Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruined King - League of Legends turn-based RPG by Battle Chasers dev

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Dec 13, 2019.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    All depends on whether you browse the boobs thread more or the butt thread more.

^ Top  
  2. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    :necro:

Coming early next year, no gameplay trailer:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-legends-rpg-ruined-king-is-coming-early-2021

^ Top  
  4. Dishonoredbr Liturgist

Dishonoredbr
    When they gonna release their Persona-like-JRPG that you get to fuck Talyah and Jinx..

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. kangaxx Learned

kangaxx
    I just got an email about this from Riot games.. wtf is going on?!

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Codex 2014
    Coming in 2021. Gameplay looks very much like Battle Chasers.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Bara Magister

Bara
    So far it looks like the only change between the two games is moving the turn order bar from the left side of the screen to the bottom middle and changing the UI of the action bar/box.

^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Interesting, graphix looks much worse than their last game Darksiders Genesis. Looks like a mobile game. Still, I had a lot of fun with Genesis, keeping an eye on this.

^ Top  
  9. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    Riot just launched the game during their indie showcase

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    If it is as good as their control of baseless accusations, like a certain guy whose account name was "Rakys" being accused of using a "racist" name for his account name, then the game will be bottom of the barrel tier trash.

:hmmm:

• Fishy Fishy x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Xunwael Educated

Xunwael
    All I remember from Battle Chasers was that it was super fucking easy and thus super fucking boring. For turn-based games you either need to go full-JRPG and have the combat be irrelevant digressions between the inane story about 14 year olds killing god, or you need to go full The Last Remnant and just make your player lose every meaningful fight 10 times in a row. Actually, I think some of those bosses took closer to triple-digits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Reever Learned

Reever
    They're really trying to push this world as a big IP. I always felt like lol's "world" was extremely generic and just a mash of random high fantasy tropes that didn't felt cohesive at all. But I guess if you pour enough money, it doesn't really matter.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    I like the world but I don't understand why such TB combat?

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    Truer words have never been spoken.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sykar Arcane

Sykar
    That and having a retarded braindead fanbase. Just look at Elder Scrolls and Failderp 3/4/76.

• How DARE you!?? How DARE you!?? x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    That's exactly the problem. Game is full of overpowered characters and high fantasy themes/niches that just don't go together very well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Bohrain Liturgist Patron

Bohrain
    I mean Valve tried something similar with Dota IP where it's a similar case of a cavalcade of characters with incoherent styles and single paragraph backstories trying to be made something cohesive. The difference being that Riot is willing to commit shitload of resources to these expanded IP projects because they know that their main product isn't going to be relevant forever. Whereas for Valve they can just throw shit on the wall if they like and see if it sticks, Steam is printing money for them anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. perfectslumbers Scholar

perfectslumbers
    Yes but that's not really any different from Warcraft or Golarion or any other kitchen sink fantasy ip. You can tell a good story in an incoherent world, at least if the story takes place in only one part of it. Arcane is proof of that, although I have doubts Ruined King and all their recently announced games will live up to that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Arthandas Arbiter

Arthandas
    I won't lie, the concept of playing LoL without any other users is very enthralling, though if it's as dead easy as Battle Chasers, then it's a hard pass.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610
    so I have had time to play this for 1.5h and I like it so far. As I hoped it seems to be a faster, updated version of Battlechasers. Also it has a fantasy pirate setting which is pretty rare.
    Though quite a few peopme complain about softlock bugs, but I didn't have any problems so far at least.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Renevent Arbiter

Renevent
    I actually really enjoyed Battle Chasers, thought it was pretty great and it was nice to play and enjoy a JRPG (used to love them in the NES/SNES days). Newer JRPG's are just horseshit stuffed with insane stories and constant forced cutscenes...Battle Chasers seemed to have more western sensibilities in that regard. That being said I didn't realize this game was based on League of Legends which is giving me some reservations about picking it up.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Gradenmayer Learned

Gradenmayer
    This is Battle Chasers 2 with setting swapped to League with a higher budget and a couple of new core mechanics:
    1. Lane skill: just skills, but you have 3 states at which you can cast them- slow, normal, fast (affects how far back it puts you on the initiative line and how much dmg/heal/shield the spell applies).
    2. Boons/Hazards: they appear on the initiative line and grand buffs/debuffs to you or enemies if you align with them. Leads to an interesting dynamic of having to push enemies out of it and getting in there yourself by manipulating initiative with line skills and pushes.

Some Enemies have special conditions that can only be removed by lane skill of certain type and etc.

I am enjoying the battles in this a lot so far, some trash mobs almost kicked my teeth in. Recommend starting with the hard mode or above tho.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Gradenmayer Learned

Gradenmayer
    It has more cutscenes than Battlechasers ( those comic style ones), but not to a degree that can rival Jrpgs.

Setting is a pirate land/ghost island with kraken god priests, angry captains and alike. Rest is as I described above. The only issue I have so far, is locations being unnecessarily big. Maybe it will drop the ball down the line, but if you like Nighwar, you will probably enjoy this.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.