Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS modified into a unique RPG

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's all about feeling that ones decisions have real consequences for the gameword, that they are something more than a generic "thank you adventurers for help"
What consequences? What do you mean? How is the wood pile increasing going to affect the game world?

Reverse Majesty. If AI has enough resources it will upgrade shops, letting you buy more advanced equipment.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Specifically AoE2 would have been an awesome base to rebuild into a proper RPG. Can't get enough of AoE2's fantastic aesthetics, somehow they managed to make it even better in definitive edition.

Looks like they actually put in effort huh.
New-Project.png

(Both a ~15 year gap)
Is that the Pimp-my-Ride Edition on the right-hand side? I don't remember the HD version looking like that.

deama

Prophet
OP you could try to make a map mode like this in Warcraft 3 (or any of its clones) since these RTS's already have heroes that level up their abilities and attributes and have inventories.

The hero abilities and the inventories are so basic though, and there's not much room for good encounter design. And the camera sucks.
Actually there are some insane maps/campaigns done for warcraft 3, I remember several mmorpg-esque grand ones like TKOK eastern kingdom with a fully fledged ability tree, inventory system, complex raid-like bosses, etc..

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
It's all about feeling that ones decisions have real consequences for the gameword, that they are something more than a generic "thank you adventurers for help"
What consequences? What do you mean? How is the wood pile increasing going to affect the game world?

Have you ever played an RTS before? That wood could be used to build buildings or create new units. Every enemy villager NPC you kill slightly impacts the overall economy of the enemy faction. Every enemy soldier you kill means one less soldier your faction will have to face later when attacking/defending. Whereas in almost all RPGs if you don't kill an enemy soldier during a mission that soldier ceases to exist after the mission ends anyway and that soldier never really had any impact on the wider world around him.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Isn't this just Warlords BattleCry 3 campaign mode? Actually they had full on saveable "characters" as well that had skill trees and items.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Have you ever played an RTS before? That wood could be used to build buildings or create new units. Every enemy villager NPC you kill slightly impacts the overall economy of the enemy faction. Every enemy soldier you kill means one less soldier your faction will have to face later when attacking/defending. Whereas in almost all RPGs if you don't kill an enemy soldier during a mission that soldier ceases to exist after the mission ends anyway and that soldier never really had any impact on the wider world around him.
What you're describing sounds like an RTS, except the player only controls one unit.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
I remember Heroes of Annihilated Empires which was meant to be a multipart series but only released one part and was some RPG-RTS-Mix, but it didn't feel so much like it?

What really felt like it was the campaign mode of Cultures 2 - at least in a few missions. Oh man, I really should replay that game somewhen in the future.

FriendlyMerchant

Specifically AoE2 would have been an awesome base to rebuild into a proper RPG. Can't get enough of AoE2's fantastic aesthetics, somehow they managed to make it even better in definitive edition.

Looks like they actually put in effort huh.
New-Project.png

(Both a ~15 year gap)

Graphical enhancement means tracing all the character sprites with a black line amirite?

Codex Year of the Donut

Reverse Majesty. If AI has enough resources it will upgrade shops, letting you buy more advanced equipment.
Turn game on, go to sleep, wake up and buy good gear.

FriendlyMerchant

Player not completing enough jobs in a certain time period leading to town/city destruction is added to counteract this .

Codex Year of the Donut

Player not completing enough jobs in a certain time period leading to town/city destruction is added to counteract this .
How is this different or superior to -- theoretically -- Underrail merchants having better items to sell after solving the issues in Foundry which are causing a major supply disruption?

FriendlyMerchant

How is this different or superior to -- theoretically -- Underrail merchants having better items to sell after solving the issues in Foundry which are causing a major supply disruption?
When did Underrail come up again?

Codex Year of the Donut

in my post just now

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
OP you could try to make a map mode like this in Warcraft 3 (or any of its clones) since these RTS's already have heroes that level up their abilities and attributes and have inventories.

The hero abilities and the inventories are so basic though, and there's not much room for good encounter design. And the camera sucks.
Actually there are some insane maps/campaigns done for warcraft 3, I remember several mmorpg-esque grand ones like TKOK eastern kingdom with a fully fledged ability tree, inventory system, complex raid-like bosses, etc..

TKOK Eastern Kingdom is just amazing from the technical standpoint

They basically make character have normal RPG style inventory (like helm, armor, glove, 2 rings, necklace, boots, etc).

Skills is upgraded through big skill trees.

And yeah the bosses is like something out of MMORPG raid.

There are people making FPS esque game with World Editor too. It is one of the most powerful modding tools with very active community

FriendlyMerchant

in my post just now
Okay. It depends on what the game is supposed to focus on. If it's just a Hallway simulator with combat and NPCs existing only as a way for you to get XP/gold or buy stuff and do nothing else outside of that, then Underfail has that covered. The game is you the player making things happen by simply following the prescribed narrative path designed around your character and things happening pretty much only when you trigger conditions to go to the next part of the questline.

If you'd rather have a game that's more open where things can happen on their own like AI factions expanding, changing borders, etc. while you're just a person in the simulated world interacting with that world and what happens, then it's a big difference, especially in terms of the focus of the game. This approach is geared towards a sandbox game.

Do you want a sandbox game or an area box traversal story game?

Codex Year of the Donut

in my post just now
Okay. It depends on what the game is supposed to focus on. If it's just a Hallway simulator with combat and NPCs existing only as a way for you to get XP/gold or buy stuff and do nothing else outside of that, then Underfail has that covered. The game is you the player making things happen by simply following the prescribed narrative path designed around your character and things happening pretty much only when you trigger conditions to go to the next part of the questline.

If you'd rather have a game that's more open where things can happen on their own like AI factions expanding, changing borders, etc. while you're just a person in the simulated world interacting with that world and what happens, then it's a big difference, especially in terms of the focus of the game. This approach is geared towards a sandbox game.

sandboxes are boring, I don't want to make my own fun I just paid $60 for someone to make my fun

FriendlyMerchant

in my post just now

sandboxes are boring, I don't want to make my own fun I just paid $60 for someone to make my fun
Zoom zoom.

Codex Year of the Donut

in my post just now

Zoom zoom.
nothing in mountain blade or kenshi will ever get close to being anywhere near as interesting as a mediocre handcrafted game, and those are the best the subgenre has to offer

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
nothing in mountain blade or kenshi will ever get close to being anywhere near as interesting as a mediocre handcrafted game, and those are the best the subgenre has to offer

Gotta agree with Rusty there, ultimately most of those sandbox games feel purposeless after a while because there's no real goal to strive towards and all the content essentially repeats since there are no hand-crafted special encounters and quests.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Not video game, but I kind of tried that for a D&D campaign. My players can vouch for that on the 'Dex. Basically I played with friends a 4x medieval strategy boardgame, and with another group (dexers), I played a D&D campaign. Both influenced each other. At some point there was even quests givens from the first to the second group.

I had to stop because of various reasons, the main one was that the first group was not steady enough (although we kept the second group campaign running). It was a very fun experiment and if the first group had been more diligent, it could have been extremely interesting in the long run.

thesecret1

Arcane
This whole idea sounds like something Mount & Blade already does...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom