Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Crispy™ RPGs similar to sports management games?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rusty_shackleford, Mar 20, 2021.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Where you manage a roster of adventures, hire/fire them, manage equipment, their quests, grouping, etc.,
    Darkest Dungeon has some similarities, but I'm looking more for a game with a heavier focus on management and branching narrative.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Outmind Augur

Outmind
    How active of a role in management are we talking about here? because the only thing that comes to mind atm is Battle Brothers, but that's a full-on tactical RPG with vaguely managerial things like party roster decisions, supplies, and injury treatment.

Will keep an eye on this thread as the format is definitely uncommon.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Snorkack Arcane Patron

Snorkack
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Battles of Norghan is supposed to be pretty much what you describe but I never got it to run :(

"Imagine a football manager game with fantasy world creatures such as orcs, drakes and minotaurs and turn-based strategy battles instead of football matches."

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Mangoose Arcane Patron

Mangoose
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Yeah... I can only think of Blood Bowl, which is basically on the same tactical level as Battle Brothers. Not the strategic layer you're look for.

Dungeon Master maybe?

• Yes Yes x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Jagged Alliance 2.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Battles of Norghan is decent. Got it on Steam, runs out of the box on my Windows 7 system.

It's got tactical turn based combat, you hire gladiators of different races/classes and they gain XP. You can train them, give them better equipment, etc. Battle victories give you prize money that you can use to buy the equipment or send your guys training. I'd say the focus is about 50/50 on battles and management.

For a more literal sports game that feels somewhat RPG-y, try Football Tactics & Glory. It combines your usual football management game with turn based tactical football matches. Each player can learn one or two special skills and specialize on various classes (defender, goalkeeper, midfielder, attacker) that give bonuses to their respective roles on the playing field. I don't care about football, don't even watch the world cup, but this game is damn fun.

Then there's Domina, a game where you play as a Roman noblewoman who inherited a gladiator school. You buy gladiators, train them, have them fight in the arena, etc. The battles are real time and can either be directly controlled like an action game or you can let the AI fight for you. Gladiators can either get wounded and surrender, or die permanently. It's usually a good idea to level up several gladiators equally rather than focusing on just pushing one guy cause if he dies, you're fucked. It's pretty basic overall, but it's good.

There's also Age of Gladiators, which has two games set in ancient Rome and one in a sci-fi setting. They're pretty mediocre tbh, although they do have tactical turn based arena combat, and a decent management layer.

I'm not aware of a game where you manage a roster of adventurers and send them dungeoneering, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mexi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Sad Loser

Mexi
    Probably doesn't cover everything, but the Expedition games are like that. I've not played Vikings yet, but Conquistador you are like a caravan leader. You have to treat wounds (depending on your medical skill), and you get some character-specific encounters. Your player character never fights on the battlefield, so it feels like you are truly leading an expedition.

I do need to play Vikings at some point, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I mean, I guess there's this, judging from the title. It's been sitting on my wishlist for over a year but the mostly negative review rating puts me off.

Crawling through my wishlist, I also found these which might fit the bill:

^ Top  
  9. mondblut Arcane

mondblut

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Tyrr Educated

Tyrr
    Rance Quest

^ Top  
  11. Kev Inkline Arcane Patron

Kev Inkline
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Areena. Since 1991. The latest works on browsers and is in English, but the graphics don't quite have that nostalgic touch to them.

http://arena-7.appspot.com/

You literally manage a team of gladiators of different races etc.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    pillars of eternity 2 plays itself too!

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Realms of Arkania HD

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ol' Willy Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Zionist Agent

Ol' Willy
    Just play Football Manager, this games has all RPG-elements and autism you want

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Drew Savant

Drew
    I loved Expeditions: Conquistador, but it's much more like a historical fantasy XCOM than a fantasy football manager. There's a lot of turn-based tactical gameplay in addition to the strategy layer. I'm not sure it's what OP wants, even though it's great.

completed it
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Dungeon Siege, except 3rd game
    Show Spoiler
    :M

^ Top  
  17. Nortar Erudite Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Urtuk the Desolation
    - roster of adventures
    - hire/fire them
    - manage equipment
    - can include/exclude into field team or sent on personal "missions"

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Mortal Glory and other gladiator-types could be in that vein.

There's also the auto-battler genre on Steam which has games of this ilk, but none have yet totally tied all those pieces together.

^ Top  
  19. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    The upcoming King Arthur: Knight's Tale has some of these elements. There's around 30 recruitable heroes, an upgradable base of operations, equipment, skill trees, permadeath, and a branching narrative based around the 4-pronged morality system - Rightful/Tyrant and Old Faith/Christian. This impacts the story as well as the knights who'll join you. Some knights squabble with others, and some might even turn their back on you for making decisions they disagree with. You made a brief appearance in the related thread, but weren't sure what the game was going for.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    Sexist!

"Amazons are wild warrior women from Deep Jungles. They contact civilization only for gladiator combat and when lipstick has run out. Amazons are famous for their melee combat skills and for their great bravery when facing physically weaker opponents."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    You're asking for a lot of features that comes naturally to tacticool games.
    So, leaving the RPG aside, i can give you :

Warbanners (more story bits than the following and some soft branching)

And even less on the RPG side, Battle Brothers (do yourself a favor and play with the Legends mod), Urtuk, Vigilantes, UFO (OpenXCOM with some great mods), JA 2, also, The Battle for Wesnoth, X-COM Apocalypse...
    Tactics Maiden too (no branching whatsoever but there is a narrative).

On the other side, there is the Speedball 2 remaster, not 100% accurate but still quite good for a playthrough.

Also, Battle-arenas.net it's a browser game with regenerating AP going faster the more you "survive" the arena with some deities played by GMs and guilds, really time consuming though, when you're into it.
    And you'd have to learn some French...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    ^ Top  
  22. Plane Escapee Your friend Patron

Plane Escapee
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Been looking for the same. While it doesn't fulfill your list of wishes, Crusader Kings II (with all bells and whistles) is the closest you'll get to a Football Manager experience with (a few more) role-playing elements, but I assume you're already aware of this, given how well liked CK2 is on the Codex and it not exactly being an obscure entity in the wider gaming community either.

^ Top  
  23. Parsimonious cook Learned Patron

Parsimonious cook
    Strap Yourselves In

Killers & Thieves is a side project of a guy who worked on Banner Saga. It is a thief guild management game, with some great ideas (you strongarm legit businesses to act like your fronts, recruit and train thieves, deal with the heat created by your heists and slowly work to become the strongest criminal organisation in the city) - unfortunately the dev moved on before polishing the game properly (hence the mixed reviews), but given it sells for 1,59 € nowadays I suggest you at least give it a try.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Efe Liturgist

Efe
    above is terrible
    try new star soccer instead

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.