Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's with dark atmosphere

madhouse

As per title. I'm trying to build up a collection of games to play through. I define dark very loosely.
I'll start:
  • Gothic
  • Gothic 2
  • Fear & Hunger
  • Darklands

Falksi

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands. Absolutely beautifully wondrous vibe. Delicious.

Sadly too empty to be worth playing to completion, but worth playing for 5-10 hours just to absorb that magical vibe.

If there's any game I'd like to see a proper sequel to, it's this one (and the Shadowrun series)

Last edited:
Dark atmosphere? It's not an RPG, but I wish just one save-the-world-chosen111111 RPG had a plot similar to Myth: The Fallen Lords: relentlessly downbeat, always emphasising the increasingly hopeless odds, and a final victory that feels completely hollow next to the cost. That's what fighting the Supreme Dark Lord of Utter Darkness should feel like.

Major plot spoilers:

V_K

Arcane
Soulbringer. In a very literal sense - the game is dark: it uses darkness instead of fog to limit the draw distance, and the result is super atmospheric:
soulbringer31-jpg.13657

1_1.jpg

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Dark Sun 1 & 2,
Underrail (well, the setting is underground...),
System Shock 2 (kind of dark sci fi/horror),
Arx Fatalis (setting is underground, for a reason...)
Shadowlands (literally dark),
Shin Megami Tensei IV (at the beginning it does not look so dark, but soon there is a huge twist in the setting),
Perihelion (mediocre RPG, but great dark atmosphere).

Silly Germans

The Shadowrun Returns games are rather on the dark than the bright site.

JRIz

Augur
As per title. I'm trying to build up a collection of games to play through. I define dark very loosely.
With this (lack of a) definition, how will you be able to play everything that will be mentioned?

Siege of Avalon has a very dark atmosphere.
149844.jpg

V_K

Arcane
Also, Anvil of Dawn:

hqdefault.jpg

And, come to think of it, almost any Event Horizon/Dreamforge game before it: The Summoning, Veil of Darkness (not an RPG though), Dusk of the Gods, Ravenloft, Menzoberranzan...

EDIT: In fact, most real-time blobbers/gridders tend to just exude menace and doom: Dungeon Master and CSB, Grimrock 1&2, Legacy: Realm of Terror, Vaporum...

Darkstone
Yeah, I'm not sure this one counts. Lots of its quests are very Larian-style - helping fairies and unicorns and stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom