOrd, then Chris, eight, and Kieron [Kelly], nine. So it's actually eight and a half, cause Kieron does writing as well as other artistic stuff.

Bubbles: Do you think that's a good amount of writers for the kind of project you're doing?

Swen: Yeah, I think so. The output of these people if they “just write” is enormous; I could fill what other games have in ten days with a team like that. But they don't [“just write”], because they take so much time with each dialogue.

Bubbles: If you've hired more people over the last few months, does that mean that the game has expanded in scope?

Swen: We've hired more people because we've learned we needed more. I will be brutally honest about this: we only figured out the identity of the game a couple of months ago. We were looking a long time for the right tone, and now that we've we figured it out – it's easy!

Bubbles: What did you figure out?

Swen: How people should talk. The length of the dialogues, the length of the phrases, the way that they talk, the things that they say – we figured that out a couple of months ago because of Sarah. It started with that one character that Devin did; we were playing Act 1, and we said, “That's a really good character!” Sarah picked up on that; she changed all of Fort Joy to fit that, and then we all played it and said “Fuck, this is good!” And then we started expanding it everywhere and we rewrote pretty much everything.​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2016 - Divinity: Original Sin 2

Dorateen

Arcane
Zombra

Bubbles: We've had a couple of requests from people who'd like to create their entire party from scratch at the start of the game.

Swen: Yeah, I've heard that quite a few times. In the single player campaign, that's currently not the case. I'm not gonna say “No” - we'll see where we end up with that. But we won't ship it with that option for sure; it would be an enhancement or a modification afterwards. Because I really want people to try out the Origin stories. And if you give [full party creation to them] from the get go, people are perhaps not going to pick the Origin stories; they're going to miss out on all the fun, because they won't realize how deep we went on all of the dialogue options.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awesome stuff, I'm super hyped. Nice interview there Bubbles even if you didn't ask about the couch-coop
Also BOOOOO to Jarl who went to see some popeamole crapola during an interview with the highly prestigious Sven, our overlord.
:swen:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Awesome stuff, I'm super hyped. Nice interview there Bubbles even if you didn't ask about the couch-coop

To be fair, this was pretty much an ambush interview (i.e. Swen ambushed us, and then we interviewed him). I had only prepared enough questions for 10 minutes, so I'm quite happy that we managed to ask as many pointed questions as we did.

SniperHF

Arcane
I still really fucking hate this:

Last year, the writers still described indirect dialogue options as an “experiment”; by now, they've become fully entrenched in the game. The difference between two options like “Who are you?” and *Ask him who he is* seems minimal to me, but passionate role players will probably like it.

Weasel
Good work Bubbles, interesting interview :salute:

ADqV1jZ.png

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Bubbles: Which part of this writing is by Chris Avellone?

Swen: He's doing the Undead origin story, and that one you're not seeing. That's gonna be something very special, so we're keeping that for later. So you haven't actually seen any of Chris's writing yet.
Unless players are able to pick repeated origins, looks like co-op fights will already start on chargen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Enemies now show their line of sight when you're in sneak mode, so getting past them is a very Commandos-like affair where you move between obstacles and try to avoid the big red sight cones.

You could see los cones in D:OS as well, it sounds like they only changed the colors to make it a bit more obvious.

I think that Unity was a mistake there. I think that was a very constricting environment. That's a pity, because there was a whole bunch of criticism that was all… Unity-inspired.

:lol:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Enemies now show their line of sight when you're in sneak mode, so getting past them is a very Commandos-like affair where you move between obstacles and try to avoid the big red sight cones.

You could see los cones in D:OS as well, it sounds like they only changed the colors to make it a bit more obvious.

Here's what they look like now:

https://youtu.be/f0be2EdqQWg?t=182

otsego

Cipher
Impressions said:
I had initially booked the meeting as a half hour presentation and interview with producer David Walgrave; instead, we got almost an hour of hands-on time guided by Swen Vincke himself, another hour to interview Swen about all sorts of in-depth issues, and finally the presentation that I had originally booked. That's the kind of of treatment that Larian extends to its biggest fan communities, and we highly appreciate it.

Shots

Fry

Arcane
Ah, but this is how they get you. Don't fall into the schmooze trap. Game is still shit until released and proven otherwise.

himmy

Arcane
Bubbles: I remember that you were talking about making this huuuuge city last year; were you able to realize that ambition?

Swen: Fuck, you should see that city!

There's just something about how Swen answers questions that makes me very excited about this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom