Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGDot - Returned from Slumber

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The old RPGDot - the predecessor of RPGWatch - is available again:

Myrthos said:
I have restored RPGDot and made it available on our server. As the code used for RPGDot was rather insecure, I decided to crawl a local running version of the site and create HTML pages of as much as was possible. This is something I have been busy with since February. Well, actually my PC has been busy, a lot! In the last iteration I've decided it was enough, even if it is still not perfect.

The result is that RPGDot as we knew it on June 13, 2006 has been restored. It is not perfect. There are links that don't work, images that won't load, funny characters in texts and some other stuff. On the forums the usergroups are not present and you cannot interact on the forums (they are statisc pages). If you want to share somwthing you have to do it in the RPGWatch forums.
Alse, there is no search option. You will just have to wait until the spiders of the various search engines have done their thing and search through them (on google, just postfix your search criteria with site:rpgdot.rpgwatch.com).

The contents of the site is from somewhere in 2001 till June 13, 2006. RPGDot existed before that time (it started in 1999), but I don't have that data available anymore. RPGDot also existed after June 13, 2006, but I don't have that data either.

Some more numbers I can share, this version of RPGDot consists of close to 1.5 million files (html and images), with a total size of around 67GB. There are over 1000 errors reported by the crawler, because of various reasons. But, given the total amount of processed files, 1000 isn't that much really. I have no plans of making any further modifications at this point in time. If you feel something should be modified comment on our forums and I'll see if and what I can do.

You can find the link to RPGDot at the top of every page on RPGWatch and in the News menu bar.

Enjoy!

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Some history:

HiddenX:
First Rendelius created BlinkingDot in summer 1999:

Rendelius:
Here's the story why RPGDot once was called BlinkingDot :)

It started out as a small personal website on Xoom for a RPG project two friends of mine and I were doing (Legends of the Seers). It was meant to talk about the progress of the game. Because there wasn't much (the only thing we ever finished was my procedural landscape modeling and the display engine), I started to report about general RPG news as well. I moved the site to its own domain, and I named the domain after one of the "monsters" in the various Angband variants (dungeon crawls in ASCII, later with graphics): The Blinking Dot. I think when Garrett joined me in posting news (adding his great database of RPG games), we decided to change the name to RPGDot.
Blinkingdot, by the way, went online in Summer 1999 :).
Later BlinkingDot was renamed RPGDot, but still owned by Rendelius.

RPGDot grewed up very fast and with it the costs, Rendelius sold RPGDot to Jolt.

Jolt changed the UI, did a lot of advertising that slowed the site down and came up with other bad ideas.

The staff was not amused and Myrthos and most parts of the staff at that time created RPGWatch in 2006.

Many users followed and a few years later the abandoned RPGDot was dead.

Myrthos:
Here is some of my history with RPGDot and the start of RPGWatch.

Next to running RPGDot, Rendelius was also running a hosting service on BlinkingDot, where people could get their site hosted for free, by placing some ads on their site. At the time I was operating The Locus Inn, which was focusing on Infinity Engine games (some more and some less in detail). This was the year 2000.

I'm not sure when exactly, but at some point in 2000, Rendelius was looking for people to post news for RPGDot and I applied for that position, finding myself posting news after that. I don't even recall what we used for that, but it wasn't that great, so in 2001, a guy named Stijn, Garrett and me worked on creating a new design from scratch creating our own CMS. This first version was written in PHP, but had the layout embedded in the PHP files. This actually meant that we only had one design and it would be really problematic to make design changes to it, but it was working.

The year after that I redesigned the whole thing and separated the controller part from the view part. This allowed us to create different skins, which we used a lot for the hosted sites we had, of which there were plenty. Any game of some substance had its own hosted site at RPGDot. The best known ones were the Gothic and Arx Fatalis sites. Next to that we also had a site dedicated to adventures and a site dedicated to MMORPGs. Most of these sites also had at least one person posting news and articles for that site, but news posted on RPGDot would also be automatically visible on hosted sites when it was applicable for them. So some sites only functioned as a filter of news and articles, similar to our current indie site. In any case this kept us going until 2006.

The RPGDot forums were a place that was reasonably well visited and at some time we decided that it would be a good idea to create user groups and provide those groups a space on the forums that was only visible to the members of that group. Several groups were founded, with the biggest group being the Non-flamer's Guild. These groups were one of the two main reasons that the RPGDot forums became a somewhat desolated place. What happened was that people spent more time in their dedicated group forums than they did in the rest of the forum. Some people only spent time in their group forum. This drove the number of public visible posts down.

The second reason was the moderation policy. We had quite a strict policy, even more strict than what we have now, which resulted in bans, warnings and other moderation actions that drove the number of public posts even further down. The end result was that it didn't take too long to check out the new (public available) posts for a day.

Rendelius paid the server fees and tried to earn some money by selling adverts. I don't know how well that worked, but at some point in time Jolt came into the picture. They were most interested in the MMO side of the RPGDot sites as that fitted in their business model. I don't know how much money Rendelius made of selling it to Jolt, I hope for him it was plenty, but somewhere in the first half of 2005 a deal was made. I think his biggest motivation in selling the site was that he wanted to pursue other things than running an RPG site and Jolt was willing to pay him for doing that.

Jolt wanted to make some real money of the sites and a few months later the design had changed in such a way that there were several ads on each page, but especially on the front pages of RPGDot and all the hosted sites. It slowed things down, but it also became annoying to navigate and work with, in my opinion.

So somewhere in the first half of 2006, I decided that it was time to move on and start a new site. I asked around in the team and everybody in the team wanted to move with me to that new site.

Even though the source code and designs of RPGDot were not part of the deal that was struck with Rendelius and Jolt, I decided to start from scratch again to create a new site from the ground up. Arhu took up the responsibility of designing the lay-out of the site and together we created what you see now. I don't exactly recall how we got to the name RPGWatch, but I think it was a combination of interesting names and available domain names.

Arhu and I worked on the site throughout the summer until we reached a point where we felt that we could go public in the near future. At that point I informed Jolt about the decision that I would leave RPGDot and move to a new site and that it looked like all team members would move as well. As we were all volunteers, there was not much they could do about that, but they did ask me to make sure news posts were added to RPGDot until they gathered a new team. So I implemented a way to transfer the RPGWatch news postings to RPGDot and make them visible there as well.

On the 17th of October we launched the new site, starting with a first news posting by Dhruin. In the meantime I already filled the site with the news posts of the previous months that were until that time only visible on RPGDot.

I don't recall that there was a filter implemented on the RPGDot forums that prevented to use the word RPGWatch, but we felt it was not in the interest of RPGDot to publicly advocate there was a new site named RPGWatch, where almost the whole team moved to.

Some time after that there were two new persons working on RPGDot and I severed the last tie, which was the news syndication from RPGWatch to RPGDot. After that Jolt found out, that it is really hard to find a dedicated team that would be willing to post news on a regular basis. I belief they also had issues in keeping volunteers working for RPGDot. The place never recovered from us leaving, which in the meantime also included many of the active forum forum members.

And 10 years later we are here. We are probably in need of a new design, but neither Arhu, nor I have time available to accomplish this anytime soon, so you still have to look at this design for a while.

Earlier this year I also tried to resurrect the RPGDot site on my local system and got it functioning, both the RPGDot site itself and the forums. However it is an insecure piece of software to be honest, so it needs quite some work to get things fixed, but I am still hoping that I can accomplish that somewhere this year and that you can get a peek into what RPGDot and its forums looked like before (when it wasn't plastered with ads). I will not resurrect the hosted sites, but integrated all contents of those sites in RPGDot. I have a backup of all the designs, the database and the contents on RPGDot, but I noticed that I did not have a backup of the specific Arx Fatalis and Gothic files (images, downloads, etc.). So, at this moment I have a bunch of pages that have text but not the images. It can't be helped, it is what it is, but at least you will be able to make a trip down memory lane with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom