Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker Contest - Xi and Crooked Bee win!

GOTY a.k.a. RPG MAKER contest

• Total voters

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Crooked Bee IS THE WINNER OF THE FIRST RPG CODEX RPG MAKER CONTEST!

270278,xcitefun-congratulations.gif

11152.png
PROPERLY ARRANGED LIST OF ENTRIES (w/LINKS) HERE: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/codex-rpg-maker-contest-entries-a-round-up.92111/

In this thread, plebs are allowed to vote for their favorite RPG maker game created for this silly little impromptu contest.

VOTES ARE DISPLAYED PUBLICLY
YOU MAY ONLY VOTE ON ONE ENTRY
(so play them all first, lol)

No idea what winners recieve other than HONORS.
Don't even know if we will have like a first place, second place, third place.
Also, not sure what happens with that eric_s special judging award- that's entirely up to him how to handle that.

Also x2, Crooked Bee is in charge of any related news posts, and any related prize givings. Hahahrhrhuhueuhehu girl power

KONTESTANTS:

Broseph
Crooked Bee
Zed
Xi
Xu Fugui (submitted two games! I never said anything about not being able to do that so Way To Go, Man)
felipepepe
Niektory
Mastermind

K', finished mine:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/7s51gir94u8zsr6/Muramasa.exe
https://www.mediafire.com/?y335x15tg9s33ta (non-standalone, requires RTP)

I had never played with RPG Maker before, was fun to learn it. I could keep on adding stuff forever, but I think this is the best effort/result ratio I can afford right now.

The game is very short, but has three endings. Can you find them all? ;)

Ski Free X-Treme
It's exactly what it says on the tin. More of a joke entry than anything else, still I thought it was somewhat amusing. Short, X-TREMLY short. I just had to cleanse my system after Game Dev Soup, and this was effortlessly put together during an hour or less.

First RTP less versions because they are so small and are quick to upload. Not sure if I will bother with a RTP version for this one. It wouldn't be worth the download. 200MB for this little game doesn't seem right to me.
Mega
Mediafire

Oh-kay, I'm kind of done. I hope it works, lol. Had to cut some corners to make the deadline. The "dungeon" is more of a concept thing than a fully fleshed-out one, the combat is sparse and unbalanced, and I'm a crappy writer, but whatever; I've worked on this long enough already.

The Grimoire Scrolls Saga: A Superdemo
A cutscene- and puzzle-driven experience with a tiny bit of branching and a handful of endings, some more secret than others. Are you a bad enough dude to recover the Grimoire scrolls?

Links: http://www.mediafire.com/?pxidpv1d1ph971v
http://www.filedropper.com/thegssv101

The file is a bit on the large side 'cause I imported many custom tilesets etc. If anyone notices any bugs or game-breaking stuffies, let me know.

Final version:

Game Dev Soup

Description: What if Molyneux, Gaider, Avellone, Kirkbride and Levine were to get together and make their dream game? Or Molyneux dream game rather. How would they get along
and would it actually give any results? Does more chefs make a worse soup? And Play this game to find out. For the game to run you need to download RPG Maker VX Ace RTP found here
if you don't already have it installed.

Note: When it says game over it isn't really game over, that's a leftover debug/placeholder message, you really have to go to the boat to end the game and get your CnC delivered.
Until you are returned to the main menu there's still content.

Download links:
https://mega.co.nz/#!PdVVFZJR!Loqe7VVdvvAoCKPYrtCn7Qa58xZSvgu3thKeIu_9VAw (with RTP)
https://mega.co.nz/#!TRN2GZpA!kSJcoaE4E3KsE_5B_IoONsJCWKFYKegk9rSkjLYWPOQ
http://www.mediafire.com/download/o8w71v0jermzvo3/Game_Dev_Soup_no_RTP.exe

Play at your own risk, gameplay not guaranteed. Vote, comment and subscribe.

Title: Dark Path

Synopsis:
You walk a dark, visceral path. There are a plethora of majestic choices at your disposal, ready for you to conquer with you mighty will. Do you desire a utopia of harmonic platitude, or do you desire the destruction of those you deem insignificant and less than yourself!? Featuring 10 playable classes of endless possibility, 18 varieties of monsters including 100 million template colors, hundreds of skills with thousands of possible skill combinations, and thousands of branching choices, you will live another life in another world! Are you prepared to meet your destiny in this epic saga that transforms both time and space!?

Warning:
This is an incomplete game. There is no ending, and my main story ark is not entirely complete in it's first section. However, it is an introduction to gameplay/story for a game I really want to continue working on. There are a few Codex Gems within, but nothing over the top, lets see if you can find them. Also, this product may cause blindness,
boredom, or both.

File (virus that steals your money):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sgep3ia7f6cj7aq/AABo4_OGrL5lq0vddsVLfmNOa

http://www.filedropper.com/darkpath

Escape From Liberal Hell

Imprisoned at the bottom of a dungeon by Richard Dawkins, WCDS members battle against the evil forces of atheism and liberalism. Features cameos from famous Codex personalities such as Andhaira, Major_Blackhart, and Juan and Hector! Are you a bad enough dude to take down Cthulhu Lord Athe himself?

Zed said:
ZEDS GAME
it's just silly shit with a lot of codex references

FEATURES BATTLE MUSIC BY VIRTUOSO CBOYARDEE

http://absum.se/rpgmaker/gameByZed.exe

extract anywhere N PLAY

btw never managed to beat it myself, so please let me know if the ending works
(there's not a lot of fighting tho)

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0lrh7fl3cghojo2/Out_of_Element.exe

Title: Out of Element

Description:
The game is a puzzle dungeon crawler.
The exploration is turn-based like in roguelikes. The monsters move when you move, and buff durations are measured in steps.
It is totally possible to avoid all monsters using your spells.
It is also possible to get stuck. Save in multiple slots. If all else fails, try again. The game can be beaten in 8 minutes.
There are 2 endings.
All Codex referenced have been [REDACTED].
Have fun!

Alright, here it is. It's just the intro dungeoun(s) for what will be a much, much bigger game but there's plenty of combat and a couple of Bioware style choices to make.

Days of Spring
There's no proper in-game intro but the basic plot is that a few days ago several people from your village were kidnapped and you and your teenage friends decide to carry out your own investigation.

http://www.filedropper.com/daysofspring

Save often, and read spoilers below if you want to avoid unnecessary rape.
Wander around the first "room" after meeting the old lady until you kill enough slimes to gain a level or two before you bump into the masked guy.
Read tombstone inscriptions (except the ones in the area where there's a ton of them, there's nothing there), some of them give you stuff. This only applies in the memorial garden, there's nothing to read once you enter the mausoleum proper.

If you want to know more specifically what each skill does let me know, in game text is fairly limited.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Also, as expert in all things RPG Maker (and incidentally in RPG design too), cboyardee aka eric_s has agreed to judge the entries separately from the popular vote and give out his own award. So there'll be two awards, whoa.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'll try play all the entries tonight, and cast my voteeeee.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I can't download felipepepe s because adblocker is blocking the required captpachacha :(

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
How long do we have to vote? I don't want to rush trough them. Cool beans in any case, this will be fun.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
there's no rush at all.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Am I blind or is Crooked Bee's game missing from the OP?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I just finished Crooked Bee 's game....

mind-blown-2.gif

EVERYTHING NOW MAKES SENSE!

Just give he the prize, really. Fantastic work, not only the puzzles, but the great writing and the massive ammount of stuff to read and do. I made mine to be funny, but her's made me laugh out loud many times. :salute:

How long it took you to do all this?

I can't download felipepepe s because adblocker is blocking the required captpachacha :(
You can get it from Steam Workshop as well: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267184870&tscn=1401953218

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Am I blind or is Crooked Bee's game missing from the OP?

It's the third from the top among the stuff Zed quoted.

You can also consult this front page post if you want the entries to be more, um, neatly arranged: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/codex-rpg-maker-contest-entries-a-round-up.92111/

I just finished Crooked Bee 's game....

EVERYTHING NOW MAKES SENSE!

Just give he the prize, really. Fantastic work, not only the puzzles, but the great writing and the massive ammount of stuff to read and do. I made mine to be funny, but her's made me laugh out loud many times. :salute:

How long it took you to do all this?

Thanks :) Took me two days. Or rather, two absolutely sleepless nights plus some time during Tuesday-Thursday in-between doing work-related thingies (thankfully it's a bit of a down time at work atm).

But did you, like, actually discover all the 3 or so endings? (Not to count the defeat in the boss battle.) I thought it would take longer!

Also did you
manage to enter the bunker as commie?

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But did you, like, actually discover all the 3 or so endings? (Not to count the defeat in the boss battle.) I thought it would take longer!

Also did you
Ahn... no? I only got two endings: Teleporting out of Brenda and solving the riddles and solving the 5 riddles to face Sirotek...

Also, I couldn't get into Cleve's bunker... I tried everything from completing B__y __at to some key dates, but nothing worked. :(

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Mastermind
wasn't edited in. you must have been temporarily blind.

I played all the entries besides felipepepe because I cant download from mediafire and I have no idea how the steam link works. I pressed subscribed but nothing happened and I don't know where to launch it from.

here are my notes so far:
dark path - xi

holy shit. very well-made. obviously incomplete, but this is advanced rpg making.

days of spring- mastermind

very jrpgish dialogue and a lot of filler combat, but also some good fights and well-"designed" characters.

game dev soup - xu fugui

well-written, great up until filler combat in maze

out of element - niektory

I like the limited vision thingy but I didnt like the fights

excape from liberal hell - broseph

p. funny, but the dungeon is not very well-designed and there is too much filler combat

grimoire super demo - crooked bee

best concept, funny, no filler combat

Crooked Bee

Patron

Also did you
Ahn... no? I only got two endings: Teleporting out of Brenda and solving the riddles and solving the 5 riddles to face Sirotek...

Also, I couldn't get into Cleve's bunker... I tried everything from completing B__y __at to some key dates, but nothing worked. :(

- You should try using Neanderthal Sense inside the "door dungeon" (as I call it). This should lead you to a secret ending.

- It's a pretty tricky Codex lore check, basically. Might be the most obscure "branch" in the entire game. There are also three hints: one of the messages in the nearby area, the key terminal itself, and the message it says. Though the solution isn't quite straightforward.
I'll PM you the answer to this; don't want to post it here yet.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Also did you

- You should try using Neanderthal Sense inside the "door dungeon" (as I call it). This should lead you to a secret ending.

- It's a pretty tricky Codex lore check, basically. Might be the most obscure "branch" in the entire game. There are also three hints: one of the messages in the nearby area, the key terminal itself, and the message it says. Though the solution isn't quite straightforward.
I'll PM you the answer to this; don't want to post it here yet.
Funny, I got the Neanderthal Sense ending first. Also got into cleve's bunker as commie. Was a pretty cool puzzle.

Last edited:

Niektory

one of some
Patron
out of element - niektory

I like the limited vision thingy but I didnt like the fights
Yeah, didn't have time to work on them, I focused on making sure you can avoid them all (except the boss). Not an excuse, of course, they should be better. Did you get the good ending?

mck

Cipher
for those who bother to play them all, please post some screenshots here.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
days of spring- mastermind

very jrpgish dialogue and a lot of filler combat, but also some good fights and well-"designed" characters.

I was going for a typical shounen anime style so while you probably didn't mean it as a compliment I'm happy it comes across that way.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Zed Could you also upload your game to filedropper, dropbox or mediafire? I can't extract your game for some reason, tried twice now; might be an incomplete download or smth.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I played all the entries besides felipepepe because I cant download from mediafire and I have no idea how the steam link works.
Here you go: http://www.filedropper.com/codex_1
very good!
very kawaiisu feelgood, but also silly and abrupt.
you should make a proper game sometime! it would be desu-tastic!

Zed Could you also upload your game to filedropper, dropbox or mediafire? I can't extract your game for some reason, tried twice now; might be an incomplete download or smth.
for some reason my game is humongous in size. I zipped the extracted files instead.

can you access this? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPywt6ChReaNEpIeVFpa0RBZTQ/edit?usp=sharing

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One cool thing I just noticed is that everyone is sharing their game with the edit option enabled, so if you see something awesome and get curious about how it was done, you can just open the project and check it out. :)

Xu Fugui , yours have some really nice lines, but I feel like you got lost between making a parody and a proper game... also, too much text!

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

Patron
for some reason my game is humongous in size. I zipped the extracted files instead.

can you access this? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzPywt6ChReaNEpIeVFpa0RBZTQ/edit?usp=sharing

Yup, works fine now, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom