Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG starting woes

I have purchased RPG maker vx and now need to buy some tilesets but I want some form of consistency. For the last 4 years I have been dreaming up and documenting my fantasy chronicles.

I have some technical problems:

A) The good tilesets do not match my story...at least not all of it.
B) I cannot find a good tileset with a good matching character set.
C) I would like to do isometric but this is probably unrealistic.
D) I cannot find any decent UI assets for RPG maker.

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/medieval-knights-templar <- I like these but cannot see a good tileset, also not enough variety

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/a/graphics/fantastic-buildings-medieval <- I like this tileset but cannot find a decent matching character set. I do not like the characters that come with RPG maker. I want something not cutesy looking.

I need help finding some consistency. I am willing to change my story a little to match the settings but I need something that doesn't look....well....crap. Getting assets to match is a real pain!

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
Have you checked RPG Maker MV,Game Maker or Unity Store? maybe you find some assets that better fit.

There is a reason why RPG Maker is so successful and also the reason why they all look the same. RPG Maker has ONE consistent artstyle. So tough fucking luck. When you go with RPG Make you are in for the crap.

The ground you can adapt from textures pretty easily, It's what they did and pretty cheap.
But buildings and stuff you are fucked.

EDIT: From looking at the Medieval stuff they are doing texture blending with RPG Maker MV, those are not titles!
Depending on how it is done and what kind of masking support it has you can get some really good ground with a bit of photoshop and alphas. Textures are pretty cheap so that might be your option.
Something like this:
http://detailedterrain.com/index.php?page=guide

But again it depends on how MV handles stuff.

EDIT2: Also check the forums since there are individual artists assets sold outside of the the official packs.
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/51208-rpgmakerweb-mv-resource-showcase-directory/

Last edited:

ragnor

Educated
My advice would be first finish the game with placeholder graphics then search for an artist to help you. You might find an artist who would like your game and want to work on it if you have a playable game in your hands. And even if you couldn't find anyone you can always pay an artist to make assets for you. If you finish the game or at least get a playable build you could get an better estimate on what kind of assets you'll need for the game. Either way just start working on your game.

I know i'm not offering much help here but i had a similiar problem and couldn't find a better solution for myself too.

Mustawd

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Freegameart.org iirc can get you what you need, as long as you get the right ones licensing ways. Also, like Mustawd said, you can get some of the arts through simply giving them credit.
Edit: My bad, it was opengameart.org

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom