Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruinarch - evil overlord simulator inspired by RimWorld & DF - now available on Early Access

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Mar 9, 2019.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    https://www.ruinarch.com/

Show Spoiler
    This Which Filipino indie team makes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2020
    • Informative x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. hoothoot Arcane Patron

hoothoot
    Reminds me of that which vapoured
    Looks cool, hope goes well.

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    There is something about the art style or the color palette that I dislike but I can't pinpoint what it is.
    The idea sounds good of course

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Storyfag Perfidious Pole Patron

Storyfag
    Pleeeease let it succeed.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. daveyarsegallant Magister Wumao

daveyarsegallant
    Idea is neat but the art is quite off putting.

^ Top  
  6. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    fucking fairies men

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Carceri Arcane

Carceri
    The friggin purple UI. Typical facebook/mobile shovelware.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    It looks like assets form some kind of asset store, akin to this:
    https://cubebrush.co/dgbaumgart/products/9zl4sq/terrain-hexes-basic-set

I'm pretty sure that I've seen those particular assets.

Anyway, that's not necessarily a bad thing, as it reduces the energy required to pull of a scam.
    With That Wich Sleeps they had to create some mock art at first, now they can just buy it, and pretend that they have a game.

But in all seriousness, if there is a developer behind this, that can code something resembling a wokring game, purchasing already made art might speed the development.

^ Top  
  9. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    This reeks of Forever Alpha. Small team, looks like RPG Maker and used catch-words like CKII, DF and Rimworld for advertisment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. mapacible Maccima Games Developer

mapacible
    Hello everyone,

I'm part of the development team making this games and I totally understand the concern due to what happened to That Which Sleeps. A couple of things to note:
    - Yes, the art assets are very similar to dgbaumgart's hex tiles in the asset stores because he is also the artist working on the tileset for this game. These are all custom though, so while it looks similar to his Painterly Set, they are all new.
    - The game is still fairly early development so we'll take into consideration your critique about the purple UI and discuss what to do about it
    - A vertical slice will be available soon, I encourage anyone interested to respond here as we are looking for a few early testers to give feedback
    - We originally planned to also do a kickstarter but due to what happened to That Which Sleeps, we are sure that it will fail so we won't be doing that anymore. We'll have to prove our capabilities in Early Access!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I think you should not repeat the common mistake of overstretching yourself with promises of features too complex to implement. Use Oxygen Not Included approach - keep promises modest and then build up upon Early Access by adding more features. RimWorld started with very few features and then added A LOT of them because Tynan managed to do one feature at a time and test it.
    We are cynical about tsuch games here because not a single one of them have been released and most died during eternal alpha stage.
    That doesn't mean we don't want you to succeed or will enjoy schadenfreude opon some setbacks.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mapacible Maccima Games Developer

mapacible
    Thank you, we will keep your advise in mind! We've been working on this concept for over two years now (although we went through several different prototypes related to the core theme of god game + emergent storytelling) so I have some sympathy with other past developers that attempted this as I know firsthand how difficult it is to make it work, mainly due to the complex level of AI required. Though we still have a lot of work to do, I feel like we've finally hit the right fundamental structure and it's now a matter of implementing the content that would allow more interesting emergent storylines to occur.

I understand where you guys are coming from. We've had a similar reception when I first posted about our game in the Dwarf Fortress forum. We'll just have to work harder to overcome player skepticism.

• Salute Salute x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I don't know if it is good or not at this point.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    1. Inflict Jamie with unfaithfulness
    2. Wife wants to leave
    3. Zap wife
    4. Wife changes her mind and kills affair
    5. Raise affair as zombie
    6. Zombie kills Jamie

It's not entirely clear to me how causing a smalltown drama helps you with world domination, but this is pretty hilarious anyway :lol:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Looks like demons DO ruin marriages, after all.

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    Grid lines shouldn't be so dark, especially as you have thin walls.

(Thin walls cool btw!)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I would actually remove the grid entirely outside of any form of combat. Don't really see the point in having the grid so visible all the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Trans-Financial-Man Prophet

Trans-Financial-Man
    Yeah I really like the look of this game it looks fun. But I can see storing Intel being a chore if it's a drop down menu with dozens of events happening. Imagine loads of events happening simultaneously in a town square. It'd be hard to find the one you're looking to store. You could do a search function to lessen the annoyance of this somewhat.

^ Top  
  19. mapacible Maccima Games Developer

mapacible
    Hi guys, we hear you on the grid lines! We'll try out a seamless tileset on the next update.

For intel, we intended it to be part of the game's challenge. You only see notifications for events that are occurring on your screen so that you can only typically share those that you have observed. At the same time, we'll also have other means of obtaining intel (ex: accessing someone's memories so you can pick one from his 'history log' to store as an intel). We do feel that it is still a bit fiddly at the moment so we are also trying to figure out how to improve intel gathering.

^ Top  
  20. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
  21. Citizen Guest

Citizen
    I like this grid. It looks a bit randomised, not just straight lines, as if the world consist of blocks with jagged edges

^ Top  
  22. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Yes, it does look like those PnP (+ online variants like roll20 or d20pro) tilesets.
    Which is something that takes you right out of the game world as - in contrast to PnP - it isn't just a visual aid, but the actual world you're supposed to be in.
    Nothing says "you're in a game" more than a bluntly displayed grid.

Kind of depends what the devs want to achieve here. If they want that boardgame vibe, sure, I just think this type of game would be better with a more immersive approach. Though that might also be much harder to achieve than going the boardgame route.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Joined on the 4th of July Arcane

Joined on the 4th of July
    Hey now, don't go straight to seamless. Grids are important visual aid. It just looks weird when the border between two grass tiles is about as dark and thick as the border between indoor and outdoor tile.

^ Top  
  24. mapacible Maccima Games Developer

mapacible
    Yeah, we'll try it out first, and see how it feels in comparison. Truth is that the gridlines were an artifact of previous game design that no longer applies (NPCs used to move one tile per tick). I personally like the look, and it makes it easy to add more tiles as there is no need for transition between different tile types. But, it shouldn't be too hard to try out a seamless version to compare.

^ Top  
  25. mapacible Maccima Games Developer

mapacible
    What do you guys think of how this seamless version looks (WIP):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.