Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG's with pretty death animations

Silly Germans

I very much enjoy the over the top death animations from Fallout 1,2, Tactics. I don't recall any other other rpg with such satisfying animations. Are there any other rpg's where death is welcomed in a such an eye-pleasing manner ?
The next game that i could think of was Diablo 2 but it isn't even a close second. Wastelands 2 was also better than average but not great. Turning enemies into gibblets in the infinity engine games is also nice but sadly limited to one effect. I am also aware of Die by the Sword and Severance but they lack the impact of the short lived over the top animations.

jackofshadows

Magister
Age od Decadence actually has some amount of pretty cool death animations. No dismemberment though.

I'm not 100% sure but I think there were added some more later.

Oh, how I wish Underrail would have had at least some of thouse :negative:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bias aside, Battle Brothers. People look crazy fucked up depending on what killed them.

Sykar

Arcane
P:KM has some nice ones AND some nice comments by your companions. Regongar for example yells "Let's see what your entrails look like!" while an enemy explodes in blood and gore under a critical. Elemental attacks like acid also have some special animations like dissolving the corpse.

Kainan

Learned
Cant remember how Gothic1/2 animation looked but the death scream is stuck in my brain forever.

Eastwood

Educated
Fallout is unmatched.
Arcanum tries to mimic Fallout with its death animations, but kind of falls flat. Might be because of subpar sound effects or the combat system in general.
Eviscerating someone with a crit in Fallout just feels right.

Silly Germans

Fallout is unmatched.
It seems so, i had a faint hope that i might have missed a game. I know all the games that have been mentioned so far except Anvil of Dawn and Total Distortion, but none of those surpass Fallout. There are a bunch of adventures and games from other genres that have nice death animations but i am looking specifically for rpgs.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Anvil of Dawn
It definitely had a few great ones.
aodbxkfy.gif

Silly Germans

(maybe stretching the definition of rpg a tiny bit)

I don't consider it a fully fledged rpg, so i didn't mention it, i've played it extensively vs my brothers on Amiga in the past. It certainly has some of the best death animations out there. Battle Chess on Amiga is also good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom