Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPGWatch review of Risen

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mikayel said:
Yeah you miss out on some quests but hey man, choices and consequences. Pick whatever faction you want based on what character build you were planning to go into.

And that's the problem. Meta-gaming is an undeniable element of any game experience, and since Risen is so heavily politicized, it's annoying that I have to - say - chooses mages if I want to be a mage even if I sympathize a lot with the bandits. Especially since the faction-choice heavily limits your dialogue/quest options later down the line.

Sure, I'm not denying there's a certain internal logic there, and that's cool, but Gothic had internal logic too, and never had a problem keeping factions and classes apart (other than the little oddness with the swamp camp and mages), there's nothing restricting Risen to do the same. Instead, the developers chose to do this whole one-faction one-class thing, and kind of folded the game around it. That's fine, but it negates the actual political investment of a player in his faction since chances are he primarily chose it out of class-based considerations. Just sayin'

Mikayel said:
would you have preferred a rehash of the end dragon of gothic 2?

Yes. The Gothic 2 end-battle actually a) fitted the genre of the game and b) satisfactorily used any items, skills and tricks I have learned throughout the game. It's as good as end-sequences get. Idiotic 3D platform jumpers are not my idea of satisfying end-battles.

Blackadder said:
This game sounds more and more like G2. I won't complain about that though, as G2 is an excellent action RPG.

It's a Gothic 2 remake, only less good. If I'd give Gothic II Gold, easily one of my favourite RPGs of all time, a 9.5, I'd give Risen a 7.5 (which I think I about did).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^First, what he said.

No, larping would be if I, the player, pretended that I had to go to a trainer to build up my character.

You are pretending the training matters. Besides spending gold and walking to the guy, it doesn't. It has none of the implications/consequences associated with training. Training in Risen isn't different from training in Might&Magic VII

Never said you did, but if you read my post earlier I said we're obviously not talking in absolutes - Risen attempts to include a more realistic approach to gameplay and character development, I'm obviously comparing this to other RPGs, the overwhelming majority of which just got "ding, +1 to whatever!". You don't think its more realistic than just opening a character tab and clicking which stat to raise? Even without an NPC trainer saying "okay now lift these weights" needing to actually seek help to raise STR is a hundred times more realistic than your character's strength increasing because you hit the 'level up' button.

No, I don't think it's more realistic. Instead of automatically getting better at stealth by killing a mosquito, you get better at stealth by killing a mosquito and then going to pay a guy to get better.

How does the game fail the above? Show some examples please. you've just been saying "this game fails" so far without even trying to offer any reasoning behind it, other than the occasional remark of how you don't like it for personal reasons.

I try to take your arguments seriously, and I ask you to do the same with mine. The above is simplified and outright untrue. I provided one statement that had something to do with personal reasons, and I've provided many reasons for why I think the game's design is bad.

Has no merit in this specific game? Seriously? The entire game's direction is built around the fact that your character's build is going to be based on which faction you join - how the fuck does that not qualify as 'having merit in this specific game'?

Because it fails to make me care about these factions, since they're both constituted by flat characters without reasoning. I grant you that the game tries, and at the start does gain some terrain. But when you tear of the wrapping, there's nothing underneath.

Actually that's 100% personal opinion as it is nothing but your subjective interpretation of quality.

No, it's not. It's not "subjective" that the characters are flat. It's basic writing; characters need to have real emotions, goals and connections which need to be "shown not told" over the course of the story. Risen is a glaring example on how to do that wrong. It's obvious in the case of the other characters. In the case of the main character, the make him a blank slate to offer us RPG, but fail to give us enough methods to characterize him ourselves.

That's not subjective, it's arguable.

I'm not understanding what you're going on about - are you saying the game's writing is poor because of the words the characters use or are you criticizing the personalities portrayed by the writing in the game? The line about the game's use of 'adjectives' really throws me off man, maybe this is a language barrier thing, but unless you're seriously talking about the characters just using different descriptive words I am confused as to whether or not you understand the meaning of that word.

Poor choice of words perhaps. What I mean beyond what I already said above, is since the game fails to give the characters any personalities, it must attempt to characterize them more simply. Thereby leading to the "this guy is the badass guy who uses swear-words" (trainer at the monestary for example), "this guy is law-abiding strict master" and so on. It uses archetypes to avoid fleshing out the characters.

As for how the characters are different than each other... well... master Cyrus uses magic in the temple, the warriors sometimes use crystals or melee with staves, and I've seen bandits shoot down enemies from a distance with bows then close in with swords/axes when they get close. I don't know how you'd want them to behave any different other than how they fight and how they speak. But again, I'm not all together too sure what you're getting at.

Wait... You're arguing the difference between using bows and staffs is characterization?

I never claimed they're fully fleshed or interesting. Want my thoughts on the matter? There are some parts that are great. Scordo's lecture on pride when you finally deal with him if you join the Order or Mages, every moment of speech the Inquisitor and the Don have, and even some of Romanov's lines are rather well done. The druid Eldric had some witty moments as well - the lines were he talks about the character being illogical while he himself is mostly rambling, this was done obviously to show how he's sharp minded but eccentric, and being on his own has tarnished his social skills.

There are some parts that are pretty lame - a lot of the dialog is pretty short and characters don't get a chance to develop into actual characters as opposed to quest way points or trade hubs. Those that do are memorable but the majority just remain as one time use and dispose types. I honestly fault the need to have everything voiced in the game, as while its neat, I really don't see it as remotely necessary. If the game was mostly text based without the need for voice overs I believe the devs would have more time to flesh the characters out. Damn shame but eh, the entire game has that lurking feeling that if PB had more time to work on it, it would have been much better. Surprisingly well polished in many regards, but lacking in content in many others.

This I agree with completely.

I think the basics of our agreement might be that you think the good ideas make the game good, while I think the good ideas only qualify as good in a context. And the context of which the good ideas are presented in Risen, is not the right context for the ideas to be good. Ehm. That was a very complicated way of saying: Risen has some good ideas, but they don't add anything because the context they are in do not provide the basis for them to work.

Murk

Arcane
Grunker said:
You are pretending the training matters. Besides spending gold and walking to the guy, it doesn't. It has none of the implications/consequences associated with training. Training in Risen isn't different from training in Might&Magic VII

How else would training matter? Would you want the game to require your character to actually spend months lifting a heavy piece of metal until his arms got bigger? The game has to make a certain cut off of annoyingly too realistic and seemingly well presented, and it does that at a point that requires you to actually seek aid in training but doesn't require you to dedicate a ridiculous amount of time to a repetitive and boring task.

So yeah, training does matter - otherwise your character wouldn't advance, and the presentation of it is closer to reality than a game that just adds a number to it... well, at least in the case of skills and abilities, stats juts go 'ding!'.

No, I don't think it's more realistic. Instead of automatically getting better at stealth by killing a mosquito, you get better at stealth by killing a mosquito and then going to pay a guy to get better.

Yeah, but that guy actually EXPLAINS to your character how to go about being stealthy. If you didn't like the detail that's fine, but don't deny its existence.

I try to take your arguments seriously, and I ask you to do the same with mine. The above is simplified and outright untrue. I provided one statement that had something to do with personal reasons, and I've provided many reasons for why I think the game's design is bad.

If i didn't take your argument seriously I wouldn't dedicate time to responding to it.

Let's recap the above post. I said the game has an internally consistent logic that mirrors reality. You said it doesn't. You did not offer a reasoning as to how it doesn't have an internally consistent logic (something that you can't actually do since the game does in fact, 100% objectively speaking, have this [and you even agreed with Brother None above when he said he agreed with it]) and the mirrors reality part? Well we've been over that many times. If you don't like the game requiring you to seek training for getting better that's one thing, but it does have that detail - and that detail is more realistic than a character just gaining new spells because they killed enough gnomes.

Because it fails to make me care about these factions, since they're both constituted by flat characters without reasoning. I grant you that the game tries, and at the start does gain some terrain. But when you tear of the wrapping, there's nothing underneath.

Then what are you arguing about? If you don't care about the game's world and characters then pick a faction based on what class and skills it makes available.

No, it's not. It's not "subjective" that the characters are flat. It's basic writing; characters need to have real emotions, goals and connections which need to be "shown not told" over the course of the story. Risen is a glaring example on how to do that wrong.

Dude, you're evaluating quality. That's subjectivity. That's opinion.

It's obvious in the case of the other characters. In the case of the main character, the make him a blank slate to offer us RPG, but fail to give us enough methods to characterize him ourselves.

Uhh I thought it was fine. Would I have liked more character development options? Yeah but that can be said of damn near every game, including Arcanum which had one of the most extensive character development systems to date.

Poor choice of words perhaps. What I mean beyond what I already said above, is since the game fails to give the characters any personalities, it must attempt to characterize them more simply. Thereby leading to the "this guy is the badass guy who uses swear-words" (trainer at the monestary for example), "this guy is law-abiding strict master" and so on. It uses archetypes to avoid fleshing out the characters.

I agree, and it's a damn shame, but in terms of comparing Risen's NPCs to the average of the current RPG catalog - it's above average.

Easy example of a character that's different than they seem - Alrec the staff trainer at the monastery. He talks the clean game and preaches discipline yet he favors certain people, is a drug dealer, and even resorts to murder in order to keep his cut of the money. Not terribly original but it has some depth to it, and requires an entire investigation to ferret him out.

Wait... You're arguing the difference between using bows and staffs is characterization?

no, I'm saying that each faction using their skills that are unique to their faction is a pretty obvious way of showing how the factions and characters are different from one another.

This I agree with completely.

I think the basics of our agreement might be that you think the good ideas make the game good, while I think the good ideas only qualify as good in a context. And the context of which the good ideas are presented in Risen, is not the right context for the ideas to be good. Ehm. That was a very complicated way of saying: Risen has some good ideas, but they don't add anything because the context they are in do not provide the basis for them to work.

This part is still murky to me as it seems to say that Risen had good ideas that would have worked in another game/setting?

personally I thought they worked good in the current game/setting. But eh, taste and all that jazz

Murk

Arcane
Brother None said:
And that's the problem. Meta-gaming is an undeniable element of any game experience, and since Risen is so heavily politicized, it's annoying that I have to - say - chooses mages if I want to be a mage even if I sympathize a lot with the bandits. Especially since the faction-choice heavily limits your dialogue/quest options later down the line.

Sure, I'm not denying there's a certain internal logic there, and that's cool, but Gothic had internal logic too, and never had a problem keeping factions and classes apart (other than the little oddness with the swamp camp and mages), there's nothing restricting Risen to do the same. Instead, the developers chose to do this whole one-faction one-class thing, and kind of folded the game around it. That's fine, but it negates the actual political investment of a player in his faction since chances are he primarily chose it out of class-based considerations. Just sayin'

Gothic 1 had the formula of each camp having a recruit caste, a warrior caste, and a mage caste... Gothic 2 definitely didn't though. In it you picked either the full warrior faction (mercenaries -> dragon hunters), the full mage faction (novice -> fire mage), or the gish faction (militia -> paladin), and Risen definitely borrows more from Gothic 2 than it does from Gothic 1.

I honestly picked the bandit's camp in Risen my first playthrough not because I planned to use swords but because I believed all the propaganda that was spread by the Don's men that the order brainwashes people -- an idea that was reinforced in game by the order's own people telling me "hey, be careful, if they catch you then they will take you to the monastery".

I agree that it would require a sense of meta-gaming if you want to experience the faction, but I still find the realistic approach of requiring you to balance goals and beliefs with resources. This is how reality is - if you want to be a pilot you join an organization that trains and specializes in flying - you don't join a naval organization because you agree with their ideals then complain that the boats don't fly.

Legitimate choices and consequences, and one's that don't just revolve around a dialog option. Gothic 2 did it and I liked it, and Risen did it and I liked it. If anything I would have preferred the factions to be even more different in skill's available from one another - like no ranged weapons training at all to mages and level 3 lock picking only available to the bandits.

Yes. The Gothic 2 end-battle actually a) fitted the genre of the game and b) satisfactorily used any items, skills and tricks I have learned throughout the game. It's as good as end-sequences get. Idiotic 3D platform jumpers are not my idea of satisfying end-battles.

I got no argument here - I didn't think Risen's end was great but I was fine with it. The Dragons in Gothic 2 (NOTR) were usually too strong to melee when I got to them so I would either Summon a demon to murder them (and oh god that worked way too well) or spam my scrolls of Fire Rain. And I never played as a Mage in G2, I was always a Dragon Hunter (and once a Paladin) - so it wasn't at all how I had built my character tbh.

It's a Gothic 2 remake, only less good. If I'd give Gothic II Gold, easily one of my favourite RPGs of all time, a 9.5, I'd give Risen a 7.5 (which I think I about did).

Definitely agree on the first part of it being a remake - but I'd say it actually improves in many areas.... and yeah it does go down in others. The melee combat system is much better I think, the enemies' AI is much better, the graphics are obviously insanely better, the voice acting is better and has a lot less awkward lines, but the world is much smaller, much less to explore, much less to do, and the ending is very limp compared to Gothic 2's build up.

I wouldn't say Risen is better than G2, but if G2 got a 9.5 (which I agree with 100%), I'd give Risen an 8-8.5, which actually isn't too far off from your own score, but I guess I just enjoyed it more.

I still can't agree with you saying the graphics are dated though - the character models have moments of fugliness but the absolutely beautiful game world, vegetation, and how amazingly well it runs just make up for it.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mikayel said:
Risen definitely borrows more from Gothic 2 than it does from Gothic 1.

Sure. Only the faction are over-politicized to share such a similar function with Gothic 2.

Mikayel said:
I agree that it would require a sense of meta-gaming if you want to experience the faction, but I still find the realistic approach of requiring you to balance goals and beliefs with resources. This is how reality is - if you want to be a pilot you join an organization that trains and specializes in flying - you don't join a naval organization because you agree with their ideals then complain that the boats don't fly.

"This is how reality is" means I would also have to spend several ingame years slowly crawling up the ranks and arduously training (which I think Grunker also referred to). In game design, "reality" should never take precedence over good design.

Mikayel said:
Legitimate choices and consequences.

Yes. But that alone does not make it a good design decision. Don't put such tunnel vision on choice 'n consequence, it's not a magic fix-all concept.

In fact, I would say this is a constrain on the legitimacy of "true" choice and consequence. The game is offering you a moral choice in a very grey political landscape. Then it forces your hand to join a faction if you wish to become a certain class. That negates the moral value of your choice, thus undoing a potentially more significant choice and consequence, since the player has no burden to carry on his choice: it was made for him.

Mikayel said:
The Dragons in Gothic 2 (NOTR) were usually too strong to melee when I got to them so I would either Summon a demon to murder them (and oh god that worked way too well) or spam my scrolls of Fire Rain. And I never played as a Mage in G2, I was always a Dragon Hunter (and once a Paladin) - so it wasn't at all how I had built my character tbh.

The dragons were hard but doable for a good melee character. I don't remember using exploits to kill them, but it was certainly one of the ways to do it, yes.

Mikayel said:
The melee combat system is much better I think, the enemies' AI is much better, the graphics are obviously insanely better, the voice acting is better and has a lot less awkward line

Yes. I talk of all these improvement in my review, so you're not telling me anything new.

Mikayel said:
I wouldn't say Risen is better than G2, but if G2 got a 9.5 (which I agree with 100%), I'd give Risen an 8-8.5, which actually isn't too far off from your own score, but I guess I just enjoyed it more.

The difference between 7.4 and an 8-8.5 is very significant in my mind. I would never give Risen an 8.5, not even close.

Then again, I hate scoring, and I'm glad we dropped it at GB so I didn't have to do it for Borderlands and onwards.

Mikayel said:
I still can't agree with you saying the graphics are dated though.

I never said they're dated. I don't give less than 2 cents about graphic fidelity, though, and the world design - much more important to me - is pretty cool.

Murk

Arcane
Brother None said:
Sure. Only the faction are over-politicized to share such a similar function with Gothic 2.

yeah, I loved it. :)

Mikayel said:
"This is how reality is" means I would also have to spend several ingame years slowly crawling up the ranks and arduously training (which I think Grunker also referred to). In game design, "reality" should never take precedence over good design.

Lines have to be drawn somewhere - and I covered that training bit above. But in a game that does focus on political intrigue having a decision that involves both possible resources and personal goals seems pretty fitting to me. You're in a situation where there are only two sides and each has their own skills. I don't know I guess I just really appreciated this choice/consequence in the game.

Yes. But that alone does not make it a good design decision. Don't put such tunnel vision on choice 'n consequence, it's not a magic fix-all concept.

I've probably never used the phrase "choices n consequences" so much as in this thread - I do appreciate a good impact in a game, but you have to keep in mind that I am not one of those C&C lovers that value it above everything else. I like me some good gameplay.

In fact, I would say this is a constrain on the legitimacy of "true" choice and consequence. The game is offering you a moral choice in a very grey political landscape. Then it forces your hand to join a faction if you wish to become a certain class. That negates the moral value of your choice, thus undoing a potentially more significant choice and consequence, since the player has no burden to carry on his choice: it was made for him.

That's one way to look at it - sure, but another is that the factions that have their own goals and beliefs also have a certain set of skills that they have come to represent. Your character is placed in a two-way decision, admittedly, of either siding with the inquisition (mages or order) or with the Don (bandits) but that's all the Island has to offer. There are some situations in life where that's just how it goes and you have to pick either based on what you want from the resources (what skills and abilities) or what ideals to pursue (politics). I honestly didn't see a problem in a game requiring me to make a decision that balances both faction and "class". I can see however that this will be silly to continue arguing, so I'll stop at this point unless you'd like a response.

The dragons were hard but doable for a good melee character. I don't remember using exploits to kill them, but it was certainly one of the ways to do it, yes.

Perhaps it was just my last play through then. I have played vanilla G2 3 times and never had a problem with it but I have only played NOTR once and in it I was having quite a bit of difficulty with two of the stronger dragons (fire and ice I think?) but managed to melee the stone and swamp dragons easily. The other two I couldn't damage enough before they healed and avoided me so I was forced to think of some other tactics - which I actually didn't mind. I like a good challenge and the need to think of weird tactics and crazy shenanigans is a welcomed situation to me.

Yes. I talk of all these improvement in my review, so you're not telling me anything new.

Err that was more a response to Black Adder that went alongside your own - didn't actually mean to argue with you on there.

I never said they're dated. I don't give less than 2 cents about graphic fidelity, though, and the world design - much more important to me - is pretty cool.

I seemed to remember you saying its behind its contemporaries, but looking at the review again, you also followed that up with a "did a great job in design" - so I guess I just retarded memory. My bad.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Mikayel said:
I honestly didn't see a problem in a game requiring me to make a decision that balances both faction and "class". I can see however that this will be silly to continue arguing, so I'll stop at this point unless you'd like a response.

Agreed. This seems more a matter of subtle differences in preferences than core game design principles.

Mikayel said:
Perhaps it was just my last play through then. I have played vanilla G2 3 times and never had a problem with it but I have only played NOTR once and in it I was having quite a bit of difficulty with two of the stronger dragons (fire and ice I think?) but managed to melee the stone and swamp dragons easily. The other two I couldn't damage enough before they healed and avoided me so I was forced to think of some other tactics - which I actually didn't mind. I like a good challenge and the need to think of weird tactics and crazy shenanigans is a welcomed situation to me.

Dunno. Never played Gothic II other than Gold (so with NotR). I did need a tank to absorb attacks from the Dragon as well (think I used skeletons for that?), but nothing more.

Mikayel said:
I seemed to remember you saying its behind its contemporaries, but looking at the review again, you also followed that up with a "did a great job in design" - so I guess I just retarded memory. My bad.

It is technically inferior to the front-runners of AAA RPGs, being BioWare's RPGs (not Bethesda, they're shit) and jRPGs, all of which have vastly superior technical graphical fidelity, but often more tepid/uninteresting design.

Murk

Arcane
^ Agreed on all the above.

The gold version is easily twice as hard as the vanilla. Not only is LP staunched and thus you're gimped, enemies are also much stronger - a fight with a group of goblins in the first five character levels is easily turned into you being murdered viciously when they circle you and club you to death. In Vanilla you never have to spend more than 10LP to raise your weapon skill, and when you do spend 10LP, your other weapon skill rises with it (so in reality you still end up spending only 5LP on the actual weapon skill). Stats also remain much cheaper to raise.

I was very much happy with it however, as before I would just run in and one-hit goblins with no regard to my own safety. So when I gang raped in my first encounter I realized that PB had made the expansion not only for people playing for the first time but more so for people replaying it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Okay, I'm a little late, so I might be saying one or two things already covered by BN. Sorry 'bout that.

If you don't like the game requiring you to seek training for getting better that's one thing, but it does have that detail - and that detail is more realistic than a character just gaining new spells because they killed enough gnomes.

But he does get new spells by killing gnomes doesn't he? He qualifies for training in spells by whacking gnomes with his staff. Don't fucking make a feature that's a simple as "Pay gold. Level up." more complex than it is.

And just for the heck of it, let me use some demagorgy for good ol' fun: You know what has a more realistic leveling-system? Oblivion ;)

(And that system fucking sucks, proving the point of good design > realism.)

Then what are you arguing about? If you don't care about the game's world and characters then pick a faction based on what class and skills it makes available.

:roll:

Infallable logic. The game tries to make me care about the factions, and attempts to set up a moral dilemma and it wants me to make a choice. It actually gets huge credits for this, it's just sad it fails miserably. But back on track: Since it so obviously believes in itself, what's the need to throw something so core gameplay-related into it? As Brother None so finely pointed out, there's absolutely no reason to have that consequence if you can make the other one good enough.

My guess is the design-choice is done purely on making the replayability go up.

Dude, you're evaluating quality. That's subjectivity. That's opinion.

Are you saying it's impossible to evaluate anything then? 'cause that's what I'm hearing, and I disagree very, very much. It's perfectly possible to evaluate good or bad writing to the degree that mechanics have been set up in the history of literature. Why else would there be fields of study on the subject?

Risen's writing is packed with cliché, it fails at "show don't tell," it does not flesh out its characters and it's riddled with inconsistency. This is bad writing.

Out of interest: Do you think Risen has good writing?

Uhh I thought it was fine. Would I have liked more character development options? Yeah but that can be said of damn near every game, including Arcanum which had one of the most extensive character development systems to date.

There's a big difference about characterizing and the character development. Risen's character development is incredibly shallow, to the point I don't think I've actually played any high profile-RPG with a character development quite so bad. But that wasn't my point: You should be able to define you protagonist, or, alternatively, the game should do it for you, a la VtM: Redemption. I mean, who is this guy? The game basically does not lets you do this. It swings back and forth trying to do the job itself, and the next minute it tries to make an attempt at letting you do it.

I agree, and it's a damn shame, but in terms of comparing Risen's NPCs to the average of the current RPG catalog - it's above average.

No, it is not. Perhaps it's above average in the sense that there's 900 million JRPG's out there with characters so shallow they make you puke. But if you attempt to bring Risen into the "RPGs worth playing"-club, it is below average in almost every way, except a potentially mysterious and worthwhile setting.

Easy example of a character that's different than they seem - Alrec the staff trainer at the monastery. He talks the clean game and preaches discipline yet he favors certain people, is a drug dealer, and even resorts to murder in order to keep his cut of the money. Not terribly original but it has some depth to it, and requires an entire investigation to ferret him out.

I was just about to bring him up actually ;)

He is about the only guy they attempt to go deeper with. He is on par with the aforementioned club at least. But that's one example. I fail to see others. Risen reminds me somewhat of a Joss Whedon movie without the pizazz. It has three categories: Good badass, bad badass, and pitiful. Half the signature-quotes of one character could be said by any character in the game without you thinking: "Hey, that's weird. He wasn't characterized as such."

no, I'm saying that each faction using their skills that are unique to their faction is a pretty obvious way of showing how the factions and characters are different from one another.

Then I respectfully reserve the right to say that that's fucking retarded ;)

This part is still murky to me as it seems to say that Risen had good ideas that would have worked in another game/setting?

personally I thought they worked good in the current game/setting. But eh, taste and all that jazz

Let me clarify: I think Risen is complete and utter crap. I think it is one of the worst RPGs I've played recently, to the extent that it fails even worse than Neverwinter Nights 1. It has ideas than are good on paper, but fail miserably in execution. I have rarely been so bored out of my skull with a game.

The personal opinion here, is my dislike of the gameplay. This is purely personal. But if you notice that, I haven't made a single comment about that, because I know it's my personal opinion.

What I argue hasn't got shit to do with personal opinion is bad design and horrible, horrible writing.

Bullshit. In real life you can just leave your faction, suffer the consequences, and fly for someone else. You can't do that in Risen. I don't fault them for that, I fault them for trying to achieve realism that only serves as a nuisance because higher levels are impossible.

Oh, nevermind, seems Brother None already said it:

Murk

Arcane
Grunker said:
But he does get new spells by killing gnomes doesn't he? He qualifies for training in spells by whacking gnomes with his staff. Don't fucking make a feature that's a simple as "Pay gold. Level up." more complex than it is.

Suspension of disbelief and all that. we've been repeating the same thing at one another quite a bit so I'm going to drop this avenue. we clearly won't see eye to eye.

And just for the heck of it, let me use some demagorgy for good ol' fun: You know what has a more realistic leveling-system? Oblivion ;)

(And that system fucking sucks, proving the point of good design > realism.)

I never played Oblivion (or Morrowind) so I can't actually comment on it aside from hear-say and I'll pass on all that.

Infallable logic. The game tries to make me care about the factions, and attempts to set up a moral dilemma and it wants me to make a choice. It actually gets huge credits for this, it's just sad it fails miserably.

On one hand you argued that you don't dare care about the game's characters or factions (thus picking a side based only on game mechanics is fine) yet you argue that you can't because... so you do care about the game?

But back on track: Since it so obviously believes in itself, what's the need to throw something so core gameplay-related into it? As Brother None so finely pointed out, there's absolutely no reason to have that consequence if you can make the other one good enough.

I'm sorry but I don't follow. The game believes in itself? Make what other one good enough? Sorry if I seem to be dismissing your words but I honestly cannot understand what you mean.

My guess is the design-choice is done purely on making the replayability go up.

Not necessarily - it was a copied implementation of gothic 2's style, but Risen had a more Politicized setting (to quote Brother None). The chief gripe seems to be that you guys don't like the idea of having to consider both ideology with character resources. There's really nowhere to go from here. That's how the game is and it didn't appeal to you. No point in repeating ourselves anymore, yes?

Are you saying it's impossible to evaluate anything then? 'cause that's what I'm hearing, and I disagree very, very much. It's perfectly possible to evaluate good or bad writing to the degree that mechanics have been set up in the history of literature. Why else would there be fields of study on the subject?

Not at all sir - it can be, but this series of arguements (specifically the responses to that section in the previous posts) all came from you saying this: "
No, it's not. It's not "subjective" that the characters are flat." - I argued that it is subjective. Yeah, semantics, fine, but if the majority of your complaints are matters of taste then I really have nothing to argue with, right?

due to quote tag limits in posts I will post as second response with the rest...

Murk

Arcane
Risen's writing is packed with cliché, it fails at "show don't tell," it does not flesh out its characters and it's riddled with inconsistency. This is bad writing.

Out of interest: Do you think Risen has good writing?

I gave examples of characters and events that I thought were good in previous posts - the writing does lack a lot, but its probably the best that PB has done. I'm not giving them a free pass on it, but it's not terrible either.

Another example of good writing that definitely showed was the propaganda about the order that the don's men spread out. You start the game by bumping into a bandit, Jan, that actually helps you and offers you show you around a bit. Your first encounter with the order however is either them attacking you or one of their recruits warning you to avoid the rest of the order otherwise they'll draft you. This makes you honestly think "hmm, what exactly is going on in the order?". Seems like pretty good writing there to me...

There's a big difference about characterizing and the character development. Risen's character development is incredibly shallow, to the point I don't think I've actually played any high profile-RPG with a character development quite so bad. But that wasn't my point: You should be able to define you protagonist, or, alternatively, the game should do it for you, a la VtM: Redemption. I mean, who is this guy? The game basically does not lets you do this. It swings back and forth trying to do the job itself, and the next minute it tries to make an attempt at letting you do it.

Hmm I see what you mean. Now a question for you - how did you feel about Gothic 1 and 2s way of handling this? Risen allows for more character building than the Gothic games and handles the player's direct control of the protagonist in the same way - you get to choose what things you say, for the most part, but can't distill any personality in him (this latter part is difficult to do in any game, requires a lot of dialog, and this would tie into one of my chief complaints about the PB games - mandatory voice acting).

No, it is not. Perhaps it's above average in the sense that there's 900 million JRPG's out there with characters so shallow they make you puke. But if you attempt to bring Risen into the "RPGs worth playing"-club, it is below average in almost every way, except a potentially mysterious and worthwhile setting.

Donno man I'm thinking of Bioware games when I wrote that and I'd say that the majority of Bioware's NPCs (not the main characters, mind you, but the people you meet during quests and all that) are all pretty clear cut stereotypes... in Risen they're a bit of a mixed bag in some cases and pretty obvious stereotypes in others.

and part three to follow!

Murk

Arcane
I was just about to bring him up actually ;)

He is about the only guy they attempt to go deeper with. He is on par with the aforementioned club at least. But that's one example. I fail to see others. Risen reminds me somewhat of a Joss Whedon movie without the pizazz. It has three categories: Good badass, bad badass, and pitiful. Half the signature-quotes of one character could be said by any character in the game without you thinking: "Hey, that's weird. He wasn't characterized as such."

What about Eldric the crazy druid? I honestly found his tangents and obtuse view of 'logic' to be pretty interesting. The line where he says the word "inquisitor" and from it spirals into a tangent on the ridiculous irony of a close-minded man being "inquisitive". I thought he was a pretty good character - or when he accuses you of being illogical when you actually make a pretty logical statement.

Yeah you are right in that a lot of the NPCs don't get expanded on - and it's a damn shame, I agree.

Then I respectfully reserve the right to say that that's fucking retarded ;)

In what way? How does the concept of groups, that are different from one another, having their members behave in somewhat uniform and unique-to-group ways come out to being fucking retarded?

Bullshit. In real life you can just leave your faction, suffer the consequences, and fly for someone else. You can't do that in Risen. I don't fault them for that, I fault them for trying to achieve realism that only serves as a nuisance because higher levels are impossible.

Game's are way too limited in their capacity to be that in depth - details like seeking assistance from trainers and having to weigh the consequences of your chosen faction's ideologies and resources, on the other hand, are doable and realistic while not approaching territory of requiring you to take your character to the latrine multiple times a day.

The game has to try to do what it can - and the limited implementation of realism and choices and consequences is something that PB has always done well and received a lot of applause for. It apparently does not live up to your standards, well that sucks and I don't argue against that. what I did argue against was you saying its not realistic or that it's objectively bad (thus wrong).

Oh, nevermind, seems Brother None already said it:

I've answered this at least twice now - in fact, I even mentioned it to you before Brother None responded with it. The game has to draw a line somewhere and it implements some rather minor aspects of reality into the game - like the character not learning magic when he kills 1 gnome more than the previous 999, or not magically gaining 10 pounds of muscle after he gives 5 plants to the alchemist.

Let me clarify: I think Risen is complete and utter crap. I think it is one of the worst RPGs I've played recently, to the extent that it fails even worse than Neverwinter Nights 1. It has ideas than are good on paper, but fail miserably in execution. I have rarely been so bored out of my skull with a game.

>;(

The personal opinion here, is my dislike of the gameplay. This is purely personal. But if you notice that, I haven't made a single comment about that, because I know it's my personal opinion.

What I argue hasn't got shit to do with personal opinion is bad design and horrible, horrible writing.

Dude there's no objective method of evaluating quality. If you want' to argue that the mechanics are weak because the game breaks down in the end with you just slashing your way through (which it does) or that the entire second half of the game is a non-stop lizardmen genocide simulator (which it is), or that the idea of wielding a two-handed sword with one hand just as fast if not faster than you did with two hands AND while holding a shield is STUPID and ILLOGICAL (which it is) by all means do so - those are completely objective remarks.

But saying the game's design is bad and writing is shit because you THINK so is not being objective.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Garp arp rp. We've been beating around the same bush for long enough. I believe I've provided arguments, you believe I haven't. So instead of continuing what has on some levels been a good discussion, which I don't think will educate any of us further, let me highlight what I believe to be our main disagreement:

The game has to try to do what it can

No it doesn't. The above is really as subjective as it gets. It doesn't have to try being as realistic as it can, there are tons of other ways to make immersion work - without letting the rest of the design suffer. If it goes down that route, it better do so fucking properly. Summa summarum? It doesn't.

That is why, in conclusion, regardless of your arguments, that the game design > realism argument is a sound one.

EDIT: A quick note on my thoughts on the Gothics: As I said, I dislike the whole First/Third Person Swordsmanship gameplay-mechanic. I tried the Gothics, but I couldn't muster the entuthiasm to finish them, so I'm really not qualified to comment on them.

Murk

Arcane
Grunker said:
Garp arp rp. We've been beating around the same bush for long enough. I believe I've provided arguments, you believe I haven't. So instead of continuing what has on some levels been a good discussion, which I don't think will educate any of us further, let me highlight what I believe to be our main disagreement:

yes yes yes - I agree with this. i was just about to post a "holy fuck let's forget this" when I realized I had make a 3 part post just to account for all of the fucking quote-tags to avoid 'borkededing the codex'.

The game has to try to do what it can

No it doesn't. The above is really as subjective as it gets. It doesn't have to try being as realistic as it can, there are tons of other ways to make immersion work - without letting the rest of the design suffer. If it goes down that route, it better do so fucking properly. Summa summarum? It doesn't.

See I don't recall saying the game has to be realistic, I recall saying the game tires to be more realistic and that I find its a nice touch. The approach in Risen is one that's been used by PB in the past on all their games - and their games have usually been met with pretty good response. Now the general consensus doesn't matter in an individual, but my point is that PB hasn't somehow fucked up in trying to keep minor touches of realistic detail in their games' character development and faction choosing system.

That is why, in conclusion, regardless of your arguments, that the game design > realism argument is a sound one.

I agree with this of course - otherwise I wouldn't play RPGs which are almost always very fantastical and so un-realistic. This is also in part why its such a nice refresher when a game manages to blend in certain realistic touches into an otherwise fantasy game and, much like Gothic 1 and 2, Risen has achieved this. Regardless of whether you liked it or not, said traces of realism were in the game.

EDIT: A quick note on my thoughts on the Gothics: As I said, I dislike the whole First/Third Person Swordsmanship gameplay-mechanic. I tried the Gothics, but I couldn't muster the entuthiasm to finish them, so I'm really not qualified to comment on them.

Hmm, and what about Risen? How far into Risen did you get?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hmm, and what about Risen? How far into Risen did you get?

I actually completed it. But, I must admit, I actually cheated/exploited my way through 5 or 6 parts of the combat. Not because they were hard, but because it bored me. I have never completed a game on first playthrough like that, but with Risen... well, all the fights seemed the same, regardless of my level and the encounterdesign. I never seemed to have to employ new tactics. The combat-gameplay seems like bad First/Third Person Shooter for me. I can dig that some people like though, if they're able to immerse themselves in the whole swordfighting thing. I'm not.

Murk

Arcane
Seems like the game itself was built out of individual parts of stuff that, specifically, aren't to your preference.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mikayel said:
Seems like the game itself was built out of individual parts of stuff that, specifically, aren't to your preference.

I c wat ure doing.

Just because I don't like that part doesn't mean I can't appreciate other parts of the game ;)

I'm not very fond of QTE's, yet one of my favourite games, Fahrenheit, use nothing but.

Murk

Arcane
Not sure what you mean as to what I'm doing but, rather, I wish I had asked what your thought of the game was before any arguing ensued.

If you had said the "worse than nwn 1" line before all this I wouldn't have pursued anything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Mikayel said:
Not sure what you mean as to what I'm doing but, rather, I wish I had asked what your thought of the game was before any arguing ensued.

If you had said the "worse than nwn 1" line before all this I wouldn't have pursued anything.

I would never argue it was worse than NWN1 for anyone but myself, though. That's entire to do with the gameplay-style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom