Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Driftmoon

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Driftmoon; Instant Kingdom

Just a few days ago Instant Kingdom released their light "adventure RPG" Driftmoon. In this review, esteemed community member Haba tells you what he thinks about the game. Have some snippets (and then be sure to read the review in full):

Family visits. You know how it always goes. All those nagging little hints that subtly point at your failures in life: "Your YOUNGEST cousin just got married this week..." or "Weston, the neighbour's son has now been promoted to captain in the Royal Guard. His parents are SO proud of him..." None of that sort in this family. Before you even have the chance to greet your mom, the old hag decides to push you down into a well. Wasn't that old tradition reserved to only unwanted newborns? You know, for the little mishaps that result from visiting the village priest or when your brother drinks just a bit too much mead? [...]

Excuse Me Sir. I am Looking For a Hidden Fish

So if not combat and character development, what does the game really has to offer? Pixel hunts, for one. The game locations are filled with items you can interact with, hidden treasures and secrets. Crafting ingredients, gold, attribute increasing bonuses... There is a tonne of stuff for those with the obsessive compulsive hoarding habit.

Besides hunting for material, you also obtain a wealth of information. Despite the tongue-in-cheek approach of the game, it is by no means a joke. The in-game lore is well fleshed out, with monster encyclopaedias, small stories and item descriptions.

The real meat of the game is the adventure. Almost every character has something to say; even most of the sentient enemies can be heard grumbling about their miserable duty. Quite surprisingly, the myriad of different followers you recruit on your journeys are quite reactive to the things that happen around them. Sometimes the wealth of one-liners even gets tiresome. Overall the dialogue is well written, even if a bit too simplistic. There are dialogue trees, and occasional choices that lead to a different outcome. [...]

The Verdict

Despite its shortcomings, would I recommend the game for anyone? To much of my own surprise, I find myself saying "yes". Driftmoon has a certain flavour to it. In a way, the magical journey you undertake reminds me of those good-hearted children's fables. And maybe that is where the real target group of the game exists. This would be a good introductory RPG for younger players. Maybe something you'd make your own children play, in the hopes that they'd turn out less fucked up than you did.

The game certainly has something to offer for mature audiences as well, presuming that you go in with the right set of expectations. Building a game of this scale with a two person team is no small feat. I am especially looking forward to seeing what kind of results the community will be able to produce with the rich modding tools the game comes with.

If you doubt your ability to stomach simple light-hearted fun with no gritty grim dark dressing, give the demo a go. Who knows, maybe you'll rediscover your inner child. And if that doesn't work out... you can always find a well...​

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Driftmoon

The game is on sale today at $11.99. There is also a large demo available at the developer's site.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  2. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

But... but... ONLYGRIMDARKSHITBROWNPALETTESELLSCODCROWDNEWSHITDORITODORITOFATALEXCEPTIONREBOOT.

^ Top  
  3. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    But is it more of an RPG than Dishonored, or Mark of the Ninja, or Drox Operative? We probably need a graph to properly analyze this problem.

This issue no longer equals total logic?

^ Top  
  4. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    What was that, an IGN review? The review content made the game sound horrible and then you give the game a recommendation at the end! Have you been eating Doritos lately?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I have high hopes of the developer buying me a free beer with his ill gained gains.

Like I said, It'd be easy game to trash totally, but I can kinda see that I simply am not the perfect target group for it. They do try, and do a lot of things "by the book". Have to give that a bit of respect.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Yeesh Magister

Yeesh
    :bro:

Thanks bro.

^ Top  
  7. Koschey Arcane Patron

Koschey
    Thanks for the review, judging from your impressions the game doesn't seem to be aimed at my tastes as well.

^ Top  
  8. Baxter Novice

Baxter
    Im gonna give this a go. This weekend as a matter of fact!

^ Top  
  9. sea inXile Entertainment Developer

sea
    Nice review, and it's interesting to see that even if a game has (major) issues it can still be enjoyable for whatever unique qualities it possesses. Doubt I'll play this one, but thanks for the read.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Seems apologetic, like you didn't want to rip apart an indie. Whatever the case though the writing style and combat description turns me right off.

Hope others enjoy it.

^ Top  
  11. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    All I've seen is the Codex coverage of it, but the writing I can see from the screenshots here and elsewhere look terrible, I'm sorry to say. I have no idea what's 'funny' or 'witty' about, say, that Art of War manual, it's just completely boring. Combine that with the simple combat and... meh. I don't know. I loved Psychonauts so I can take funny games, but I suppose Frayed Knights looked really bad to me too, like someone wrote a fanfiction of the Disney style. So maybe I am just out of the target audience.

^ Top  
  12. Deuce Traveler Prestigious Gentleman 2012 Newfag Patron

Deuce Traveler
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It's been a few weeks. Has anyone else played this game and is willing to share their opinions of it. I don't see myself buying it right now, but it might be something for me once I knock out some Gold Box games and the Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis games.

^ Top  
  13. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    :necro:

because it's 50% off on GOG

^ Top  
  14. Fatty Augur

Fatty
    Anyone play this? Was expecting something more open. I'm in the 7th or 8th area and so far is just go to area > do all quests > go to next area. I'm not really down with that formula. Does it ever open up? Its not really compelling me to continue. Kinda seems like work.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.