Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Pathfinder Kingmaker

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
PF: Kingmaker has bloated stats and more encounters per day for increased difficulty but then saddles you with trash builds for your prebuilt companions, so you should generally recruit custom companions if you want companions with actually decent builds.
Oh boy, you are trying really hard to trigger our Desiderius.

Now I want to see BLOOD.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Roguey said:
it does add a lot of different active abilities that I found overwhelming to have to read through, so I largely ignored them and made it through well enough.

If Sawyer had made it you would have read those tooltips

Sentinel

Arcane

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm used to lawful good characters being written as jerks who wish to genocide everyone evil
That's very American Lawful Good approach.

Kingmaker adventure path was written entirely by americans
There was a post (may be by Xamenos ?) where someone kindly spent their time to compare original Pathfinder story and Pathfinder: Kingmaker plot. Owlcats made an intricate labyrinth of pranks out of a boring straightforward setting for rolling dice with pizza and beer.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Wow a reviewer didn't finish the game before writing the review. Codex getting more mainstream every day.
Doesn't even finish the game. This is not the kind of codex review I used to read...
Avoided the final chapter.
Do you lot really want to be among the crowd of people who claim there's only one true ending in a roleplaying game? That anyone who takes the villain's deal which skips content (refusing to fight Letho from The Witcher 2 skips an endgame boss battle, forming a demonic pact in Shadowrun: Hong Kong skips the final section) hasn't actually completed the game? Your attitude is antithetical to the very essence of RPGs.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Do you lot really want to be among the crowd of people who claim there's only one true ending in a roleplaying game? That anyone who takes the villain's deal which skips content (refusing to fight Letho from The Witcher 2 skips an endgame boss battle, forming a demonic pact in Shadowrun: Hong Kong skips the final section) hasn't actually completed the game? Your attitude is antithetical to the very essence of RPGs.
Except it's not just a forum post with fresh impressions but an extensive review that is supposed to view the game from many angles.

Codex Year of the Donut
Except it's not just a forum post with fresh impressions but an extensive review that is supposed to view the game from many angles.
nobody is stopping you from posting a review from another POV

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I believe Sawyer did the wrong thing in trying to make a 3.5-derived system that doesn't appeal to 3.5 fans, but one thing he did right was not dump a bunch of different abilities on you from the start.

Most reviews are written after a single playthrough. This is a hobby, not a job, and even people paid to do this only go through games once (and many times not even then).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Welp, guess I'm too used to Darth Roxors writeups.

Can you cite him going through games multiple times because to my recollection he also only does them once and that's it.

Anyway some fun achievement stats after nearly two years https://steamcommunity.com/stats/640820/achievements

80% of people who start the game at least once finish the prologue, 50% clear chapter 1 (about 13 hours, more if doing optional content), 1/3 clear the first half of chapter 2, 1/4 clear the second half of chapter 2, 1/5 clear chapter 3, 17% clear chapter 4, 12% clear chapter 5, 7% see ending slides, 5.9% beat the bonus chapter. Seems like I'm part of the 1% who finish but can't be bothered to go all the way. Most people come nowhere near seeing this content. :)

Zer0wing

Cipher
Can you cite him going through games multiple times because to my recollection he also only does them once and that's it.
He gets all the way to the end.:M
Saying that I harshly claim you to finish this content bloat ass of the video game twice is putting words in my mouth, that's inhuman request.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He gets all the way to the end.:M
Saying that I harshly claim you to finish this content bloat ass of the video game twice is putting words in my mouth, that's inhuman request.

I also got all the way to the end. :) Bonus content is just that. I don't believe it should be a requirement to have to visit every area and complete every sidequest in a RPG to review it, though the more that's seen, the more accurate it is. I let everyone know that I have no assessment on the few hours of content I didn't see. I doubt it would add much to the review; a few sentences at most.

TheGameSquid

Scholar
So this review comes out AFTER the Definitive Edition has been released, but does not discuss the turn-based combat at all? C'mon.
Couldn't you have just postponed this review by a few weeks in order to take the TB mode for a test drive at least? We're already two years late here...

(Still appreciate the effort behind this review though, lacking in thoroughness though it may be.)

Anyway, I personally love Kingmaker, warts and all, and I'm not even a big RTwP fan. Yeah yeah it has wonky design issues, but it's still some of the most fun I've had with an actual CRPGs in the past 5 years or so.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Didn't talk enough about the combat which I thought absolutely ruined the game. At this point, I think the only RTwP combat system I enjoy is IE.
The most recent update added a turnbased combat system, you should give it a try.

Can anyone actually confirm if the TB combat is actually good?
Yes it is. Reminds me a lot of ToEE.

Shit that's pretty high praise. I'll need to redownload Pathfinder now.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I believe Sawyer did the wrong thing in trying to make a 3.5-derived system that doesn't appeal to 3.5 fans, but one thing he did right was not dump a bunch of different abilities on you from the start.

Most reviews are written after a single playthrough. This is a hobby, not a job, and even people paid to do this only go through games once (and many times not even then).

People who review games for a living especially do not play those games comprehensively. Ain't nobody got time for that, especially if you only have a limited time before you need to put the review up.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
PF: Kingmaker has bloated stats and more encounters per day for increased difficulty but then saddles you with trash builds for your prebuilt companions, so you should generally recruit custom companions if you want companions with actually decent builds.
Oh boy, you are trying really hard to trigger our Desiderius.

Now I want to see BLOOD.

Can't fix stupid. It was the way to bet, but it turned out to be wrong.

Desiderius

Patron

Search my posts and you'll get more of that than you could ever want. Over 2000 hrs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

I usually replay the ones that promise replayability and aren't excessively long-ass (and/or crap). A few examples off the top of my head would be Risen, AoD and all Shadowruns.

Desiderius

Patron
You can switch difficulties on the fly, so for instance go Story Mode to fast forward thru Ch. 1 on third playthrough or whatnot.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
You can switch difficulties on the fly, so for instance go Story Mode to fast forward thru Ch. 1 on third playthrough or whatnot.

Now that I'm redownloading Pathfinder anyways, how's the modding scene? I'd expect that after two years, modders will have already fixed most of the common complaints people have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom