Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2015, or How Chris Avellone Called the Codex Unprofessional

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, Mar 16, 2015.

1. serch Magister

serch
    If you are trying to calm the Codex, you are doing it wrong:desu:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd Arcane Patron

Sordid MCA/Prosper Hybryd
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh Divine Tim of the Holy Troika, thou Holy One! Have mercy on us and save us from decline.

Please tell us, if it were possible would you like to make another Arcanum installment?

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    ^ Top  
  3. Aenra Guest

Aenra
    i'm not going to tag the man, or annoy him in any way, so Tim.. assuming you get to read this..

Thank you. More than you'd know. You'd need to hear of how i grew up so to understand. Thank you.
    I wish you well and happy with all my heart man.

:love:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    The prophecies are true!

• Brofist Brofist x 33
    ^ Top  
  5. Anthony Davis Blizzard Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    One of us! One of us! One of us!

You can never leave....
    :shunthenonbeliever:

• Brofist Brofist x 43
    ^ Top  
  6. vivec Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    SO PoE now has multiclassing? Great news!

^ Top  
  7. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    YES PLEASE!

Seriously Obsidian/Tim DO THIS. PLEASE!

:takemymoney:

• Brofist Brofist x 14
    ^ Top  
  8. Gary Indiana Arbiter

Gary Indiana
    This is the best thread I have ever read anywhere.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  9. Jim the Dinosaur Arcane

Jim the Dinosaur
    I think Cain has had his account long enough to post in GD.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  10. index.php Arcane

index.php
    ^ Top  
  11. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin

:nofunallowed:

^ Top  
  12. garren Arcane Patron

garren
    Doesn't matter. Atari has some separate deal with GOG to distribute the game DRM-free, it doesn't make Tim's contract null and void.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. I'm hoping that Tim Cain has the source code to Bloodlines squirreled away somewhere, but publishers gonna publish. Actually, with Bloodlines I think it is White Wolf who are the big bad - they shut down a fan remake project recently.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Thanks !
    Bonus question: Does that mean that source code for Arcanum is in same legal state ?

Yeah. What Atari does has nothing to do with Troika contract. Also GOG lists Hasbro not Atari... Does that mean TOEE as it is D&D game is now in Hasbro hands as all other D&D titles ?

^ Top  
  15. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Pros:

- New IP to shuffle with POE = more creativity, less making same game over and over again, New IP also means more fame which directly corresponds to money.

Cons:

- They are mid tier studio possibly doing one AAA game, plus 2 partnerships and POE. So they have limited human budget assuming they will want to strike when it's hot with POE2.

Imo i think Obsidian will do new crowfunding for turn based RPG when they will be near release of their AAA project as AAA project ending means that ton of people will be free to work on something else assuming by then they won't have another contract for big game.

^ Top  
  16. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    My point is that players that criticize Sawyer for its design philosophy should also criticize Avellone for support the same idea. They don’t do that because all this talk about developers, either from fanboys or haters, is just irrational thinking about celebrities. The haters pictured Sawyer as if he represented decline, hence he must be boring, unimaginative, etc. Avellone fanboys think he represents incline because besides being an awesome writer, he is such a sweet and accessible guy. Thus, he must be always right, even when he agrees with Sawyer – “you know, he just said that because he is being polite and all”. The fact is that even these celebrities, who made great games and deserve our deepest respect and admiration, are just people. They are very bright, but they all have flaws.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    Would there be the slightest possibility for you to do something à la Shadowrun Returns : by that i mean a game using D&D open licence rules (or a PoE turn-based variant), featuring a medium-lenght scenario and a strong campaign builder ?
    As you say, nature of the code makes it releasable on multiple platforms, and you could reuse graphical assets of past Obsidian games (does the company still have NWN 2 models for example ?).
    Anyway, let me tell you you lighted a damn fire saying you still had ToEE's code, and i'd hate it to go to waste.

Or you could simply give us better tools to mod ToEE and Arcanum (awesome games, but god knows they could use it).

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Maybe you are right, Matt. I didn’t play the game yet. I just read the threads about POE. I guess that the mere hint of a suggestion that every character combination should be viable sounds like popamole thinking, thus triggering some irrational fears. I should think more before posting nonsense on the internet.

^ Top  
  19. Prime Junta Self-Ejected Patron Vatnik

Self-Ejected
    Stop making shit up. Can't you find actual things Sawyer did to woof about? Even I could if I wanted to, and I like at least 80% of his decisions in P:E mechanics.

Weapons in P:E play very differently. Guns are extremely punchy but load extremely slowly: great for an opening volley, useless afterward (gimmick builds notwithstanding), whereas bows can maintain a constant rate of damage over an encounter but are much slower at taking down an individual target. Maces are not like morning stars which are not like stilettos, all of which are viable and powerful weapons.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  20. Lurker King Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    So true.

^ Top  
  21. crakkie Arcane

crakkie
    Didn't Drog find out that they used a scene crack to make Arcanum "DRM-free" for GOG? The crackers' logo was embedded in the exe, viewable in a hex editor?

Not that this would legally change anything it the contract. It just makes it more ludicrous.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Amasius Augur

Amasius
    Sure. But nice that some of my favorite obscure devs post here. If only Leonard would see the light again... (Boyarsky-fanboy here)
    Show Spoiler
    :slamdunkride:

There is still something wrong with your sig though... :cry:

^ Top  
  23. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Did this use the code:

Please do revive if ever possible... Turnbased this.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  24. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    This... :love:

I want to say, Sir, that you will always be cherished in my heart, as I have never played games that I liked more than Fallout 1 and especially Arcanum! I have a faint glimmer of hope that Arcanum 2 (or at least a spiritual successor) will see the light of day with You at the helm. Or any other game you have in mind.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Gazing at his slowly refilling game shelves ;-)
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I was just looking at all my PAX East photos and forgot about these two which didn't fit into my article but does show I went through heaven and hell just to bring the Codex the best content on the webz... :lol:

100_8949 (768x1024).jpg

100_8938 (768x1024).jpg

• Brofist Brofist x 24
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.