Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
New Vegas in the top ten. As. I. predicted.

And you also did not vote, so we could laugh at your selection of cRPG's while you continue to shitpost with no reference.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I COULD COMPLAIN ABOUT SHIT BUT FUCK THAT GREAT JOB FELIPEPE YOU ARE A TRU BRP

V_K

Arcane
Judging by points vs votes rating the only thing the new system achieved is getting Wiz8 on the Top10 (well, that and a bit of shuffle among the top5, but who cares really). Now if you sort the list by highest average, that's when things really start to get interestig. Which make me think that those who suggested a "rate every game you've played" system were probably right.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Great list and good job felipepepe, best Top list on the Codex ever. :)

Does anyone know if it is possible to link only one post to other sites? So only the first post is visible if you click on the link.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Not too shabby when you consider all the sleeper agents that were activated to vote. I actually thought Obsidian and BioWare would rank even higher.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Was it really that hard to create a text list? How is the codex supposed to get search engine hits when everything is in image format?
Nope, it's extremely easy to do so:

# Game
1 Planescape: Torment
2 Fallout 1
3 Fallout 2
4 Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
5 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
6 Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines
7 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
8 Fallout: New Vegas
9 Gothic 2
10 Wizardry 8
11 Deus Ex
12 Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
13 Jagged Alliance 2
14 Dark Souls
15 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
16 Betrayal at Krondor
17 Baldur's Gate
18 Darklands
19 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords
20 Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss
21 The Temple of Elemental Evil
22 Icewind Dale
22 System Shock 2
24 The Witcher
25 Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven
26 Gothic
27 Knights of the Chalice
28 Might and Magic: World of Xeen
29 Alpha Protocol
30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
33 Dragon Age: Origins
33 Ultima VII: The Black Gate
35 The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
36 Pool of Radiance
37 Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
37 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
39 Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle
40 Icewind Dale II
40 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
42 Wasteland
43 Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
43 Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
45 Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra
45 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
47 Anachronox
47 Arx Fatalis
47 Geneforge
47 Pools of Darkness
51 Albion
52 Drakensang: River of Time
52 Risen
54 King of Dragon Pass
54 Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
56 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
56 Divine Divinity
56 Mount & Blade: Warband
59 Dungeon Master
59 Mass Effect
61 ADOM - Ancient Domains of Mystery
61 Neverwinter Nights 2
61 System Shock
64 Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
64 Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna
66 Champions of Krynn
66 Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
68 Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters
69 Dark Heart of Uukrul
69 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
71 Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
71 Wizards & Warriors
The problem is the format, that xenforo screws... :(

EDIT: K', I'll just add this as a spoiler to the OP.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
AGqTEdM.png

:negative:

2u71JVh.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool Graph of INCLINE:

Finally, here's a cool graph of all the 223 games voted, displaying the INCLINE throughout the years. Here you can see the number of games released, their total points and the average of points per year since 1979!

DBSO9mI.png

I love this graph. It visualizes what happened to CRPGs in the mid-1990s and the 2000s quite nicely.

Ravel myluv

Learned
Good list!

People seem to discover that bestsellers will always have an advantage over niche games... Explains the Dragon Age position.
Not everybody has played 100+ RPGs, surprise surprise!
And overall, I think this lsit did very well to counter that by letting people vote many points for their favourite niche game.

I'm still surprised by how high the Troïka games are, considering how shit flawed they are! VTMB is essentially 50% popamole in the time spent playing it, killing monsters by the dozen in a pure action style.

Funny to see Bioware be in front of Obsidian in the best companies list! :smug:
On that matter, I don't quite understand the average score for companies, numbers don't seem to add up.

PST rightfully number 1, glad I made a bit of a difference by giving it 4 more points than the overrated Fallout 1, which should be behind Fallout 2 to be honest!:smug:

Ravel myluv

Learned
Judging by points vs votes rating the only thing the new system achieved is getting Wiz8 on the Top10 (well, that and a bit of shuffle among the top5, but who cares really). Now if you sort the list by highest average, that's when things really start to get interestig. Which make me think that those who suggested a "rate every game you've played" system were probably right.

Nope.
Not if you don't take into account the number of votes. I find a shitty RPG nobody voted for, give it 10/10. It's number 1 on the list.

Not to mention that ranking and evaluating are two very distinct processes. One might give the same mark to two games, but be absolutely outraged that one is considered better than the other.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I like how Bethesda only has two games on the list, the newest one from 2002. :lol:

EDIT: Shows how lack of competition drives companies into the ground quality-wise.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to mention that ranking and evaluating are two very distinct processes. One might give the same mark to two games, but be absolutely outraged that one is considered better than the other.
Exactly. One thing is to ask people to give points to their favorite games, the other is to rank every goddamn RPG they played. Not only that takes A LOT of time and effort that not everyone will put into it, but is a system that does not properly show how much people like the game and encourages trolling & down-voting. Regardless of its merits, a game like Dragon Age: Origins would never make into the top because a lot of people would give it 1/10 or something like that, forcing the average down. In the end, that "rate every game you've played" system is nice in theory, but would be absolute shit in practice.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I forgot to vote right?
No wonder RotT isn't in the first 50.

V_K

Arcane

Nope.
Not if you don't take into account the number of votes. I find a shitty RPG nobody voted for, give it 10/10. It's number 1 on the list.

It's not that anything stops anyone from using a "minimum number of votes" barrier for that matter. Even if we take only the games from the current Top50 that have at least 100 votes thrown at them and rearrange them by average instead of total, that'll be a drastically different Top15 (a much better one in my opinion).

In the end, that "rate every game you've played" system is nice in theory, but would be absolute hit in practice.
That's a nice slip. I completely agree ;).
And personally, I see nothing wrong with downvoting. Any game has its flaws, and a flaw isn't simply an absence of merit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom