Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Elements in Dragon Commander: Preview at PCGMedia

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Divinity: Dragon Commander; Dragon Commander; Larian Studios

Larian has just tweeted this preview at us, and the reason they did so is that this isn't your regular Dragon Commander preview, but rather one focused on the game's RPG elements. Whether it does a good job on that, is for you to judge:

Michael takes a look at the press beta for Larian's Divinity: Dragon Commander. Specifically, we're looking at the RPG elements, how they affect the world, your comrades, and battle.​

You can preorder Dragon Commander on GOG and on Steam.

Last edited by a moderator:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think it's funny that in a video about how all the political decisions are valid he takes a cheap jab at the Republican party. Good job, asshat.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think it's funny that in a video about how all the political decisions are valid he takes a cheap jab at the Republican party. Good job, asshat.

9958.png

DeepOcean

Arcane
I liked Larian response about the game being supposed too much hard. This line of thinking of: "I'm a noob and got my ass kicked so something must be wrong with the game" is really silly. Design by butthurt should something banned from video games.:lol:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Holy shit this looks good. I had no idea. I wasn't paying any attention to this at all when I should have been. You just got a fan, Larian.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Every time I see a video or a preview of this game I end up with this same exact feeling: Jesus Christ what a shame that all these awesome mechanics and all this depth was put into a game that has the core gameplay of a twitchy action game bred with an RTS.

Man. The amount of potential wasted here. I look at everything that surrounds the core game and I'm in love, but I just cannot imagine having fun with that abomination of third-person shooting/micro-management of tiny guys that makes up the meat of the game.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Every time I see a video or a preview of this game I end up with this same exact feeling: Jesus Christ what a shame that all these awesome mechanics and all this depth was put into a game that has the core gameplay of a twitchy action game bred with an RTS.

Man. The amount of potential wasted here. I look at everything that surrounds the core game and I'm in love, but I just cannot imagine having fun with that abomination of third-person shooting/micro-management of tiny guys that makes up the meat of the game.
Except that you can skip all the RTS parts by having your generals fight the battles for you.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Pity the combat is RTS. Look forward to picking it up at a discount and just playing with 'auto resolve.'

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Maybe they will make a third person rpg in the same world next time, also i'm not into this rts type either.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jesus Christ what a shame that all these awesome mechanics and all this depth was put into a game that has the core gameplay of a twitchy action game bred with an RTS. Man. The amount of potential wasted here.

Pity the combat is RTS. Look forward to picking it up at a discount and just playing with 'auto resolve.'

Maybe they will make a third person rpg in the same world next time, also i'm not into this rts type either.

FEWLS : x

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Except that you can skip all the RTS parts by having your generals fight the battles for you.

Seems like the RTS strategy is to 1) have more units than the other guy and 2) select all and charge

The fact that you can skip the game's core mechanic, or that it plays as easily as Select All -> Charge, really makes the game sound so much more compelling guys!

evdk

Patron
The fact that you can skip the game's core mechanic, or that it plays as easily as Select All -> Charge, really makes the game sound so much more compelling guys!

a) that's not what I have written
b) the possibility of playing the game as a TB risk like game with auto resolve function for combat has been there from the beginning, in which case bringing more units to the fight making you more likely to win makes sense, not to mention that the disposition of the general you delegate to lead your armies should have an effect too, so C&C
c) from the videos showing the RT part that I have seen (and from the beta against AI that I have played) it is obvious that turtling is not an option and you need to quickly occupy resource gathering spots, to which end having more initial units helps, but it is not just quick rush > win - your unit upgrades, cards played or dragon skills have huge effect on the game

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
evdk said:
b) the possibility of playing the game as a TB risk like game with auto resolve function for combat has been there from the beginning, in which case bringing more units to the fight making you more likely to win makes sense, not to mention that the disposition of the general you delegate to lead your armies should have an effect too, so C&C

This does not differ from "the possibility of skipping the game." The base-line is that the RTS/action part makes up a good part of this game's gameplay, and you're trying to say "nono, just autoresolve everything and you will be playing a turn-based game!"

evdk said:
c) from the videos showing the RT part that I have seen (and from the beta against AI that I have played) it is obvious that turtling is not an option and you need to quickly occupy resource gathering spots, to which end having more initial units helps, but it is not just quick rush > win - your unit upgrades, cards played or dragon skills have huge effect on the game

My comment was directed at:

oasis789 said:
Seems like the RTS strategy is to 1) have more units than the other guy and 2) select all and charge

and not at you, but now that we're at it, why is:

evdk said:
turtling is not an option and you need to quickly occupy resource gathering spots, to which end having more initial units helps, but it is not just quick rush > win - your unit upgrades, cards played or dragon skills have huge effect on the game

this important when I can just autoresolve combat and win with surperior TB-skills?

Either way, a great deal of effort has gone into what looks like a pretty chaotic mix between third-person shooter RPG and real-time strategy, which just isn't my favourite type of game. Surely, lamenting this fact is okay? Imagine the same game with the same systems except with tactical, turn-based combat. I just jizzed a little, I believe.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
RTS part isn't the core mechanic, it's one of the 3 core parts that make up the game. RTS is the most visible and marketable part (who doesn't like dragons with jetpacks?) but you'll likely spend a lot of time on the Raven or the strategic map as you will in RTS, at least for single-player. The prototype of the game was a board game after all.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Why isn't Grimrock turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't Gothic turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't Total War turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't Haven and Hearth turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't ARMA2 turn-based? I want it turn-based!
And so on...

Oh, and RTS part is very good, screw all the Grunkers.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why isn't Gothic turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't Total War turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't Haven and Hearth turn-based? I want it turn-based!
Why isn't ARMA2 turn-based? I want it turn-based!
And so on...

Difference is RTS is shit.

Gicusan

Educated
Guys, there are good RTS games out there. Total War is enough reason. And a lot of other good and tough games. More tough than good but tough is good.
You guys exaggerate and you might lose here and there.

It is true that most RTS is shit, but isn't that true for most RPG as well?

That aside Dragon Commander looks very interesting despite the fact that I am almost sure that its RTS part will fall in the shit category. And, as I will not be able to play on hard with auto-resolve all the time, I will give Larian a chance and study its RTS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom