Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex reviews Risen 2: Dark Waters

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jul 3, 2012.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Piranha Bytes; Risen 2: Dark Waters

When Piranha Bytes, the brains behind the Gothic series, released Risen in 2009, Darth Roxor went ahead and reviewed it, favorably. Needless to say, he was giddy like a schoolgirl at the prospect of more Risen goodness and agreed to review the sequel for us, Risen 2: Dark Waters.
    Read the full article: RPG Codex reviews Risen 2: Dark Waters

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Took the codex long enough to publish this!: x

^ Top  
  3. Brotherman Bill Arcane Sad Loser

Brotherman Bill
    Why do we review popamole games again? No need to post this at all. Just keep in in the archives, or better yet, retardoland.

^ Top  
  4. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Excellent article! :salute:

^ Top  
  5. mbpopolano24 Arbiter

mbpopolano24
    Thanks for the review. I was already put off by Steam Only - DLC shit, but now I won't even get this when it will be on sale for $5.

^ Top  
  6. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Why did they forget to take notes from how commercially successful ArcaniA was?

^ Top  
  7. Transgressive Grenadier Educated

Transgressive Grenadier
    The overall impression I had from the demo is that PB were 'inspired' by Twitcher.

^ Top  
  8. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    As DR concludes, it boggles me how this game is a near total regression from Risen 1. You'd think they would have learned that they were actually going in the right direction with the first game but just needed to polish some stuff like a better end game, etc. This is probably the final nail in the coffin for PB.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Some PB renegade should write a tell-all about Deep Silver's demands so we can separate the bad ideas from the bad execution.

The review was very thorough, but the quality of writing felt off to me. Eh, whatever. I hope it sticks in the craw of fanboys like Brother None.:)

^ Top  
  10. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    The review is in depth and accurate, really nothing else to add he covered everything . A complete trainwreck for a game i was really looking forward , luckily i still found good games to play recentlty , but its still a big disapointment being a big fan of gothic 1-2.

^ Top  
  11. JDR13 Arcane

JDR13
    That would depend on whether or not you share the same opinion as the reviewer. I thought he exaggerated on a few points, and he makes Risen 2 out to be much worse than it actually is.

I agree it's no Gothic 1-2, but it's better than Gothic 3 was at release, and it's certainly no Arcania.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Has any sales figures been released publicly from Deep Silver? I also wonder how many more "Risen" games they have contracted with Deep Silver.

I'd be willing to bet if PB used the Gothic licence (of which they now own) and did a KS with it, it would do well, provided they went back to the basics of what made the first 2 games great. I'd back them.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    Clickfests, bad controls, water that teleports you out, slow animations, stunlocks, pointless skills... This game sounds like it was made to compete for the most annoying game ever.

I'm glad I read this review because the other thread seemed a lot less critical. Reminds me how even general Codex forum opinions can be very misleading

^ Top  
  14. Saxon1974 Prophet

Saxon1974
    Thanks for the review Darth Roxor.

Sounds like a big step back from Risen, dumbed down attributes\skills\, more linear game, no thanks.

Also, I dont like download only games so I might pick this up once it hits the bargain bin...maybe

^ Top  
  15. Think big! Smoking Dicks

Think big!
    Glad I read this. I was looking forward to Risen 2 after Risen 1.

^ Top  
  16. circ Arcane

circ
    FUCK YES!

Risen 1 was disappointing, and gave me a headache anyway.

^ Top  
  17. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    As would I but I don't really see that happening.

^ Top  
  18. Zlaja Arcane

Zlaja
    RIP Piranha Bytes. Was nice knowing you.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tolknaz Savant Patron

Tolknaz
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    All things considered it is still a good game, but definately a step in the wrong direction for PB. The loss of their trademark things like great exploration and all the impressive ambient stuff npc-s used to do in their earlier games is especially painful for me, as is cutting some key skills like prospecting and hunting related skills. The setting is great in theory, but the writing to support it is very weak (and it has never been PB's forte anyway). And all the endless fedex quests are a slap in the face to all the old PB fans.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    So, PB is like this:
    • Gothic 1 - good
    • Gothic 2 - very good
    • Gothic 3 - mediocre
    • Risen - mediocre (though better than G3)
    • Risen 2 - shit

Seems like they are going downhill :(

^ Top  
  21. Jashiin Arcane

Jashiin
    All things considered it's shit beyond shit. What has happened here is the classic mistake of alienating your loyal fans and trying to dumb down to gain support from an audience that expects mass effect like production values that has no interest in some weird ugly slashfest from germany. This game is a flagbearer of :decline: and probably the end of PB.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Wich points are exagerated ? I dont think any are, i started the game with an open mind with the enw setting , and probably even biased toward pyranah bytes as i like their games, i am not flaming every games there ala skyway and yet i had the exact same impressions when playing the game.
    Its no arcania ? its very close of it , graphically equivalent , dumb plot , weck of a combat system , lets say risen 2 has the head submerging from the pool of shit while arcania is deep down .

^ Top  
  23. Achilles Arcane

Achilles
    That was an interesting read, although I disagree with it in a number of key points. Maybe it's because I was never a diehard PB fan but I thought the game was rather fun. Not as good as Risen of course, but still fun in its own right.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. toro Arcane

toro
    For a new player, the game might seem *decent*. But for a PB fan, this game is a disgrace.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.