Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Do we know the average age of the active Codexian? I think we are seeing a little bit of Codex demographics at work.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
@felipepe has done a great service. May the Codex tits and ass threads always bring him happiness.

:hero:

Oh, and Darklands beat the KOTOR games. Not bad for an older game poorly marketed.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Proof that any combination of two from story, combat, setting can yield an amazing game.

I'm sure people like to believe that, but the combat in Bloodlines was so awful that it should have been automatically disqualified from the top fifty.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Good job. I wounder if you did this for all games, how much more points would the years 98/99 get.
The per-year graph IS of all 223 games.

Do we know the average age of the active Codexian? I think we are seeing a little bit of Codex demographics at work.
I think DU posted this some time ago, the average Codexer is 25-30 IIRC.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm one of the biggest Obsidian fanboys in this galaxy but seeing Alpha Protocol on a list of best anythings still makes me cringe.

That said the list looks solid otherwise. My favorite games are all represented (DX, Morrowind, New Vegas, FO1 and FO2) and some new shit I threw a couple points at even got ranked or a mention (DXHR, Witcher 2).

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm one of the biggest Obsidian fanboys in this galaxy but seeing Alpha Protocol on a list of best anythings still makes me cringe.

Honestly, I can't really think of any area in which AP is worse than Bloodlines.

btw Star Control 2 isn't an RPG.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Honestly, I can't really think of any area in which AP is worse than Bloodlines.
Art style, agency, plot. You can really get your walk and talk on in Bloodlines, in AP the walking's right out and talking happens in missions, and though it has far more narrative reactivity, you (or at least I) don't feel as if you have as much control over it (on account of the lack of walking)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Move Morrowind to third place, remove Dragon Age from the list and replace it with ROA 3. Swap Bloodlines and Divine Divinity. Give The Secret World a pity place in the list of also-rans.

Tigranes

Arcane

Alpha Protocol:

Suffering from troubled development, interminable delays and unpolished controls, Alpha Protocol rated mediocre and sold terribly. At the same time, this is a game which features unparalleled reactivity and nonlinearity, Obsidian's trademark writing, and a gameplay experience that is certainly distinctive. This is a game where you don't just choose from two factions, but choose relations with every character, which has knock-on consequences for the relations between those characters over the course of the story, right up to who you rescue, who helps you, who betrays you, who shoots your nemesis in the face and who rides with you into the sunset. This is a game where those characters' stories and motivations are layered in such a way that you can play several times and never find out their 'big secret'. This is a game where you can raise a false alarm, have the guards run in, blow themselves up on mines you attached to the wall, just before you lob a flame grenade under a truck and the resulting conflagration swallows the rest. This is a game where you can slam a Russian informant's face into the bar table for not cooperating, where your crazy buddy in Hong Kong backs you up with a drive-by machine gun on a subway, and where you can verbally dismantle a man's principles that have defined him for the last thirty years, while dodging his bullets inside a Roman gallery. There are better RPGs than Alpha Protocol, as the list demonstrates; but few of them can deliver the things Alpha Protocol does. That's why you need to play it. Right now. After all, they're selling it for about three cents and half a potato these days.

:troll:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I still can't really understand how a really mediocre game such as Dragon Age is even in the top 50, while games like UU2 are in the honorable mentions.

:rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I still can't really understand how a really mediocre game such as Dragon Age is even in the top 50, while games like UU2 are in the honorable mentions.

:rpgcodex:

The codex secretly loves Bioware and hates Larian, that's my takeaway from this list.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah, Skyrim should rightfully be in the top 70; hating it is just the hivey thing to do right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom