Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG in which you play as a bad character/devil

Ryzer

Arcane
I'm searching for a game similar to Dungeon Keeper but in the Role Playing category and because I've been playing Dungeon Keeper 1, I thought it would be cool for an RPG. So far I've found very few games where the player is the antihero.
Any recommendation would be cool.

just

Liturgist
kotor and kotor2 dark side
killing bums asking you for 5 creds and acting like the biggest faggot in the galaxy
2 is more fun coz you get to see kreia seething for every retarded shit you do

Peachcurl

Cipher
Some similar topics for inspiration:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/being-evil-in-rpgs.144863/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/evil-protagonist-rpgs.133477/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/game-with-the-best-evil-playthrough.124770/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/games-with-the-best-evil-playthrough-poll.124805/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/what-rpg-had-the-best-evil-playing-option.78877/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/evil-demonic-rpg.78343/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/evil-in-rpgs.54413/

Especially the poll may be interesting.

Some things that came to my mind, besides all the obvious games that have an alignment choice (Baldurs Gate et al, Mass Effect, KOTOR, etc.):
  • Overlord: probably somewhat similar to Dungeon Keeper, with a bit more RPG (but only very very light RPG mechanics. Frankly: it's not an RPG).
  • King's Bounty: Dark Side: I love the King's Bounty games, and this one, well, is "Dark Side". Obviously. Unfortunately, one of the weaker entries in the series. Though not the weakest.
  • Succubus: pretty recent game. In fact a bit too much NSFW. Well, actually way to much. Can't recommend. Light RPG mechanics, more of an action game.
  • Saints Row: If you are fine with the "modern" setting. Some entries in the series have more, some have less RPG mechanics. Avoid the most recent one. Also avoid the vaguely connected Agents of Mayhem.

spectre

Arcane
T(y)ranny is the obvious new-ish choice, but I think you should brush up on the classics if you hadn't: Mask of the Betrayer and Planescape.
The latter two might set the bar a bit too high for the rest of the genre.

Unless you want to be the lulzy type of evil (since you're referencing dungeon keeper), in that case something like Fable might me more up your alley.
Or the KOTORs mentioned earlier. As a matter of fact, going evil might be the only way to slog through kotor 1 without dying of cringe.

A lot of people liked Jade Empire, but I've never gotten far into it, so I'll just name-drop this.

Biggest problem, IMO, is that if you want and evil overlord experience, you should probably stick with strategy games, cause they're the only thing with proper scale.
As an unorthodox suggestion, Crusader Kings is basically a medieval sandbox with plenty of roleplaying, including being actually evil.
As in, imprisoning and executing people who don't agree with you and burning villages to further your agenda, none of the beat up a beggar vs. give gold to beggar nonsense
a lot of RPG writers tend believe is what evil people would do on a daily basis.

Readher

Savant
I'm searching for a game similar to Dungeon Keeper but in the Role Playing category and because I've been playing Dungeon Keeper 1, I thought it would be cool for an RPG. So far I've found very few games where the player is the antihero.
SWTOR and the already mentioned MotB are probably the best when it cones to playing evil characters.

Being evil in KOTOR is just being chaotic stupid. SWTOR in comparison has both the typical Sith-like "me see me kill" choices, but also a lot of pragmatic, logical ones that are simply very ruthless and immoral. I only ever played Imperial characters, so I'm not sure how those choices look like for the Republic ones, but all Imperial characters had opportunity for some very good evil choices. Imperial Agent is mostly agreed to be the best storyline in the game, and it has a bunch of those choices too.

You need to stomach the whole MMO gameplay though, which while not the worst one around, isn't the most engaging either.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Only RPG's where you start off as a villain/demon or RPG's where you can become one?

1. Mask of the Betrayer.
2. Vampire The Masquerade:Bloodlines(yeah,you are a vampire,though you can maintain a high Humanity score,you are still a blood drinking fiend of the night,and have to do some very evil things in order to survive and thrive in The World of Darkness).

hanzohasashi

Barely Literate
In Pathfinder WotR you can literally become a devil. I have not yet played as one though so I can't really say much more about it.

blessedCoffee

c3RyYWl0amFja2V0cyBmb3IgaW50ZXJuZXQgdXNlcnM=
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Antihero is not the same as bad though – which you stated as your interest, in the thread's title – so elaborate, friend. You want to play as Guts*, or Wyald*?

*If you don't know Berserk, I'm sorry for you.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
So far I've found very few games where the player is the antihero.
All this BS about Choice and Consequence and alignment in RPGs is a big fuckin lie. There is not a single RPG where you can be evil for real. The last time they let you play as someone who wasn't either stupid as fuck or a goody two shoes failing at being edgy and being gay as fuck instead was way back in fuckin wizardry 4. You can recruit Stalin and Genghis Khan as party members in Escape From Hell from the boomer era of 1990 but you can't be very evil yourself in that game. Fable is a goofy ass game but it's the best you're going to get unless you want to blow the dust and cobwebs off an ZX Spectrum or sumfin.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Kingdome Come deliverance. Playing as a goody two shoes character makes you miss 1/3 of the quests in the game lmao.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
In fact a bit too much NSFW. Well, actually way to much.
Not NSFW enough you mean. Can't cram in too much gore and T&A into a game not fuckin possible.
Have you tried this specific game?
D1P baby, did some shilling on release since it was the first non-fag game in a long ass time. Peeps forget this shit was nothing anyone would bat an eye at in gaming before console kiddies took over and games had to be made family friendly even on PC cuz multiplat releases became standard and Soyny and Cucktendo would cockblock you hard if you got spicy at all. Can't even get the tits out these days mane. You should try Sex with the Devil, in one of the endings Satan chops off your arm, gives you the middle finger with it and then fucks you with it. 10/10 game right there.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
In all honesty, playing a Cruel character in Pillars 1 is can be pretty entertaining sometimes.

If Dungeon Keeper has inspired you to evil rule, then Path-finder Kingmaker is right up your ally. You can be a full tilt despot. There are many RP opportunities for the dark side.

Beans00

Augur
Underrail.

Tchort genuinely did nothing wrong, yet you are forced to destroy them to help some asshole freaks(faceless) although you can fight the faceless too it doesn't change anything besides making the end game more annoying.

The institute of tchort are some of the nicest people in the game, yet we were supposed to believe they are evil because 'reasons'.

Derringer

Prophet
Beyond the obvious Bioware and Obsidian recommendations Dark Half for the snes has a dual protagonist campaign with one of them being a devil slaughtering towns.

Zlaja

Arcane
In Vampyr you can be a 'naughty' vampire and suck all NPCs dry. Makes you look more pale and you get red eyes.

PS: The more you feed the more chaotic the place gets, so you have to deal with more mobs as a consequence.

Readher

Savant
So far I've found very few games where the player is the antihero.
All this BS about Choice and Consequence and alignment in RPGs is a big fuckin lie. There is not a single RPG where you can be evil for real. The last time they let you play as someone who wasn't either stupid as fuck or a goody two shoes failing at being edgy and being gay as fuck instead was way back in fuckin wizardry 4. You can recruit Stalin and Genghis Khan as party members in Escape From Hell from the boomer era of 1990 but you can't be very evil yourself in that game. Fable is a goofy ass game but it's the best you're going to get unless you want to blow the dust and cobwebs off an ZX Spectrum or sumfin.
Have you played SWTOR? They give you a lot of options to do some really evil stuff.

One of the Sith Warrior's companions is a slave you can torment at your leisure with a shock collar and literally break her.
You can order execution of a bunch of young Padawans.
You can set explosives on a ship full of asleep civilians just to leave no witnesses.
You can cause a giant earthquake on a planet that causes immense casualties just to achieve the goal of your faction.
You can shoot down transport ships with refugees attempting to escape.
You can booby trap bodies of fallen soldiers, even though you get info that kids would often scavenge them.
And there are like over 100 other choices you can take that make you kill people of varying degree of innocence that I don't remember specifics of. The best thing about the game is that a lot of the evil options aren't "stupid as fuck" and a lot of the good options aren't "goody two shoes". Playing Light Side Sith Warrior for example, you will still be doing working towards the Empire's domination and do questionable things, just without the murderhobo tendencies that the Sith often display. Likewise, Imperial Agent's "Dark Side" options are mostly "can never be too careful" type of decisions that are very ruthless, but also largely pragmatic, instead of killing for the sake of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom