Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate RTwP vs TB in Baldur's Gate 3 - Discuss!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I resent the citation because the combat systems in tactical RPGs work so well due to how the game is structured, I.E missions.

Only Silent Storm is mission-based. Not that it matters because it's still RPG and deserves citation when the subject of best combat system is at hand.

Jagged Alliance 2 has open-world exploration, contiguous world, dungeon crawls, lots of quest-based structure, reactive dialogue, companion-based reactivity, lore, the lot.

Just because it's tactical turn-based combat is unequaled, you seem to think it's an unfair citation, and therefore resent it.

But it's a towering monolith of a game in general. It hurts you and others because everything's in its shadow.

Collective 'Dex rates JA2 in its top 100 or whatever it is, and I rate it numero uno on my blog. If there is an elite RPG in this genre we talk about, JA2 is it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I resent the citation because the combat systems in tactical RPGs work so well due to how the game is structured, I.E missions.

Only Silent Storm is mission-based. Not that it matters because it's still RPG and deserves citation when the subject of best combat system is at hand.

Jagged Alliance 2 has open-world exploration, contiguous world, dungeon crawls, lots of quest-based structure, reactive dialogue, companion-based reactivity, lore, the lot.

Just because it's tactical turn-based combat is unequaled, you seem to think it's an unfair citation, and therefore resent it.

But it's a towering monolith of a game in general. It hurts you and others because everything's in its shadow.

Collective 'Dex rates JA2 in its top 100 or whatever it is, and I rate it numero uno on my blog. If there is an elite RPG in this genre we talk about, JA2 is it.
I am gonna play it and if it sucks I am gonna blame it personally on you.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How would the same combat systems work in a game like IWD? ... I liked IWD, and I liked it for all the reasons that make it IWD.

Also, not sure why you keep mentioning IWD. I like IWD Series as well: rated as 8th best all-time because I like lots of combat, and good combat encounter design.

But JA2 shits on IWD + IWD2.

JA2 is the work of broad-thinking visionaries with impeccable taste and coding/design prowess whereas IWD Series is small-time stuff in comparison; basically a combat-mod of BG. You criticize mission-based, but that's what the series boils down to: raid this dungeon, now raid that one. And raid order is almost entirely linear, unlike JA2 + Silent Storm. There is nothing wrong with m-based RPGs, but you should strive for consistency in your viewpoints.

Kaivokz

Arcane
muh what matters is enjoyment you get out of eating shit

lol
Gtfo you moron
I was talking about the objective quality of each systems design, not what people may like the most or how hard the game is
Yeah, you were saying how, objectively, JA2 and IWD are games for casuals. Don’t back peddle because you said something retarded.

Bopple

Barely Literate
It boils down to how much micro-control you need.
With many characters and classes, there is no way you can control them without pausing every second. It just becomes a total mess.
Unless you have an advanced machine-learning AI program, you just can't.

RTwP was viable in BG1&2 because nearly two-thirds of the classes didn't demand micro-control.
This also applies to PoE series and Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
Every class in PoE series needs micro-control.
The Pathfinder ruleset is a 3E variant and doesn't need micro-control for melee classes, either.
That's why PoE combat was such a mess, while P:K combat was fine.

If you want to implement D&D5 true to its essence without causing too much headache, there is no way other than going turn-based.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom