Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I see a distinct lack of Skyrim.
That's probably what places like NeoGAF will think when looking at the list... "No Skyrim? List is shit."

On the subject, I'm proud to say that there was not a single vote for Oblivion nor Fallout 3. :obviously:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Move Morrowind to third place, remove Dragon Age from the list and replace it with ROA 3. Swap Bloodlines and Divine Divinity. Give The Secret World a pity place in the list of also-rans.
There much worse games than Dragon Age: Origins on here.

It's a good game but it's not the best of anything. I just dislike such a flawed game being on a BEST ALL TIME thing.

I don't really care though.
Welcome to RPGs. Alpha Protocol did some really creative things and deserves a spot. Certainly over something like Icewind Dale.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Oh yeah, Icewind Dale is :retarded: too. Unless you amend the saying to "For a great game, choose at least one out of writing, combat, and soundtrack".

Cosmology of Kyoto should have been on there too, and much higher than most of the drivel.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I wish Arcanum didn't make the top 5 every damn time. For all its good parts it is just too heavily weighed down with shit. Codex gonna Codex, I guess.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It is the best Troika game, and with Bloodlines getting sixth place there isn't much wriggle room there. Thus, Bloodlines's bloated rating threatens the integrity of the entire list.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I wish Arcanum didn't make the top 5 every damn time. For all its good parts it is just too heavily weighed down with shit. Codex gonna Codex, I guess.
Then make a better RPG :smug:

(speaking of which, I haven't tried your latest build.)

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It is the best Troika game, and with Bloodlines getting sixth place there isn't much wriggle room there. Thus, Bloodlines's bloated rating threatens the integrity of the entire list.
The list has no integrity, stop being a drama queen.

It speaks to a deeper cultural malaise within modern RPG fandom.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
45% of all voters gave points to Bloodlines

Telengard

Arcane
Changeover in positions from last year's, in case anyone was curious:

THE WINNERS
Dragon Age Origins: +15
Ultima Underworld: the Stygian Abyss: +12
Wizardry Crusaders of the Dark Savant: +11
Wizardry 8: +9
Wizardry 6 Bane of the Cosmic Forge: +6
Darklands: +5
Gothic 2: +5

THE NEWBIES
Dark Souls: +37
Alpha Protocol: +22
Ultima 7 Serpent Isle: +12
The Witcher 2 Assassin of Kings: +10
Quest for Glory 4 Shadows of Darkness: +8
Anachronox: +4
Geneforge: +2
Pools of Darkness: +1

THE LOSERS
Icewind Dale 2: -26
Divine Divinity: -20
Icewind Dale: -16
Baldurs Gate: -10
Realms of Arkania Blades of Destiny: FELL OFF (-10)
The Temple of Elemental Evil: -10
Arx Fatalis: -9
Dark Sun Shattered lands: -9
Diablo: FELL OFF (-9)
Diablo 2: FELL OFF (-8)
Wasteland: -8
Knight of the Chalice: -7
Lands of Lore Throne of Chaos: FELL OFF (-7)
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic -6
Curse of the Azure Bonds: FELL OFF (-5)
The Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall: -5
Pool of Radiance: -5
Ultima 7 The Black Gate: -5

THE SAME OLDS
Fallout 2: 0
Baldurs Gate 2: 0
Arcanum: 0
Vampire Bloodlines: 0
Might & Magic VI Mandate of Heaven: 0
Elder Scrolls Morrowind: +3
Gothic: +3
Realms of Arkania 2 Star Trail: +3
Betrayal at Krondor: +2
Jagged Alliance 2: +2
might & magic 3 Isles of Terra: +2
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: +2
System Shock: +2
Deus Ex: +1
Fallout New Vegas: +1
Neverwinter Knights Mask of the Betrayer: +1
Planescape Torment: +1
Ultima 5 Warriors of Destiny: +1
The Witcher: -3
Dungeon Master: FELL OFF (-2)
Might & Magic 7 For Blood & Honor: -2
Fallout 1: -1
Might & Magic World of Xeen: -1
Ultima 4 Quest of the Avatar: -1

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey, the objective was to take out the popamole games of the list. Why the Witcher 1 and 2 are in the top 50? I suspect a potato conspiracy in here.

Severian Silk

Was it really that hard to create a text list? How is the codex supposed to get search engine hits when everything is in image format?

:killit:

Given the abundance of questionable taste in the list, I suspect these highly prestigious votings beg a certain join year newfag cut-off.
Some oldfags still need a regular prostate exam sanity check, for sure, but, man... Dragon Age? Son I am disappoint.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dragon Age beats Ultimas 4, 5, 7 and 7 part 2? *scratches head*
This is not the only weird thing. For example Risen (#52) is clearly superior to IceWind Dale (#22) (in before them apples and oranges), but the list is still a huge improvement over previous ones. Kudos to Felipepepe.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good stuff. Nice to see Gothic 2 in the top-10 where it belongs, and that QFG managed to crack the list. Though it does always surprise me how much people around here love Morrowind.

I have to say that it pains me to see some true genre defining classics overshadowed by newer, arguably derivative games.
I don't know that derivative necessarily equates to inferior. Just because something is defining in its genre doesn't mean that everything that comes after it is inherently worse. I would have a hard time arguing that Ultima I is better than 7, for example.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So... The Holy Trinity™ has finally been upset.

Seriously... Baldur's Gate II better than Arcanum? Really? No.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seriously... Baldur's Gate II better than Arcanum? Really? No.
As with most dichotomies on this list (KotOR I vs II, PST vs. Everything, etc etc) it depends on whether you're looking more for solid atmosphere and writing, or things being more solid from a 'game' perspective. The Codex tends to fall on the side of the former, but not always (Morrowind > Gothic 2, for example).

I also suspect BG2 has a much greater 'critical mass' of people who've played it vs. Arcanum.

Tigranes

Arcane
SElvEnJ.jpg

Best/Worst Cover Art: DISCUSS!

(Worst: Obviously Geneforge or Anachronox...)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom