Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Dialogue Systems

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I guess Morrowind's system would have been more immersive(TM) if they gave most of the NPCs at least one unique question-answer pairing possibly leading to longer dialogue branches fleshing out these NPCs even more if reasonable (what someone called whitelist earlier itt). The way it is though feels really lazy and like a Wiki you browse through, yes. Every NPC and their mother just parrot what the others say, which is getting annoying even if you didn't already read it before. Did they even give them proper faction-dependent answers? I think the last time I tried to enjoy that game I quit it after I asked that ruler in that southern fortress (something with ebony ... Castle Ebonheart) about himself. He used the same shitty line every other NPC used when questioned about him. Oh yeah, and there was the difficulty curve which hit rock bottom long before that, that drew me away too.
The wheel isn't evil per se, it's an ok visual choice that just does the same exact job as a numbered, or not-numbered, list: yet these "limitations" make make it the worst possible choice for dialogue/writing/story driven games, whereas it works great for popamoley shit. It's something I really disliked in TW2 as well, because it often "forced" the player through the story, rather than narrating the story to the player: dialogue in TW2 really felt like "press A on your remote if you want Geralt to go right, B for left" or "Red button for ending one, Blue button for ending two". The same, identical outcome and choices could have been delivered through a much better (and complex) system.
No, don't water it down, the wheel is teh ultimate eeeeeevil.
305204-raceimage04.png

about TW2:
I'm not so optimistic that a cinematic experience (TM) like The Witcher 2 would still work if they didn't limit the dialogue options like that though. If you just give the player the tools and say "here, figure the story out on your own" then I bet most would get upset because in their games it would more likely turn out like a session of listening to gramp's confused old stories than "Hero and Whiteknight in Shining Armor - Awesome Edition". Which would be bad for games that are that much mainstory-driven.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom