Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs set in hell/afterlife

Arryosha

Learned
I can think of plenty of non-rpgs set in hell or the afterlife, but not any rpgs besides PST and MotB. If only part of the game is set in the afterlife, that will work for me, as long as it provides some interesting perspective on it and doesn't just have a cliche hellscape (oblivion). Even a game like bloodlines sort of fits what I'm looking for, since it does undead in a way that gives an interesting perspective on the afterlife.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I can think of plenty of non-rpgs set in hell or the afterlife, but not any rpgs besides PST and MotB. If only part of the game is set in the afterlife, that will work for me, as long as it provides some interesting perspective on it and doesn't just have a cliche hellscape (oblivion). Even a game like bloodlines sort of fits what I'm looking for, since it does undead in a way that gives an interesting perspective on the afterlife.
148856-escape-from-hell-dos-screenshot-title-screen.png

J1M

Arcane
Hordes of the Underdark eventually takes you to a plane of hell to mingle/fight with demons and devils.

There has to be at least one adventure game that explore the idea of solving your own murder as a ghost.

Hordes of the Underdark eventually takes you to a plane of hell to mingle/fight with demons and devils.

There has to be at least one adventure game that explore the idea of solving your own murder as a ghost.
Geist is sort of like that. It's an FPS/adventure hybrid though.

V_K

Arcane
While mainline Oblivion's portrayal of, well, the Oblivion, isn't terribly exciting, Shivering Isles is set in a much more interesting part of it (and is a much better game too). TES had also an earlier foray into different realms of the Oblivion in Battlespire.
More recently, Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones did basically a Mythos version of hell.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ghost in the Sheet is kinda like that if I remember correctly.
In Goetia you're not solving your murder per se but the more general mystery of what happened and why you're ghost.

Blackwell series by Wadjet Eye games has a ghost detective as one of the player character duo.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Super Columbine Massacre RPG. Made with RPG Maker and released for free in 2005 (anonymously at first), it's basically a commentary on the Columbine school shootings and contains an extensive afterlife section in which the killers are transported to hell to do battle with the demon hordes from Doom. The whole project sounds like the creation of an Internet troll, but I assure you it was quite serious. The game was a finalist in a Slamdance videogame festival, and was removed from the contest by the organizers despite objections from judges and other competitors.

Historical significance aside, the game is both disturbing and monotonous. An odd combination to be sure.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
In Might & Magic IX, you have to die and the party is taken to the realm of the Afterlife. The entire end game portion takes place from this point, completing various quests for the gods and leading up to the final dungeon.

Deleted Member 22431

Dragon Age: Origins

DA:O has Slaneeshi Daemonettes????!!!!!
A demon is an oft-malicious spirit from the Fade that embodies a sin or negative emotion and that feeds on the darker parts of the mortal psyche like rage, hunger, and desire. According to Solas, a spirit becomes a demon when denied its original purpose. This denial occurs when a spirit is forced to do something that greatly conflicts with its original nature, or it may occur as a spirit explores mortal minds and dreams and encounters negative thoughts and memories. A demon's strength and intelligence is dependent on the emotions or idea from which it feeds; the more complex the concept, the more powerful the demon.
https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Demon

This is the desire demon.

DraQ

Arcane
Diablo is fairly stereotypical, but yeah.
Divinity series has Hall of Echoes which you visit in Divinity 2 and DOS2.

Note: I don't count Diablo, nor Divinity 2 as proper RPGs.

Skyrim happens to have you visit not one but two different afterlives:
  • Nordic Sovngarde (Valhalla knockoff, basically) in the main game.
  • Soul Cairn (a soul dump for the soultrapped, not the best place to end up) in Dong Dawnguard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom