Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rules of the Codex - Enhanced Edition (2012)

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm going to define it as: Anything remotely involving tracking down someone's location - such as city, town, street address, phone number - or harassing them on other sites such as Facebook or YouTube, especially suggesting doing things to them that would or could be considered criminal.

Rule Nazi's will be the first to die, so don't even try it.
Is what I do okay? I'd never post a link to someone's facebook or real life-affecting info on here, just links to things they've talked about on other public message boards.
You're creepy as fuck. I don't however think you've done much wrong.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm going to define it as: Anything remotely involving tracking down someone's location - such as city, town, street address, phone number - or harassing them on other sites such as Facebook or YouTube, especially suggesting doing things to them that would or could be considered criminal.

Is what I do okay? I'd never post a link to someone's facebook or real life-affecting info on here, just links to things they've talked about on other public message boards.

DU (correct me if I'm wrong) is concerned with bringing IRL stuff into this board that might have repercussions. Beyond that, it's up to your good sense to not inspire the anger of the Allmighty Despot of the Codex.

He can't and won't make a literal rules that covers all bases, that's not even how real law works. It's also why most forum rules fail so hard (their moderators and users think this is achievable).

Repressed Homosexual
So it means that another Dicksmoker could happen? Why not forbid that kind of behavior too? It's disturbing, it's unwanted, it could cause great harm and duress, and lead to that sort of stalking. Posting personal information of other members without permission should be forbidden as well, like it is on many sites.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it means that another Dicksmoker could happen? Why not forbid that kind of behavior too? It's disturbing, it's unwanted, it could cause great harm and duress, and lead to that sort of stalking. Posting personal information of other members without permission should be forbidden as well, like it is on many sites.

That did have repercussions, so probably not.

Repressed Homosexual
You might say that you can't control all that members do, however why do these things happen? Because there is an audience here. Remove that audience, and any incentive for this harassment ends, as there's no purpose in committing it without an audience to boast about it.

And if you think some drama could be lost, well it's 30 minutes of fun for the community, but potentially a long period of hurt for the victim.

Yes sometimes people compromise themselves... but you know how easy it is to do it these days. It gets increasingly harder without being actively paranoid about it.

Ultimately, you should not act overtime as the police... but you should protect your members.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So it means that another Dicksmoker could happen?

How do you suddenly come to this conclusion? Dicksmokergate was the very definition of internet-stalking with IRL repercussions.

Repressed Homosexual
The current rule only talks about stalking, unearthing a member's location, or harassing him or his relatives on other sites, not of outing him with pictures or an unearthed name posted without permission, which can have very undesirable consequences due to search engine poisoning, and logically lead to what is currently forbidden anyway.

EG

Nullified

Perhaps I'm not in the loop here, but . . . someone posting on NMA that I'm also on YouTube (I'm not, my fictional stalkers) or an active member of the Codex is a bit different from telling everyone my SIN number, date of birth, and place of residence (particularly if you get the version of me that exists in Alberta). You dig the suitability?

Now I'm curious as to which event this was. Muckefuck wanting to track down and rape phelot? He hasn't been seen since shortly afterwards when he saw some intruder walking through his house. Ah codex

EG

Nullified
Now I'm curious as to which event this was. Muckefuck wanting to track down and rape phelot? He hasn't been seen since shortly afterwards when he saw some intruder walking through his house. Ah codex

If you buy us all pizza, we will stalk find the event.

There has been A Real Instance™, police were involved and the Administrators do not appreciate real police rocking up at their real doorsteps to ask about bullshit that happened on an internet forum. It's all fun and games until someone has to go to a Police station to try and explain the Codex¹. Strangely enough, it has nothing to do with any of the more recent well known stalkery threads and was one that caught us by surprise, go figure. As such, any instances of stalkerish behaviour may result in an entire nuking of the accounts involved and deletion of relevant threads - even if it's just a bad joke. As always, we're much more inclined to nuke if you're just a shitposter (see #6).

¹The Codex, it turns out, is rather difficult to explain to Police and there's a real question around what jurisdiction we come under.
:what:

This site only gets crazier with time.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

Is what I do okay?
Nothing anyone does here is ok, not by any standard. But what you said sounds fine.

You might say that you can't control all that members do, however why do these things happen? Because there is an audience here. Remove that audience, and any incentive for this harassment ends, as there's no purpose in committing it without an audience to boast about it.
I have considered "removing the audience" many, many times.

DU (correct me if I'm wrong) is concerned with bringing IRL stuff into this board that might have repercussions involve work.
Fixed.

Beyond that, it's up to your good sense to not inspire the anger of the Allmighty Despot of the Codex.
And this.

He can't and won't make a literal rules that covers all bases, that's not even how real law works. It's also why most forum rules fail so hard (their moderators and users think this is achievable).
Also this.

The current rule only talks about stalking, unearthing a member's location, or harassing him or his relatives on other sites, not of outing him with pictures or an unearthed name posted without permission, which can have very undesirable consequences due to search engine poisoning, and logically lead to what is currently forbidden anyway.
All of that could, in my mind, reasonably constitute "stalkery bullshit". It is difficult, given how many people have posted their real names and images - but basically:

a) "Hey guys, here's a picture of me, my house, and my cat. You can find my real name is Tom Dickleseed with a half decent investigation.", "Dickleseed. Ho-ho-ho.", "Hi Tom, how are you?" -> is relatively fine.

b) "I know where you live, I'm going to rape and kill you, Tom", "I found your sister's YouTube account and posted on it what I'd do to her", "I called your home, your mother answered the phone and I told her you had AIDS" -> is not fine.

While A may lead to B, it's mainly when things actually do reach point B that I will be clamping down on (and that may be a thread at point A, that later ends up at point B after-the-fact - or in an incident that occurs off-site). Like all our rules, other moderators interpretations may vary. But my advice is to refrain from saying anything that may be interpreted in a threatening manner, even if it's just a joke.

Now of course, I have no control over what anyone does on any other website. However, we do have spies in IRC, so don't be surprised if what you talk about there (or even if we find out through other means), results in problems for you here - should we find out about it.

EG

Nullified
b) "I know where you live, I'm going to rape and kill you, Tom", "I found your sister's YouTube account and posted on it what I'd do to her", "I called your home, your mother answered the phone and I told her you had AIDS" -> is not fine.

See, HHR? See how subtle the difference is? Practically the same thing! :troll:

Smushy

honestly, whats the point of putting me on the mod que...ö?
i dont like it, the mods garbos dont like it, nobody likes it......
why not just ban delete?
i have to register a different acc now anyway......

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom