Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview RPG Elements in Dragon Commander: Preview at PCGMedia

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Tags: Divinity: Dragon Commander; Dragon Commander; Larian Studios

Larian has just tweeted this preview at us, and the reason they did so is that this isn't your regular Dragon Commander preview, but rather one focused on the game's RPG elements. Whether it does a good job on that, is for you to judge:

Michael takes a look at the press beta for Larian's Divinity: Dragon Commander. Specifically, we're looking at the RPG elements, how they affect the world, your comrades, and battle.​

You can preorder Dragon Commander on GOG and on Steam.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I think it's funny that in a video about how all the political decisions are valid he takes a cheap jab at the Republican party. Good job, asshat.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  3. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  4. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    We have a reputation to consider.

^ Top  
  5. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    I liked Larian response about the game being supposed too much hard. This line of thinking of: "I'm a noob and got my ass kicked so something must be wrong with the game" is really silly. Design by butthurt should something banned from video games.:lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    Holy shit this looks good. I had no idea. I wasn't paying any attention to this at all when I should have been. You just got a fan, Larian.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Every time I see a video or a preview of this game I end up with this same exact feeling: Jesus Christ what a shame that all these awesome mechanics and all this depth was put into a game that has the core gameplay of a twitchy action game bred with an RTS.

Man. The amount of potential wasted here. I look at everything that surrounds the core game and I'm in love, but I just cannot imagine having fun with that abomination of third-person shooting/micro-management of tiny guys that makes up the meat of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Except that you can skip all the RTS parts by having your generals fight the battles for you.

^ Top  
  9. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Pity the combat is RTS. Look forward to picking it up at a discount and just playing with 'auto resolve.'

^ Top  
  10. godsend1989 Scholar

godsend1989
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Maybe they will make a third person rpg in the same world next time, also i'm not into this rts type either.

^ Top  
  11. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Not sure if serious.

^ Top  
  12. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    FEWLS : x

^ Top  
  13. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker

The fact that you can skip the game's core mechanic, or that it plays as easily as Select All -> Charge, really makes the game sound so much more compelling guys!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    a) that's not what I have written
    b) the possibility of playing the game as a TB risk like game with auto resolve function for combat has been there from the beginning, in which case bringing more units to the fight making you more likely to win makes sense, not to mention that the disposition of the general you delegate to lead your armies should have an effect too, so C&C
    c) from the videos showing the RT part that I have seen (and from the beta against AI that I have played) it is obvious that turtling is not an option and you need to quickly occupy resource gathering spots, to which end having more initial units helps, but it is not just quick rush > win - your unit upgrades, cards played or dragon skills have huge effect on the game

^ Top  
  15. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    This does not differ from "the possibility of skipping the game." The base-line is that the RTS/action part makes up a good part of this game's gameplay, and you're trying to say "nono, just autoresolve everything and you will be playing a turn-based game!"

My comment was directed at:

and not at you, but now that we're at it, why is:

this important when I can just autoresolve combat and win with surperior TB-skills?

Either way, a great deal of effort has gone into what looks like a pretty chaotic mix between third-person shooter RPG and real-time strategy, which just isn't my favourite type of game. Surely, lamenting this fact is okay? Imagine the same game with the same systems except with tactical, turn-based combat. I just jizzed a little, I believe.

^ Top  
  16. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    You're almost as bad as the dumbfucks who wish the Syndicate sequel would be turn-based...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    RTS part isn't the core mechanic, it's one of the 3 core parts that make up the game. RTS is the most visible and marketable part (who doesn't like dragons with jetpacks?) but you'll likely spend a lot of time on the Raven or the strategic map as you will in RTS, at least for single-player. The prototype of the game was a board game after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    Why isn't Grimrock turn-based? I want it turn-based!
    Why isn't Gothic turn-based? I want it turn-based!
    Why isn't Total War turn-based? I want it turn-based!
    Why isn't Haven and Hearth turn-based? I want it turn-based!
    Why isn't ARMA2 turn-based? I want it turn-based!
    And so on...

Oh, and RTS part is very good, screw all the Grunkers.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    A great potential for tasteful rape. Anyway, as a loyal Girls & Corpses subscriber, I am looking for Undead Princess scenario.
    Also, why the fuck reptiles need boobs?

^ Top  
  20. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    Difference is RTS is shit.

^ Top  
  21. godsend1989 Scholar

godsend1989
    Divinity: Original Sin
    rpgcodex is full of tb faggots this dayz.

^ Top  
  22. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gicusan Educated

Gicusan
    Guys, there are good RTS games out there. Total War is enough reason. And a lot of other good and tough games. More tough than good but tough is good.
    You guys exaggerate and you might lose here and there.

It is true that most RTS is shit, but isn't that true for most RPG as well?

That aside Dragon Commander looks very interesting despite the fact that I am almost sure that its RTS part will fall in the shit category. And, as I will not be able to play on hard with auto-resolve all the time, I will give Larian a chance and study its RTS.

^ Top  
  24. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    I don't like large scale RTS like this, it looks slooooooooooooooooooooow as fuck

Total War is some boring shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    :hmmm:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.