Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age RPGs with solid modding/level design tools?

A horse of course

I'm getting that itch again.

So Neverwinter Nights obviously had an excellent toolset (although I actually found it harder to mod certain stuff outside the boundaries of the editors than I did similar stuff in the IE) but the base game...isn't really all that worthwhile to mod for.
Morrowind onwards, obviously. I've gotten hundreds of hours out the Skyrim CS (despite being fundamentally broken in certain areas). I heard Grimcock has a good set, but I'm not really interested in the base game. NWN2 toolset was a crock of shit, and base game is even worse than the first so fuck struggling through that. Dragon Age toolset is crap and again, base mechanics suck so I'm not gonna make the effort.VTM: Redemption had a kinda-sorta DM/level editor toolset but as with NWN, it's a bitch to edit stuff outside that.

Any suggestions?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
NWN and NWN2 are probably your best bet, due to how well documented they are. Plus, older games with simpler graphics means you can put out content more quickly and not worry about making it look so petty.

Can't think of any great options you have missed.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ToME?
It's written completely in Lua (well, almost) so modding it should not be difficult at all - if you know Lua or are willing to learn it.

No nice toolset to go with it, though. Not that you'd need a toolset for a roguelike.

JasonNH

Augur
You might want to keep an eye on Divinity:Original Sin, depending on how long you're willing to wait.

Gord

Arcane
If you honestly think NWN2 base game was worse than NWN1, you should forget about modding anyway. :M

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SRR is pretty limited, yeah.

There's always wc3 if you're desperate, plus you can find some decent grafix for it if you look hard enough.:troll:

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
IceBlink is the future today! Haha
It is very flexible and will allow you to create almost any environment you can think of depending on the level of artwork you want in your module. The engine and toolset were created based on my many years of experience with the nwn1 and nwn2 toolsets. IB has its place depending on the story you want to tell. Some stories are well suited for IB others may be better with nwn.

I'm almost finished with an Android version of the engine.

Zetor

Arcane
SRR's editor is actually pretty good (in fact, its core functionality seems more powerful than from what I've seen from DOS' editor so far... but DOS isn't released yet, so it's kinda early to tell), its only major weakness is lack of area persistence.

Unfortunately that is a pretty big weakness -- if your planned adventure has areas that the PC/party is supposed to visit more than once, you'll either need to create tons of triggers and global variables to persist the state yourself (clunky and time-consuming) or create alternate versions of the same area depending on progression (static, and a lot of extra work).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom