Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News RPG in a Box orthos out on Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Justin Arnold; RPG in a Box

RPG in a Box has been released on Steam. Basically, this isn't a game, persay, it's a kit that allows you to make your very own CRPG and release it to the unsuspecting masses. It features tactical turn based, menu driven turn based, and real time combat. It allows you to make top down, isometric, orthagonal, and even first person perspectives. It includes visual scripting for events and dialogue. There's even several tutorials and examples via the RPG in a Box channel on YouTube. There's no sale on this, and it's currently $29.99. Honestly, not too bad a price considering what you get. Anyway, here's some info:

RPG in a Box lets you easily turn your stories and ideas into games and other interactive experiences! As its name suggests, it contains everything necessary for doing so, all packaged together "in a box". The software is designed with a fun, beginner-friendly approach in mind as to not require any programming or modelling knowledge, while still providing a wide range of customization and openness. You can export your game to a standalone format for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, allowing others to play it without needing to own RPG in a Box!

Looks like the only huge limit to this thing, after watching a bunch of the videos, is that you're limited to voxel graphics(which they include an editor for you). They have examples of blobbers, a roguelike mode, and several other subgenres. You can even export your game to Windows, Linux, or MacOS. Pretty crazy.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Looks neat, can one make a blobber in this?

Looks like it, see the first person perspective. How complex that blobber will be is another question (or if it will even be a blobber or just limited to one chars)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Pretty cool. The voxel only thing is sad though, they look rather ugly

Yeah, but if you're looking for just 2D, apparently the thing can take your voxel models and generate 2D directional sprites from them.

You use that and a fixed perspective camera, and no one will ever know it's voxels. It'll look like 2D pixel art.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's good to see that we're now training up future devs to make shit games right from the off.
Some people created great games on RPGMaker, but most of those were shit. The reality is that most people are unable to make good things, no matter what tools they have.

The amount of work required to actually create something outside the norm on RPGMaker is pretty insane. It's true you can almost replace every system with custom scripting, but at some point you would have to question whether it's worth doing and just using an engine that allows you more freedom.

I would assume this one is much the same in that if you want to do something outside what the devs expect, you are probably going to have a difficult time with it.

Viata

Arcane
It's good to see that we're now training up future devs to make shit games right from the off.
Some people created great games on RPGMaker, but most of those were shit. The reality is that most people are unable to make good things, no matter what tools they have.

The amount of work required to actually create something outside the norm on RPGMaker is pretty insane. It's true you can almost replace every system with custom scripting, but at some point you would have to question whether it's worth doing and just using an engine that allows you more freedom.

I would assume this one is much the same in that if you want to do something outside what the devs expect, you are probably going to have a difficult time with it.
Sure, but my point is still valid.

Ysaye

Arbiter
The big limiting factor with this tool is there is only four types of combat available, these being:
  • Turn based multiple character (Realms of Arkania / old Ultima / Krondor) style on grid
  • Wizardry Menu Based (but with only menu options of attack, item, flee)
  • Rogue-like
  • Real time Rogue-like

The lack of magic as an option will define many games that are fantasy based.

The scripting for dialogue and a range of other toggles is pretty good and flexible.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
jsfxr is a scourge on human ears, worse than having no sound at all.

Last edited:

Curratum

After spending 300 hours working on my Grimrock mod, I spent a week looking at this in detail while it was still in early access.

Ultimately, I found it too limiting even for the humble idea I had in mind. :(

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The big limiting factor with this tool is there is only four types of combat available, these being:
  • Turn based multiple character (Realms of Arkania / old Ultima / Krondor) style on grid
  • Rogue-like
  • Real time Rogue-like
I was kind of wondering about the menu based thing if there was an option to add menu items and script them. That seemed fairly limiting to me. I was also wondering if you could make a screen for the menu options where you could hit buttons for those options as opposed to the text, a la Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.

I've seen demo videos of them having guns and other ranged weapons. I was curious if spells could be added of if you'd have to fudge them in as "items".

Ysaye

Arbiter
  • Rogue-like
  • Real time Rogue-like
I was kind of wondering about the menu based thing if there was an option to add menu items and script them. That seemed fairly limiting to me. I was also wondering if you could make a screen for the menu options where you could hit buttons for those options as opposed to the text, a la Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, etc.

I've seen demo videos of them having guns and other ranged weapons. I was curious if spells could be added of if you'd have to fudge them in as "items".

I spoke with the developer about adding menu items and he said he would like to do this but for the release version he didn't have the time - he has just punched out the most basic combat options he could come up with; if it sold okay then he might look to put it in later. I feel for him - he basically said he was going to abandon the project about a month a go but he and his wife decided to just give it one shot to release it "in full" (as much as possible) - a tale all too common with indie developers.

Similarly to yourself, I was thinking that if I was to do a spell system with a game, I would probably fudge it as an item based usage.

The program is made in Godot and I think with some experience in that area people could theoretically make add ons to the basic RPG maker.

I think one of the considerations is that the use of voxels will make any games that are made in this "niche" so going wild with battle options probably isn't the best strategy for him. You can get different styles of voxels and there is probably a lot more people can do artistically than what has already been done as part of the demos that people have put together - eg. I think if I was going to do a First person dungeon crawler, I would go with a flattened pixel art approach for enemies / NPCs rather than a 3d model - would look so much better, I also I think you could do some more fun stuff with the palette than what most have done so far, noting you can import voxel objects from MagicaVoxel and other better voxel art programs.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I spoke with the developer about adding menu items and he said he would like to do this but for the release version he didn't have the time - he has just punched out the most basic combat options he could come up with; if it sold okay then he might look to put it in later. I feel for him - he basically said he was going to abandon the project about a month a go but he and his wife decided to just give it one shot to release it "in full" (as much as possible) - a tale all too common with indie developers.

That's kind of a bummer. I checked out his Trello since he posted a link to it on the Steam discussion board. It seems like he's still got a lengthy "To Do" list and "Plans". I did not see any mention of a "spell system", though it may have been listed as something else or a combination of things he wanted to do. To be honest, the first I heard about this thing was in Turn Based Lover's list of things coming in May.

The program is made in Godot and I think with some experience in that area people could theoretically make add ons to the basic RPG maker.

That's kind of impressive. I know Godot's been gaining in popularity, but it's neat to see a pretty advanced example of it. As for RPG Maker, I've played with it after getting it on one of those ridiculous sales they occationally have for it when it's 80% off. It never seemed terribly interesting to me, which this one actually does seem more interesting to play around with. I doubt I'd ever make anything with it, but it looks fun to play with.

I think if I was going to do a First person dungeon crawler, I would go with a flattened pixel art approach for enemies / NPCs rather than a 3d model - would look so much better, I also I think you could do some more fun stuff with the palette than what most have done so far, noting you can import voxel objects from MagicaVoxel and other better voxel art programs.

These things are mentioned on his list of things to do. I haven't played with this thing yet, but if the voxel editor is fairly usable, the "billboard sprite" option might be easier for making sprites than just doing them by hand. I would have to assume there's some touching up to do on them after they're generated, but it probably would make for a good start.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Can someone port the entire Goldbox to this engine?

The sad thing is that you could probably do a pretty faithful port of the series except for the fact that there is no easy way to implement the spell system.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The sad thing is that you could probably do a pretty faithful port of the series except for the fact that there is no easy way to implement the spell system.

He updated the Trello to include some features to work towards a version 2.0, so I assume it's selling well enough for him to keep going. He's mentioned spells a few times in the discussion board on Steam, so he is aware of the need for such things. More then just spells, though, I would be interested to see a skill system which could include spells. Maybe it's a pie in the sky thing, but adding the ability to have scriptable functions tied to the character or critter that are native to the entity itself which can have actions triggered by actions or situations or even a key press, would be a great feature. There should also be a character creation ability as well, even if it's just an interface to assign values and add those scriptable "skills" to the character.

He mentions in the Trello that he'd like to add Workshop support which I think is a fantastic idea. That way, people who use this can either use scripts and assets other people have made or take a look at similar scripts as examples in order to make their own.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What does "orthos out" mean?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom