Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Fallout and Elder Scrolls remasters from inXile

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rumor from two sources: inXile is in charge of remastering the 90s Fallout and Elder Scrolls games.

(timestamped)

If it helps, Skullzi's ES6 info aligns *almost* perfectly with everything I've been told about it. Except the dragon stuff. That hasn't been mentioned to me. Also got the Remasters confirmed to me just now

Not sure if InXile is the studio. I just got their existence confirmed. That's it

Edit: Schreier claims this may just be a bunch of nonsense https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...d-unpopular-thread-title.573142/post-85765018
I texted that Skullzi list of bullet points to a source who'd know and they responded "Bullshit."
-Skullzi has also been wrong in the past (like most Bethesda "insiders," all of whom were spreading misinfo about Starfield's release date)

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Lot of things you can do to Fallout in the Current Year to make it more playable. Add all the engine improvements from 2 to 1. As Per put it:

There's no "take all" button (argh).
You can't move more than $999 at a time.
You can't use Page Up and Page Down in your inventory (aaargh).
New items go to the bottom of your inventory instead of the top (don't they have playtesters to catch this sort of thing?).
You can't barter freely with party members.
You can't tell party members to move out of the way (or anyone else).
Party members can't change armour.
Party members can't gain levels.
There's nothing in the way of combat settings for party members.
Party members move about a lot while you're trying to use healing skills or Steal on them.
Did I mention some stuff about party members?
Your destination on the world map is reset every time you have an encounter.
"Rest until morning" only goes to 6.00 even though a lot of people in the game consider 7.00 or 8.00 to be the start of business hours, which is usually what you're waiting for.
You "take damage" when earning a level (because your current HP level doesn't go up).
You need a perk to get green outlines around your NPCs in combat (oh yeah, that's worth a perk. How about you need a second level of the perk to get yellow outlines for critters outside your line of sight?).
Money isn't displayed in dialogue.
Carry Weight isn't displayed in inventory.
Using explosives from an active item slot doesn't drop the explosive (so why can you do it at all?).
If you try to use something during combat, like opening a door or searching a corpse, your character will walk slowly up to it even if you have "always run" on.

You can't choose whether to avoid random encounters or not.

On top of that, for both games there's official widescreen support, official animation speedups, making the inventory window bigger, and other miscellaneous user experience improvements. I'm really iffy about design changes, but if they actually fix/improve AP ammo in both games that wouldn't be bad.

Of course they could also end up delivering a Beamdog Special.

Well they had to get Bethesda's permission to do Fallout, so why not do TES while they're at it?

Codex Year of the Donut
every issue you can bring up has already been fixed with sfall
including porting fallout 1 to fallout 2's engine

and some of that list is just flat out false e.g., "party members can't gain levels"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
every issue you can bring up has already been fixed with sfall
including porting fallout 1 to fallout 2's engine

and some of that list is just flat out false e.g., "party members can't gain levels"
Timeslip denies the existence of SFall for Fallout 1 because Interplay bundled it one of their rereleases without asking for her permission, which made her seethe. There is Fallout et tu which ports Fallout into Fallout 2, but it's not necessarily exact. Lilura hated it of course.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Edit: Schreier claims this may just be a bunch of nonsense https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...d-unpopular-thread-title.573142/post-85765018
I texted that Skullzi list of bullet points to a source who'd know and they responded "Bullshit."
-Skullzi has also been wrong in the past (like most Bethesda "insiders," all of whom were spreading misinfo about Starfield's release date)

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/85887/new-elder-scrolls-vi-rumors-are-bullsh-sources-say/index.html

Another confirmed ex-Bethesda Game Studios developer says the list is mostly "nonsense":

"Most of this is nonsense. BGS Dallas was working on Spyteam before getting put on Starfield. It was a pet project of Todd's and was just being prototyped."

That's a user on ResetEra named Hevy008 who has since deleted his account and all his posts, but confirmed by Schreier as legit.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Daggerfall deserves to be remade, and I don't mean in retarded Unity, no.

If it's treated with the same respect as, say, the Bard's Tale remakes were, it could be absolutely glorious replaying that classic again.

thesecret1

Arcane
Imagine, Fallout 1 remade in Unity, in full 3D, first person perspective, having you trek for hours through an absolutely empty, massive map, only to finally arrive in Hub and be informed that Trans Lives Matter. Truly a game that Current Year deserves.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Daggerfall deserves to be remade, and I don't mean in retarded Unity, no.

If it's treated with the same respect as, say, the Bard's Tale remakes were, it could be absolutely glorious replaying that classic again.

Actually, Daggerfall Unity is pretty great. So stop hoping for some butchered remake by inept devs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can't wait for them to leverage all this work on this remaster into also making a cash grab bastardized version of Van Buren.
Fargo trademarked Van Buren back in 2014. It transferred over to Microsoft with the sale, but they let it die as of March 11, 2022. I hope Brian tells us just what exactly he wanted to do there one of these days. :M

wishbonetail

Learned
Remaster F2 how? Will they just round up pixels in Photoshop like in HoMM3 or FF3 "remasters" to make it look like shit?

I'm usually against remasters on principle. However if it wasn't for Daggerfall unity I would say Daggerfall would be an excellent candidate for a remaster. Something to fix bugs, get it to run on modern systems in modern resolutions, clean up the music and maybe add some optional bonus graphical updates. Basically similar to InXille's own Bard's Tale remasters. I'd be fine with that. But Daggerfall Unity does exist. Does everything I described. And is thus pointless for a remaster.

I've also never trucked with the idea that Fallout's UI is "outdated" or clunky. That's just Bethdrone bs that could've come out of Billy Bullshiter (also known by his stage name Todd Howard). Fallout 1 and 2 are perfectly playable on modern systems through GoG, and mods enable higher resolutions if you're inclined that way. Hell Fallout's UI is way less clunky than say more supposedly "modern" games like Divinity Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, and so on.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
That's a user on ResetEra named Hevy008 who has since deleted his account and all his posts, but confirmed by Schreier as legit.

I love how this guy doxxed himself (Finished work at Bethesda last week, Character Artist) and then proceeded to talk about the game, on the largest gaming message board, like he was some journalist that had just finished a non-embargoed preview

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom