Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top Non-RPG PC games - VOTE THREAD

Ivan

Arcane
5 Points
Devil May Cry 3
Mark of the Ninja
Spelunky
Hollow Knight
Rayman Origins

3 Points
Thumper
Dead Space 2
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
Sekiro
Shadow Warrior '97

1 Point
FEAR
Thief 2
The Talos Principle
The Dream Machine
Hexcells
Invisible Inc.
Bayonetta
Yakuza 0
To The Moon
Sleeping Dogs

*please, please, seek out Thumper. It kicks so much ass

Silva

Arcane
5 Points
Devil May Cry 3
Mark of the Ninja
Spelunky
Hollow Knight
Rayman Origins
I-I6D2sN29D-4fAybsNpNQRKo2DLRr9BGUTDRvkkf_je-tz0kDv8vy0I8tK_NbpV__SMiabfsRUSSHSEr8kBrZJ4oi99aJmNMRd17UibTDo=w240-h228

Alien, bring Ivan back. He was a true gent who liked Stalkers and Soulsborne. No way he would have such shitty taste.

"""Gnomes"""

Barely Literate
5 Points-

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Quake
1602 AD
Dominions 5
Metal Gear Solid V: TPP

3 Points -

Master of Magic
Just Cause 2
Peggle Nights
Dungeon Keeper
Stubbs the Zombie in Rebel Without a Pulse

1 Point -

Supreme Commander
World in Conflict
Company of Heroes
Samurai Warriors 2
Thief: Gold
C&C: Red Alert 2
Infra Arcana
Grand Theft Auto 4
Doom
Dead Rising

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
objectivity can fuck off

5 points:
- Little Big Adventure 2
- Outcast
- Discworld 2
- GTA San Andreas
- Duke Nukem 3D

3 points:
- Heroes of Might and Magic III
- Discworld Noir
- The Curse of Monkey Island
- Grim Fandango
- GTA Vice City

1 point:
- Tomb Raider 3
- Saints Row 2
- Mafia
- Metal Gear Rising Revengenace
- Burnout Paradise
- Batman Arkham City
- Hitman - Blood Money
- Thief the Dark Project
- Blood
- The Longest Journey

Ivan

Arcane
5 Points
Devil May Cry 3
Mark of the Ninja
Spelunky
Hollow Knight
Rayman Origins
I-I6D2sN29D-4fAybsNpNQRKo2DLRr9BGUTDRvkkf_je-tz0kDv8vy0I8tK_NbpV__SMiabfsRUSSHSEr8kBrZJ4oi99aJmNMRd17UibTDo=w240-h228

Alien, bring Ivan back. He was a true gent who liked Stalkers and Soulsborne. No way he would have such shitty taste.

No shame in loving what you love Silva

Soulsborne falls in the RPG category (in my book). STALKER should/could go on my list after more internal deliberations. Actually, it might be a very easy swap for 1 point, trading To The Moon. We shall see :)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
5 Points
Devil May Cry 3
Mark of the Ninja
Spelunky
Hollow Knight
Rayman Origins

Those are pretty good games though.
In fact the only game in his entire list I don't believe deserves much praise is Sekiro.

EDIT:
Rayman Origins is a specially good platformer that get barely any praise.

Ivan

Arcane
I include Sekiro b/c it's more of a straight-up action game than any of the other titles. I think it fits here nicely. :D

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
I'll dare to participate, too exciting exersice to miss. List is extremely subjective and not include games which I haven't played. Also, one game per franchise only.

5 points:
XCOM: Terror From The Deep (1995, MicroProse). It just so happens I played the sequel first. When I met the original afterwards, it didn't impress me. Much more grim appearance and especially music themes are to my liking.
Heroes of Might and Magic III (1999, New World Computing). I'm very fond of the second game in series but gameplay wise third is just better.
Starcraft (1998, Blizzard). The game which showed me the world of competitive play and it drowned me even worse with release of WC3. Anyway, SC's a truly great game, one of the best, ever.
Prince of Persia (1989, Jordan Mechner). Besides the fact that it's great, defining and bla bla bla it's still enjoyable! Every few years I keep replaying it.
Dungeon Keeper (1997, Bullfrog Productions). Design of this game is phenomenally good. And it's such a joy to play. Sequel was very good too but like something was missing.

3 points:
Warcraft 3 (2002, Blizzard). The game is fantastic but despite one more race and the addition of RPG elements I consider it below SC.
Evil Genius (2004, Elixir Studios). Aesthetics and overall design are just excellent. The only decent "successor" of DK that I know of.
Doom (1993, id Software). As any of the above, it's still very enjoyable to play.
Quake (1996, id Software). Fucking great.
Subnautica (2018, Unknown Worlds Entertainment). Beatiful and not too tedious for a survival game. Outstanding.

1 point:
Sid Meyer's Civilisation V (2010, Firaxis Games). As much as I loved the older games (AC included), they're all kinda suck due to mass town spreading>all. The Vth finally got mechanics against it but got retarded AI as well so the game shines in MP only. Can't rate any higher.
The Long Dark (2017, Hinterland Studio Inc.). While the "main" story mode suck and still incomplite anyway, the main sandbox mode is glorious and able to give a really memorable experience.
This War of Mine (2014, 11 bit studios). Engaging.
Stardew Valley (2016, ConcernedApe). A true escapism.
Emperor: The Rise of the Middle Kingdom (2002, BreakAway Games, Impressions Games). Monumental.
Hotline Miami (2012, Dennaton Games). Feisty and fun.
Carmageddon (1997, Stainless Software). Pure joy.
Duke Nukem 3D (1996, 3D Realms). Another classic.
Oxygen Not Included (2019, Klei Entertainment). My kind of Asperger's.
Alley Cat (1984, Sinapse Software). Probably the very first PC game that I've played. Not the best start, consider how fine this game is. A follow-up to take that for granted and to discover so much shit games afterwards...

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
5 points:
Rain World, Space Rangers, Cryostasis, Silent Hill 2, Dark Messiah

3 points
Homm 3, Dishonored 2, Max Payne 2, Interstate 76, MGS 5

1 point
Batman Arkham City
Crysis 1
Doom 3
Bioshock
Freedom Force
Homeworld
Worms
Outcast
Beholder
Papers please

Ivan

Arcane
5 points:
Rain World
This is one game I've tried twice to get into and failed. Any tips on turning the corner and start enjoying it. I think I feel too aimless/directionless and instead of feeling the joy of exploration I just get frustrated and quit. Maybe third time is the charm, eh?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I include Sekiro b/c it's more of a straight-up action game than any of the other titles. I think it fits here nicely. :D

I know is a straigth up action, when I said that it was the only game I disagree upon the inclusion I meant that I don't believe it's a good enough game to be in "best games" list.

5 points:
Rain World
This is one game I've tried twice to get into and failed. Any tips on turning the corner and start enjoying it. I think I feel too aimless/directionless and instead of feeling the joy of exploration I just get frustrated and quit. Maybe third time is the charm, eh?

Rain World is somewhat similiar to STALKER in that you have to invest a significant amount of time before you can really start to understand the gist of the game and see any payoff to your actions.
For starter's, while playing you should somewhat "think" like an animal (the core loop of the game is all about that in fact), particularly a small/frail and quite frankly not that nimble animal. So brute forcing your way is only going to end up failing. Instead you have to adopt a playstyle of caution and quick thinking. Instead of blindly explore a new area, first familiarize with your current nest and explore it's surrounding areas bit by bit. But some inquisitiveness is also required as the creatures have their own goals which migth not be contridictory to your own.
If you're having troubles with the entire system surrounding the locks and death, just think of the symbols when you rest/die a sort of mix between a keycard and clearace rate (you rest your keycard raises 1 level, you die it's gets rolled back).
I would say the most glaring flaw of the game is the static camera which prevents you from properly scouting the next areas.
It's an admitedly hard game and alot of times unfair, but then again neither is nature and the experience is all about the struggle to survive in the natural world.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
5 points:
Rain World

What DJOGamer said and try to play on Monk difficulty(easy) first to familiarise yourself with the rules and then start over on normal difficulty. I recommend not to read any wikis or guides because exploration and discovery is one of the pillars of the game. If you are stuck look up walkthroughs on youtube, no shame in that

index.php

Arcane
5 Points:
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Lemmings
The Sims
Worms Armageddon
Creatures (1996)

3 Points:
Caesar III
Desperados
Black & White
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Master of Orion II

1 Point:
Dungeon Keeper
Majesty
Cave Story
Little Big Adventure 2
Plants vs. Zombies
The Settlers II
Monkey Island 2
Doom (1993)
The Incredible Machine
Theme Hospital

Rev

Arcane
It's hard to pick just 20 games and which ones should get 5, 3 and 1 points, there are a few games that won't make the cut but that I still think could probably be better than some of the ones that make it, it's just that they resonated less with me for whatever reasons. For example, I loved Vice City throughout my teenage years and spent countless hours playing it: and I also think it's a great game, just not necessarily top 10 all time (excluding RPGs), but I have a greater attachment to it than, say, Prey (2017) or Quake or Doom, so it's a bit higher in the list. Same for other games. So it's more of a personal list than a kind of "objective" top 20.

I've also decided against including games that were released in 2018 and 2019 (or 2020, for that matter), since I prefer to wait a bit more to see how they stand the test of time. I'll probably forget a few older gems too, but let's give it a try.

5 points
Half-Life 2
Mafia
Portal 2
Rome: Total War
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

3 points
Age of Mythology
Dishonored
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Max Payne
Outcast

1 point
Batman: Arkham City
Darksiders
Doom (1993)
Little Big Adventure 2 (although I should definitely replay it, but I have very fond memories of this in the late 90s)
No One Lives Forever 2 (same as above, I should replay both NOLFs tbh but I remember them being great)
Prey (2017)
Psychonauts
Quake
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Total War: Shogun 2

laclongquan

Arcane

King of Dragon Pass (removed because it's on Top Rpg list. For fuck's sake, people!)
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (and AX)
Startopia
Children of the Nile
Caesar 3
Pharaoh

Zeus
Theme Hospital
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Romance of Three Kingdom 10 (the pc version is even earlier than console)
Deadlock2 Shrine Wars

Railroad Tycoon 3
Bayonetta
Desperados
Civ IV (with all expansions)
Worms Armageddon
Warzone 2100
MechCommander
Heroes of Might and Magic 2
UFO Extraterrestrial
Homeworld

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
5 points

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Thief 2
Thief 3
Mark of the Ninja
Robin Hood The legend of Sherwood

3 points

Crysis 2
Shadow Tactics Blades of the Shogun
Age of Mythology
Hitman Blood Money
Dark Souls 2

1 point

Styx Shards of Darkness
Aragami
Prey 2017
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Deus Ex 1
GTA San Andreas
Tomb Raider Legend
Stronghold Legends
Amnesia The Dark Descent
Sekiro

Edit: Apparently Dark Souls 2 and Deus Ex 1 are RPGs so I replace Dark Souls 2 with SWAT 4 and Deus Ex 1 with Prince of Persia Warrior Within.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
You should do a series poll as well. It's tough to just pick one game from a franchise. Most franchises have at least 2 good games in them.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
5 points:

HoM&M 3
Dungeon Keeper
Myth TFL
Quake
The original UFO/XCOM/whatever it's named in your shithole

3 points

WH Dark Omen
Age of Empires 2
Master of Orion 2
Panzer General 2
Master of Magic

1 point

Total Annihilation
Incubation
Hexen 2
Fantasy General
Beasts and Bumpkins
Indiana Jones Fate of the Atlantis
Blood
Silent Hill 2
Settlers 2
Thief

The only thing I'm 100% certain about is 5 points for HoM&M, otherwise I don't really think I can objectively decide why Fantasy General is 1 point, but PG2 3 points so the list is kinda random, but whatever, let it stay this way.

Bonnie

Educated
5 points:
Cossacks 3
Age of Empires II
Heroes Might and Magic II
Beneath a Steel Sky
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

3 points:
Dune II
Warcraft II
Starcraft
Primordia
Dreamweb

1 point:
Starcraft
Loom
The Dig
King's Quest VI
The Last Express
The Legend of Kyrandia
Doom
Worms Armageddon
Ace of Spades
Terra Bellica

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
5 Points:
Elite
Pirates!
Jagged Alliance 2
Grand Prix Legends
Silent Hunter 3 (with mods)

3 Points:
Panzer General
Shogun Total War
Close Combat 2
Ageods American Civil War
NHL Hockey

1 Point:
Mafia
Transport Tycoon
Silent Hunter 4 (with mods)
Ultima Underworld
Panzer General 2
Colonization
Ageods Revolution Under Siege
Motorsport Manager (with mods)
Ultimate General Civil War
The Hunter Classic

Silva

Arcane
Someone please clarify:

Are Jagged Alliance, Deus Ex, Dark Souls, etc. valid for this poll or not? Neither is a pure RPG but genre hybrids instead. They should qualify for the poll IMO.

By that logic King of Dragon Pass is also RPG, as the main characters have stats and we take decisions for them. Even Alpha Centauri, as those stats come from the leaders philosophies and we take them in-character at various points in the game.

felipepepe

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Someone please clarify:

Are Jagged Alliance, Deus Ex, Dark Souls, etc. valid for this poll or not? Neither is a pure RPG but genre hybrids instead. They should qualify for the poll IMO.

By that logic King of Dragon Pass is also RPG, as the main characters have stats and we take decisions for them.

felipepepe

Maybe read the first post, but to help, nothing from the Best RPG 101 list is allowed, and nothing else that's obviously an RPG

JA2, DE and DS are all on that list

edit: System Shock 1 or Jagged Alliance 1 are not, nor is Deus Ex: Invisible War :happytrollboy:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom