Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Expeditions: Conquistador

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Kickstarter; Logic Artists

The year was 2013. The month was May. The air was hot. And humid. Don't forget humid.

Everybody was holding their breath.

Kickstarter. Some called it salvation, some called it damnation. But in May 2013, the first of the RPGs that would herald the coming of the next decade of digital role-playing would be released.

It was called Expeditions: Conquistador. The entire Codex held its breath. Would Conquistador be the bearer of good news or was it an ill omen all along? Would this be the start of a new golden age, or would the Kickstarter bubble burst even before it had begun growing?

RPG Codex Staff put one of the best men on the job of finding out. A man unlike any other. A professor even. I mean come on, how cool is that?

This is ironyuri's review of Expeditions: Conquistador. Read on, dear Codexer, and venture into the first brush of the jungle of the coming wave of RPGs. Will we float on tides of depth and complexity, or drown in a puddle of shit?

Only time will tell. For now, just click the link below and read the fucking review already.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Review: Expeditions: Conquistador

Wizfall

Cipher
Thanks for the review.
Going to buy it this week end now.
The 2/10 dorito joke was fun but if your review is posted somewhere else (like it should), i hope people won't jump to that score without reading the rest of the article.

Repressed Homosexual
Sorry this is a good game but there are no mentions of the numerous flaws we've been talking about in the thread, this review is sadly a bit lacking in objectivity.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Nice review. I think you could've explained more about the characteristics of your party menbers, as I feel your review don't really explain their system, that was really well-done.

I haven't beated the game yet, but I would add a critique on how the game arbitraty limits your deployed units to 6, all while allowing sometimes even twice the number of enemies to attack on you. Felt very artificial that when my warriors startet to get strong the game simply increases enemy numbers, while limiting yours, even though your travelling with a huge party... it's a problematic thing, as allowing you to take 12 guys into battle would kill the pacing, but still they didn't solve it very well...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The review makes me want to check out the game, since there were comparisons to Jagged Alliance. Excidium's and SCO's comments make me cautious, however. Looks like I need to do some homework, but my interest is now piqued.

wergle

Educated
I like this game a lot and am first in line to congratulate LA on a successful first effort but this review doesn't mention any flaws of the game at all. And it's not perfect.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I like this game a lot and am first in line to congratulate LA on a successful first effort but this review doesn't mention any flaws of the game at all. And it's not perfect.
shut up we're trying to get into bed with bitcomposer here

MCA
ironyuri said:
During their crowd-funding[*] campaign, the available information about the game was sparse, and this trend continued well beyond the campaign’s very modest success.

This is absolute nonsense. They released several betas with full functionality. If you played one of the beta releases, you knew full well what you would be getting. And they posted good, informative updates on game mechanics.

After pushing back the release deadline, and revealing to their expectant community of would-be fans that they had signed with a publisher [later revealed only to be their distributon] and implemented certain features that were not part of their campaign, the project seemed from the outside to be drifting.

You could say that South Park RPG was drifting. DNF was drifting, for years. Mysteries of Westgate was drifting. Conquistador was never "drifting". Only the retarded teens cried "THEY MISSED DEADLINE WHERES MAH GAME WEVE BEEN SCAMMED" and the announcement of publisher deal worried people ethically.

On the contrary, this reviewer has chosen to highlight the issues which led to the release of Expeditions: Conquistador (henceforth E:C)

"Issues which led to the release of the game"? I think you might have a misunderstanding of the expression, unless I do.

EG

Nullified
I wouldn't have minded seeing more critique and less overview, myself.

This makes me want to play the damn game, compared to the previous threads on Conquistador. :mad:

Baron

Arcane
ironyuri said:
I can honestly say that I felt no guilt whatsoever as I drove the savage hordes before me and remade Tenochtitlan into a house of God.

writing quality game reviews for rpgcodex metaphor detected

Tigranes

Arcane
Good review for the uninitiated since the game definitely deserves people's attention, but yeah, I do think it was a bit too positive. If that's what ironyuri truly feels, so be it. Perhaps he is so forgiving of others because he is forgiving of himself for not updating the Arcanum LP :smug:

ironyuri

Good review for the uninitiated since the game definitely deserves people's attention, but yeah, I do think it was a bit too positive. If that's what ironyuri truly feels, so be it. Perhaps he is so forgiving of others because he is forgiving of himself for not updating the Arcanum LP :smug:

:martini:

Ps. I don't think Grunker picked it up, but credit for the banners should go to agentorange , to whom I sent the images and explained what I wanted but didn't have time to do myself. He did an excellent job.

felipepepe said:
I haven't beated the game yet, but I would add a critique on how the game arbitraty limits your deployed units to 6, all while allowing sometimes even twice the number of enemies to attack on you. Felt very artificial that when my warriors startet to get strong the game simply increases enemy numbers, while limiting yours, even though your travelling with a huge party... it's a problematic thing, as allowing you to take 12 guys into battle would kill the pacing, but still they didn't solve it very well...

The Spanish were always outnumbered in the New World, and it was only by clever tactics, the spread of smallpox, their use of weapons that had not been seen before (horses, guns, steel), and the fact that many of the conquistadores were veterans of the last wars of the Reconquista that led in part to their military victories. I don't see what's problematic about that, since it demands that the player become better at managing tactical challenges as the game progress; using equipment and traps/barricades/crafting effectively, and using skills to stun or slow enemies down and pick them off. The player has, even with only 6 squad members in combat, a huge advantage over the AI regardless of the deficit in numbers. That's not even to mention that once you get the culverin, it becomes a 7th party member doing AoE damage at the beginning of each combat round.

Zed said:
shut up we're trying to get into bed with bitcomposer here

What do you mean trying? Their PR team showed me a great time last night.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nice write up.

The review makes me want to check out the game, since there were comparisons to Jagged Alliance. Excidium's and SCO's comments make me cautious, however. Looks like I need to do some homework, but my interest is now piqued.
I wouldn't have minded seeing more critique and less overview, myself.

This makes me want to play the damn game, compared to the previous threads on Conquistador. :mad:
It's a good game. I also feel this game is an appetizer to the full blown incline coming up with the 1 million+ kickstarter games. Now's the time to try the h'orderves and whet your appetite.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
So the Codex has finally popped its dorito/mountain dew cherry. I suppose it was only a matter of time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Great review ironyuri! I'm a bit more critical of the game than you, but what criticism I have is mostly nit-picking. This game is one of the most solid RPGs we've had for years.

So :bro: ironyuri!

I did, I just forgot to credit him. Is done now.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Great review ironyuri! I'm a bit more critical of the game than you, but what criticism I have is mostly nit-picking. This game is one of the most solid RPGs we've had for years.

So :bro: ironyuri!

I did, I just forgot to credit him. Is done now.

I agree, it's one of the best things we have seen these last years, and the minor flaws don't detract much from the quality of the game. But there are some flaws and they should have been mentioned in the review...
Still, good overview, thanks ironyuri.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think this might need a second opinion :M

Alright review overall, but for everything I agree with, there's something I don't, and I believe a few very key aspects were either omitted or downplayed. The review was very storyfaggy overall, methinks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom