Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I doesn't have to make sense, it just has to come out right.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm pretty happy with the results. All my votes made it in, but I guess that was already guaranteed since I voted for stuff like Fallout and Deus Ex.

I'm glad New Vegas ranked so high.

Also, seeing Darklands up there, I feel like a dickhead not for remembering it while voting. I would have given it the full 5 points.

Last edited:

Ravel myluv

Learned
Alpha Protocole at number 8 or 11 should tell you something about the viability of an average score system.... :what:

buzz

Arcane
If I'm reading this formula correctly, it means that games with few votes and low average would significantly improve their standing. I'm not sure I agree with such concept.
They should still be at the bottom of their lists.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I actually like this second list by averages better. It puts Dragon Age and KOTOR further down, and the Ultima games, Jagged Alliance 2, and Quest for Glory IV further up.
Except it favours games which got half of 5s and half of 0s (zeros) over those which got 4s across the board, so it's not really that accurate.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Whatever, it removes Fallout: New Vegas from the Top 10 and kicks Icewind Dale II out of the Top 50, so added it to the OP. :M

Besides, I think it gives a different look at the Codex's tastes... seems closer to be a list of the games people really love.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Whatever, it removes Fallout: New Vegas from the Top 10 and kicks Icewind Dale II out of the Top 50.

Added it to the OP, it should give people a different perspective.

:roll: This is rather silly. You should have put in the "Ages" one instead.

Also it's spelled "Bayesian" with an a

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That's the fun of being MY thread, not a Codex front page article. :M

But nice suggestion, will add the Ages as well.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I actually like this second list by averages better. It puts Dragon Age and KOTOR further down, and the Ultima games, Jagged Alliance 2, and Quest for Glory IV further up.
Except it favours games which got half of 5s and half of 0s (zeros) over those which got 4s across the board, so it's not really that accurate.

A game that everybody rates 4 out of 5 shouldn't be able to get the top spot.

Metatron

Augur
So basically this list traded Icewind Dale for Wizardry 8 for extra kodex edginess. Nice to see a blobber in the top 10 but maybe next time we should upvote one that doesn't suck brutally. Then again, it's probably the only one 75 % of the youngfags here actually played.

Good top 4 though and I guess I can live with Arcanum for what it at least tried to do as well.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
So basically this list traded Icewind Dale for Wizardry 8 for extra kodex edginess. Nice to see a blobber in the top 10 but maybe next time we should upvote one that doesn't suck brutally. Then again, it's probably the only one 75 % of the youngfags here actually played.
Get the fuck out of here heathen! :x

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT WIZARDRY 8!

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Try using the bayesian average:
(C*m+R*v)/m+v

C - the general mean (I guess that would be 2.5 in our case)
m - minimum number of votes (say 30 or whatever you want)
R - the average score for the particular game
v - total number of votes for the game
If I'm reading this formula correctly, it means that games with few votes and low average would significantly improve their standing. I'm not sure I agree with such concept.
Reviewing the wikipedia article, m is some kind of fudge factor, not a minimum number of votes and it's based on how wide you expect the spread of results to be.

The general idea of the formula seems to be to drag down high results, and drag up low results with the effect being larger the smaller the sample size is. I think the idea is that if you divide a sample into small groups those with small sample sizes will tend to skew the "true" mean of that subgroup. So it expects each group's mean to be closer to the population's mean than it is.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

A game that everybody rates 4 out of 5 shouldn't be able to get the top spot.
You're kind of missing the point here.

Lhynn

Arcane
on what V_K brought up
Infinitron
felipepepe
metacodexcritic ftw? i agree that it would be far from fair, but i trust most codexers a lot more than any gaming critic that is not related to this site.
Perhaps make just make a list of people that is allowed to rate those games, have them rate it and then make an average?
Plus it would do a lot to keep away the less interesting new games that people recently introduced to the genre will most likely vote for.
including yourselves i would like to see how sea, cboy, vaultdweller, hiver, excidium, cosmo and, delterious (or w/e his name is) amongst other knowledgeable people, would rate games. perhaps just taking the list of the first 50 and among those only those they you have played.

It would also work as a nice guide to see what games are must plays for new people, as it would guarantee a varied demographic of critics with decent taste.

Just a thought tho.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Great job felipepepe. Can we have a high-res version of "Champions of Incline" graphic ?

And would a list of say top-20 highest average rating produce a different list, or would it not me much difference ?

EDIT: OK I see you already posted that. Thanx, cool list.

As for the top RPG list, I'm very surprised at Alpha Protocol relatively high up.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom