Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPGs with shapeshifting as a prominent mechanic

V_K

Arcane
What are those? The more prominent the better. Ideally, it'd be useful for both combat and non-combat situations and be well integrated into the character system.
I can only think of LoL2, which doesn't make a very strong case for shapeshifting.
There were also shapeshifting scrolls in Gothic games, but outside of a couple of scripted encounters (shifting into a roach to go under a fence) I don't remember them being terribly useful.

UPD:
Prey (your favorite turn-into-coffee-cup simulator);
NWN: Druid class;
Serpent in the Staglands (if only it were a better game).
Nethack: Doppelganger class.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
In the same vein, I guess Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain should be mentioned for its different vampiric forms. But still not very RPG-ish.

Shadenuat

Arcane
wasn't there that weird game where you could become a frog and
Shadowcaster
oh right.

honestly shapeshifting is universally used in action and arcade games. Castlevania comes to mind first and every Castlevania-like ever

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What are those? The more prominent the better. Ideally, it'd be useful for both combat and non-combat situations and be well integrated into the character system.
I can only think of LoL2, which doesn't make a very strong case for shapeshifting.
There were also shapeshifting scrolls in Gothic games, but outside of a couple of scripted encounters (shifting into a roach to go under a fence) I don't remember them being terribly useful.

Playing Shifter in NwN is really specific when it comes to gameplay

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Age of Empires >>> WOLOLOLOLOLO

Warcraft >> turning people to sheep

Werewolf the Apocalypse >>> It's a pnp game but it has great shapeshifting mechanics

Any D&D game with druids?

Lots of MMORPGS

Mortal Kombat >> Fatalities

Thal

Prophet
Nethack SLASH'EM allows you to play Doppelganger, which means you can polymorph into most monsters and access their special abilities.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Dragon Age Origins could let you turn into a spider, bear, etc. Wasn't all that interesting a change though. Lots of older RPGs have polymorph which is similar. Nothing will beat the WoW Druid though.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Does lycanthropy count as shapeshifting? If so, you can include both Daggerfall and Morrowind, among other RPGs, though it wasn't exactly prominent except in the confines of Morrowind's Bloodmoon expansion.

PsychoFox

Educated

UPD:
Prey (your favorite turn-into-coffee-cup simulator);
NWN: Druid class;
Serpent in the Staglands (if only it were a better game).
Nethack: Doppelganger class.
SpellForce 3 has a druid class that can turn into wolves, bears and spiders (maybe even more creatures). I though the game was really mediocre though.

ADL

Prophet
Project Gorgon has a druid class that shapeshifts and each of the animals you play as have some serious gameplay/roleplaying implications.

Shame no one talks about it on here. It's pretty much tailor made for everyone here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Outside of MMOs where druids are designed to shapeshift constantly, there really aren't standout examples. I've wondered this myself because Druid is usually one of my go-to classes, but their shapeshifting is always lame and disappointing. I guess there could be some roguelikes where a class is designed around shapeshifting. I know Tales of Maj'Eyal isn't one of them. It has the Possessor class, which can ...possess the corpse of enemies, so it's kinda like that I guess. You have to buy ToME to get access to Possessors, it's the bonus/donator class, but I recommend doing it anyway, it's not expensive and it's worth supporting the developer. Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has transmutation magic. I'm not that familiar with any other roguelikes. Maybe ADOM is worth checking out for that.

NWN1 Shifter is the worst class in the game and it requires a steel resolve and solid build to play it. It gets good only at epic levels when you get undead shape. It's fun and interesting to play, though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Summoner 2 for the PS2 and Gamecube is the only one I can think of where shapeshifting is on the forefront of the game. Ignore the name, they ditched the monster summoning from the first game and changed it so that your main character would shapeshift into different monsters instead.

Codex Year of the Donut
you may not like it, but this is what peak HP looks like:
wow_druid_bear_form_by_for_the_horde.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
Not particularly prominent but worth mentioning:
Gladius (LucasArts SRPG for PS2/XB/GC) has Gungnirs as well as one main character who transform into bears, wolves and big cats.
Legend of Grimrock 2 has a potion that allows you to turn into a bear (see avatar) which I remember being actually really useful.

And well, WoW of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom