Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Dark Souls: Prepare to Die

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My biggest problem is that I simply cannot use the twin-stick thingies on modern controllers. Call me uncoordinated or old or whatever but the last controller I used only required D-pad plus a couple of buttons. Not D-pad, some sticks, four buttons, and another four side flippers or whatever the fuck they are. I can play retro 2D platformers just fine but my muscle memory isn't going to adapt to the modern controller scheme. If they put in proper/workable M+K controls I might have jumped on this -- as it stands I can't justify anything over $10 because I might find the game simply unplayable from a mechanics/personal perspective.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I play a lot of console games and any half-decent game has a camera that's good enough for you never needing to use that stick (Dark Souls), has a button to center the camera behind you (Banjo & Kazooie) or gives you opportunities in mid-battle to use it so you don't have to be using the buttons at the same time (Bayonetta).

I literally never used the right analog stick in Dark Souls/Demon's Souls- except for looking around when there were no enemies. I therefore find your reason not to try the game irrelevant.

It's like not wanting to play an N64 game because the controller looks like it was designed for three hands. But if you actually play any N64 game you'll see that they simply don't use all the buttons at once, just as an example.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I therefore find your reason not to try the game irrelevant.

As I said, the reasons are personal/limited to me and my experiences in gaming so it goes without saying you'd find them irrelevant. You're probably younger and/or have more play time logged in on modern controllers. Last console I played was PS1 and while I think they had sticks on them I never recalled using them for the half dozen or so games I owned.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Like I said, you'd only really have to use one of these two sticks at a time, which is no different from using the mouse or the WASD keys.

That said I remember having a hard time getting used to the first analog stick on a gamepad myself when the N64 came out- though that was a long time ago.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Difference is I haven't been doing it for the last two decades. Moreover it's not just the sticks but the multiple buttons and flipper arrangement, too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Ah I see. I thought it was just the right stick giving you trouble. Sorry about that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom