Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Games where priests are NOT corrupt.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Reached Armonia - in-setting Rome - and there is many corruption. Also Pope just got assassinated. At least we have crusaders fighting demon invasions. And, unlike wrath of trannies, even with corrupt leadership crusaders actually won previous Holy Wars.

jimster

Educated
Are there any games at all that feature Orthodox Christianity? or some in-universe Orthodox-like religion. It seems like stories in general that feature religion tend to be Catholic influenced, church being affiliated with the regime and wars and stuff.

Humbaba

Arcane
Are there any games at all that feature Orthodox Christianity? or some in-universe Orthodox-like religion. It seems like stories in general that feature religion tend to be Catholic influenced, church being affiliated with the regime and wars and stuff.

BG has an Ottoman mosque, that's about the closest thing I can think of

Song_of_the_morning_temple.png

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Black Book is set in late-19th century Russia, with Orthodox churches featuring prominently:

YlCBjD9.jpg

gdKdQro.jpg

Saduj

Arcane
Played it a long time ago but Divine Divinity had churches and priests and from what I remember, they were good guys.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
You save your game in churches in most Dragon Quest games i played they also protect you from the evil kingdom that wants your head, cure ailments and resurrect party members. Most people that hates the church irl have never been a member of one and are influenced by jewllywood in their perception of them, i used to teach woodworking in one and even had barbecues with the priests there, cool guys.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Black Book is set in late-19th century Russia, with Orthodox churches featuring prominently:

YlCBjD9.jpg

gdKdQro.jpg

Isn't the game about Witches? How are witches in the game?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Black Book combines Orthodox Christian beliefs with remnants of Slavic mythology and folklore, specifically pertaining to that particular region of Russia (around Perm, where the developer Morteshka is located):

U62CMB8.jpg

1uDT8Wb.jpg

Harthwain

Magister
Video gaming has its share of uncompromising priests. Trying to limit this to RPGs is going to skew the results.

I mean, you have:
  • Reverend Ray McCall in Call of Juarez, who deals with sinners wielding double colts while having the option to quote the Bible the whole time.
  • The Texttorcist: The story of Ray Bibbia - it has the corrupt Church, but you play as an exorcist Ray Bobbia who's literally banishing demons and dispensing justice in the name of the Lord.
  • In Forgive Me Father you can shoot Cthulhu monsters as a priest, because We Can't Expect God to Do All the Work (literally the quote made by the developer of the Steam forum of the team).
And these are just three examples (one of which is very recent) that I can name off the top of my head. I am sure there are more games using the archetypes of an uncompromising/pure/good/hardcore/cool priest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom