Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: The Banner Saga

Weasel
Quick reminder: this started with a Bubbles comment :M

Proceed with care

a cut of domestic sheep prime

c28d35aab84421983bd1fa149373d42f.jpg

MasPingon

Arcane
RPGCODEX:Doesn't scale to your level

Well, obviously. I wanted to have a section tracing the similarities between the combat systems of the three games, but Infinitron said it would be too grognard-y for our target audience. Maybe next time.

This is a problem with today's Codex in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Well, obviously. I wanted to have a section tracing the similarities between the combat systems of the three games, but Infinitron said it would be too grognard-y for our target audience. Maybe next time.
Ui9jyGw.png

Deleted member 7219

Game is shit apart from the visual design and soundtrack.

The finale felt like getting kicked in the balls.

himmy

Arcane
Kickstarter Fanboyism is rampant on the Codex.

In the past people would consume a lot of promotional material and be so excited that, when the game came out and sucked, there would be a 50/50 chance that they would ignore the gnawing hollowness of disappointment they felt inside and proceed to defend the turd they had waited so long for.

But now, people have invested real money - sometimes hundreds of dollars. It's a whole new level of being hyped up or a game. Now it would be so painful to admit that the game sucks, that there is a 90% chance of pure denial mode.

That, combined with our lack of decent review writers, has seen our once prestegeous magazine release schlock review after schlock review. Stop the decline already.

"I didn't like this game very much and the fact that there are people who disagree reveals some structural faults in contemporary society"

:hmmm:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

"i picked a girl avatar even though i have a dick"
:hmmm:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Lesson learned: No review should be longer than 2000 words.

x4nti

Educated
Nice review. I agree with most of it. As far as I'm concerned BS has had the best tactical combat gameplay of any of the kickstarter games released. I always start out playing tactical rpgs on the highest difficulty. However, for most games even in that setting the combat eventually becomes easy and boring. (Due to this I didnt even finish Divinity OS, Wasteland 2 or PoE) This was not the case when I was playing Banner Saga - playing the game on hard trying to get a perfect record was actually challenging and very rewarding all the way to the bitter end.

I think the importance of thoroughly beta-testing the combat gameplay in a confined environment like they did in BS can not be overstated. AoD did this too and their combat system is also very good.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for the excellent review. The game is on sale on Steam, and I've been meaning to get around to trying it. Now was a good opportunity, so the timing was perfect.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
suddenly began to exhibit a talent for making good role playing games

We already went over this. Banner Saga is a good game but not a good RPG. It does not exhibit the core features that makes an RPG and it's choice and consequences are far too limited and shallow. Good interactive story with a combat mini game.

Saber-Scorpion

Learned
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Brofist for Bubbles. Good review.

Really enjoyed this little game, myself. I can see where it's not for everyone, but I was well immersed by the art/music/atmosphere, and consistently challenged by the gameplay on the hardest difficulty. Played it twice to make more informed choices and get better consequences the second time. More than got my money's worth. Looking forward to the sequel.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bubbles, I probably should have asked this earlier, but what's the rationale behind the US anthem image captions?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I couldn't think of anything else. The alternative would have been "this is a character screen", or "please observe at how many colors there are in this image".

Plus, most of the lines ended up fitting the images reasonably well.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I couldn't think of anything else. The alternative would have been "this is a character screen", or "please observe at how many colors there are in this image".

Plus, most of the lines ended up fitting the images reasonably well.

Or you're just acknowledging that Vikings hold claim to America.

Huh, i thought Bubbles hated the game? (based on his brofists in other threads).

Anyway, good review, particularly the part about what type of player this will appeal to. I believe that's the essence of whether you'll like or dislike this game.

P.s. Never experienced any downright bad AI. (40 hours on Hard)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kickstarter Fanboyism is rampant on the Codex.

In the past people would consume a lot of promotional material and be so excited that, when the game came out and sucked, there would be a 50/50 chance that they would ignore the gnawing hollowness of disappointment they felt inside and proceed to defend the turd they had waited so long for.

But now, people have invested real money - sometimes hundreds of dollars. It's a whole new level of being hyped up or a game. Now it would be so painful to admit that the game sucks, that there is a 90% chance of pure denial mode.

That, combined with our lack of decent review writers, has seen our once prestegeous magazine release schlock review after schlock review. Stop the decline already.

Well I already voted to remove Darth Roxor from the list of posted reviewers...what more can I do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom