Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC games - VOTE THREAD

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Prey has no fucking business being in a top RPG list. It should've been disqualified.

Executr

Cipher
5 points:
Championship Manager 01/02
Counter-Strike 1.6
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Max Payne

3 points:
Battle Realms
SWAT 3 - Close Quarters Battle
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
GTA III
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin

1 point:
Age of Empires
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Hidden & Dangerous 2
Total War: SHOGUN 2
Civilization IV
Rome: Total War
Red Baron 3-D
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Planetside 2
Moto Racer 2

Deflowerer

Arcane
Voting only for 10 games.

5 points:

Resident Evil 1 (1996)
Persona 1
Tomb Raider
Resident Evil 4
Yakuza 0

3 points:

Doom (OG)
F.E.A.R.
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Devil May Cry
Hotline Miami 2

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Prey has no fucking business being in a top RPG list. It should've been disqualified.

The line between Prey, STALKER, Deus Ex HR, Dishonored and others is definitely thin. Can't rewrite history though, so... important thing is what's on the 101 list and what isn't.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It took me a while to come up with a list, once I realized it's not about *favorite* or *most influential* games, but objectively the best. Happy to see that StarCraft, Heroes III and Alpha Centauri are most likely going to end up in the top 5.

Anyway, I'm amazed at how many of these games were released circa 1999. Clearly the Renaissance era wasn't only about RPGs.

5 points

1. Quake / 1996 / GOAT FPS
  2. StarCraft: Brood War / 1998 / GOAT RTS
  3. Heroes of Might and Magic III / 1999 / GOAT TBS
  4. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / 1999 / GOAT 4X
  5. Max Payne / 2001 / GOAT TPS

3 points

1. Half-Life / 1999 /
  2. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun / 1999 /
  3. Sacrifice / 1999 /
  4. Outcast / 1999 /
  5. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver / 1999 /

1 point

1. Clive Barker's Undying / 2001 /
  2. Worms 2 / 1997 /
  3. Dungeon Keeper 2 / 1999 /
  4. Oddworld: Abbe's Oddysee / 1997 /
  5. Heretic II / 1998 /
  6. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast / 2002 /
  7. PowerSlave / 1996 /
  8. Caesar III / 1998 /
  9. Captain Claw / 1997 /
  10. Resident Evil II / 1998 /

prengle

Savant
nothing special, just cherrypicking:

***5 points***
pathologic [2005]
tension/the void [2008]
stalker shadow of chernobyl [2007]
thief the dark project [1998]
rollercoaster tycoon 2 [2002]

**3 points***
quake [1996]
half-life [1998]
x-com ufo defense [1994]
silent hill 2 [2001]
tetris: the grand master 3 - terror-instinct [2005] (technically arcade-only but it runs on a winxp based board - you can run it natively on a windows pc :oops:)

*1 point*
yume nikki [2004]
the neverhood [1995]
team fortress 2 [2007]
simcity 4 [2003]
the sims 2 [2004]
ftl [2012]
tomb raider 2 [1997]
rayman 2 [1999]
beyond good and evil [2003]
oddworld: abe's oddysee [1997]

christ all of the fucking games ive played are rpgs, old console exclusives, or furry bait. guess i need to play more goddamn videogames :?:?:?

felipepepe if im stretching the definition of a "pc game" too much by including something thats technically an arcade game running on a windows machine, then just lump tgm3 in as "tetris" or whatever

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Top 5 will have something like, Thief, StarCraft, Heroes III, Alpha Centauri. As it should.
Starcraft got 187 points (I've counted Broodwar too since it can't exist without Starcraft and is an expansion) with 58 people voting on it (and 27 people giving it maximum rating) and it will probably take #1 spot. I've skimmed through Thief votes and they got divided between 1 and 2 so I'm guessing it will be lower, Heroes III will probably do better but worse than SC. In comparison my beloved Sacrifice (and the best game ever) got 44 points which is outrageous. 16 people voted on it with 5 people giving it 5 points and 4 giving it 3.

ncJNWRW.jpg

howlingFantods

Learned
Top 5 will have something like, Thief, StarCraft, Heroes III, Alpha Centauri. As it should.
In comparison my beloved Sacrifice (and the best game ever) got 44 points which is outrageous. 16 people voted on it with 5 people giving it 5 points and 4 giving it 3.

ncJNWRW.jpg

The good news is that your beloved game remains just as good as it was before people assigned arbitrary amounts of points to it.

Silly Germans

I'm quite impressed at how diverse the list is. I just did the first page and we got votes for 253 different games.
Have you ever made these lists via non public submissions ? It would be interesting to see
whether subliminal bias due to seeing the other lists affects the results.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The good news is that your beloved game remains just as good as it was before people assigned arbitrary amounts of points to it.
Well, any buzz around this game is good in my book. I would love to see a sequel for that game and that won't happen unless many people will ask for it. The problem is not that many people know about this gem of a game, it sold badly despite great reviews. Its low popularity is also the main reason it got so few votes (although it's still not bad, e.g. Disciples 2 got 17 points only despite being better than most HoMM games).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well, yeah, that's what I meant. It will be great to get top X games from various genres.

This was mentioned a ton of times before the poll started and yet it wasn't structured that way. Also if it were known from the start, the voting would probably be quite different. So I wouldn't expect it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom