Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Lineage Chart

Butthurt Boy said:
It wasn’t supposed to be comprehensive or definitive or whatever I got accused of, it was a visual outline for a post I was writing. The further away it got from the main thread, the less I gave a shit.

HERES A FEW PARAGRAPHS TO ILLUSTRATE HOW I DONT GIVE A SHIT

deuxhero

Arcane
BAH! People are pointing out flaws in the facts of something I made! I was only using it to support an argument!

If you don't know what something links to or from don't include it, don't just pull something out of your ass to put on the paper.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Charts like that are retarded just by definition. It's even worse than those all idiotic 'X worthwhile games for Y' and 'top 100 best <insert genre here> games of all-time'.
I doubt it's even possible to create a proper one, including any valuable informations derived from an actual research. Big part of data is going to be either unverifiable assumptions or subjective bullshit the author thought out while sitting in toilet.

As for the stuff OP linked, I think it's completely worthless and the only actual, objective information are only the titles. It doesn't mention all games meaningful for the analysed genre, it visualizes some esoteric shit games are deriving from one another without even naming it, all of this without any timeline, company and tech/engine separation, things like that.

Don't know this guy. Is it some aspie perceiving the making of gigaenormous charts as some kind of authistic fun? Then he should do it for the drawer and not bother the world with his phantasmagories (inb4 prosper).

Also: once again Codex succeed to deliver (butthurt) :lol: :salute:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Ion Prothon II said:
Also: once again Codex succeed to deliver (butthurt) :lol: :salute:
This. :lol:
Pool of Radiance - Goldbox - Eye of the Beholder
Oh wow, I haven't noticed it before.

Also
Wizardry - Bard's Tale.
I can be wrong, but bard's instruments in Wiz6 may be influenced back by Bard's Tale.
Can you remember another game where musical instruments allowed bard to use magic? Magic items like "Horn of Awaken (four charges left)" do not count.

DraQ

Arcane
Yeah, the idea is cool, but he is trying to force some points with some ridiculous "X+Y=Z" that makes no sense...VtM Bloodlines + Morrowind = Oblivion? Final Fantasy + Dungeon Hack = Dark Cloud?

Besides, this one seems more interesting and bullshit-free:

computer-rpg-map.jpg
Nice graphics, but it's bullshit too - hardly any relations but series/successors - you can gather as much by looking at series/numbers and release dates of their originators.

Charts like that are retarded just by definition. It's even worse than those all idiotic 'X worthwhile games for Y' and 'top 100 best <insert genre here> games of all-time'.
Why? It would be interesting to map out how games influenced each other and the idea flow.

I doubt it's even possible to create a proper one, including any valuable informations derived from an actual research.
Yes, actual work is teh hard.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, Thief was in fact influenced by System Shock 2 - a game, that was released almost a year later. Huh?

J1M

Arcane
Stage 1 complete. You have angered and demotivated someone else on the internet.
Now move to Stage 2 and create your own, superior chart. I'd suggest a piece of software that lets you input the directional influences and builds the diagram automatically. Maybe UML will actually be good for something!

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Butthurt Boy said:
Panescape: Torment – It was developed at the same time as Baldur’s Gate II, which spent it’s early development time in upgrading the engine to a new standard. Panescape used this new engine and managed to release first because it didn’t have to spend the man hours on it.

:notsureifserious:

MMXI

Arcane
I think something like this could work if things were more organised and better structured. For a start, the diagram should be chronological, with games at the top being the earliest and games at the bottom being the most recent. Perhaps have years as distinct rows. You'd also have to limit the number of connections between games, else modern games may have way too many lines going into them due to the larger back catalogue of games to draw inspiration from. You don't want to have to draw a line from one game to another just to represent the influence of one small feature.

So I'd stick with three. Each game can have a maximum of three arrows going into them, which represents their three biggest influences. No more. The process of adding a game would be streamlines too, and this would probably lead to a less error prone end product.

DraQ

Arcane
I think something like this could work if things were more organised and better structured. For a start, the diagram should be chronological, with games at the top being the earliest and games at the bottom being the most recent.
And no influence going backwards in time.

You'd also have to limit the number of connections between games
Just make the relations transitive.

MMXI

Arcane
And no influence going backwards in time.
Obviously. The point of it would be to see the progression, splintering and decline of the genre over time.

Just make the relations transitive.
Well they would be, in the sense of overall influence. That's a given. But sticking to that would lead to the worst graph ever, as it would imply that each game is influenced by the entirety of its influences, which is hardly ever the case.

J1M

Arcane
If you go ahead an make this it will be interesting to see which areas of time are easier or harder to suss out. The early history of D&D is well-known, for example. But I have no idea what inspired D&D 3rd edition. It was interesting to see confirmation of WoW inspiring 4E in that Codex interview. Recent stuff should be fairly easy to figure out too, since it is fresh in the mind, there are tons of previews with braindead PR people, and so few new RPGs.

This is something the Codex should be doing. Forget superiority through criticism and dismissal. Show them the local knowledge by substantiating it in graphical form and releasing it into the internet.

Turn the septic tank into a think tank.

MCA
Stage 1 complete. You have angered and demotivated someone else on the internet.
Now move to Stage 2 and create your own, superior chart. I'd suggest a piece of software that lets you input the directional influences and builds the diagram automatically. Maybe UML will actually be good for something!

Actually, a Codexian chart with egregious connections and associations exclusive for shit games would be nice. No, it is NEEDED.

Gozma

Arcane
This actually seems like it would be complicated enough you need to do it algorithmically. Like sit down with a list of titles and pick 0-3 major influences and 0-3 minor influences (that's the step of human judgement) and then build up the chart by like summing over all titles, and have influence flow backwards. Like the Dungeons and Dragons lump gets bigger every time another descendant appears even if it has closer proximal influences, reduced by how many intermediate steps there are... Orient it in n-D space...

This is where people with give-a-shit take over, I am an idea man

Borelli

Arcane
The Arcanum is in a room, which has a door probably locked, and the room does not lead anywhere:(.
Any chart of this sort needs to be in 3d. And for fuck sake put Jrpg and Crpg in separate charts.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
The Arcanum is in a room, which has a door probably locked, and the room does not lead anywhere:(.
Any chart of this sort needs to be in 3d. And for fuck sake put Jrpg and Crpg in separate charts.
Are you under the impression that modern cRPGs weren't influenced by Final Fantasy? :desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom