Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rumor: Fallout and Elder Scrolls remasters from inXile

Codex Year of the Donut
What fans would like to see(either HD re-render of assets or upscaled + digitally painted over artwork if original assets are unavailable) is something we all know will never happen.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Can't wait for Brain Fargo to erase Tim and Leonhardt's names from the Fallout intro.
You know that Brian Fargo is responsible for naming the franchise right? Also indirectly for the invention of Perks, and not canceling the game—twice.

*BTW... I once asked an InXile dev why there was no walking animation/state for the PC in InXile's Torment.
The "RPG" dev didn't understand the need for one. So... expect many aspects of the game to disappear if they don't understand the need for it.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
They should leave well enough alone; Fallout should stay safe on the shelf where it can remain undamaged by the inept, and the politically sensitive.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm honestly surprised Bethesda hasn't re-made Fallout 1 or 2 in their Fallout 3+ engines. There's a ton of "Fallout" fans who have never played the original two who would gleefully gobble up what would essentially just be a mod with the story and locations of the originals. Hell, even those casuals would probably prefer it over Bethesda's offerings like they did with New Vegas.

CabbageHead

Novice
If true, it's probably just another bait to get older people to sign up for that Xbox recurring revenue service thing. M$ really ramping up their product lineup for THE FUTURE OF GAMING™.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Besides maybe fixing Fallout 2's inconsistent NPC sprite quality (you can see that the artist left BI mid-development after finishing the tribal sprites and some others, and the rest of the new ones look like ass) and the inventory UI, I don't see what they wouldn't be able to fuck up. The gritty but still aesthetically pleasing environments and NPCs are not something a digital art sweatshop in Asia could replicate, we would probably get too shiny/clean renders instead.

In a perfect world someone could competently remake Fallout 1 into a superior game (better tactical combat, overhauled perks, better party NPC system, some more content and expansion of locations), but such things are better left in the realm of dreams in [current year] with modern game designers running about, especially since some moron would no doubt get the idea to make it first person. BTW heretical thought of the day: immersive sim Fallout 1 remake might not be an entirely bad idea, but that's even less realistic than someone properly remaking the game since it would require even more brains to pull it off properly. We would get Bethesturd's dungeon crawler with guns take on Fallout instead.

Anyway if anything should get the cashgrab remasturd treatment then InXile should instead be remastering Arcanum instead of the Fallouts. Those fugly sprites would benefit from being replaced with 3D models (also I want the Chapeau of Magnetic Inversion to show up on the PC's head for the :obviously: factor), and they should remake/overhaul the combat system and AI while they are at it. Environmental art is also very hit or miss in Arcanum. Although I guess they can't do Arcanum even if they wanted to until the M$ assimilation of Acti-Blizz is complete.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Why Microsoft bought InXile to just turn it into Beamdog? They hate Fargo this much?
inXile's big thing is their fps-rpg. However, one might suppose their successful collaborations with Krome on The Bard's Tale Trilogy and Wasteland may have convinced MS/Beth to commission them to do a similar job with Beth's old titles (two of which they're not even charging money for anymore).

Look at Obsidian, their two big things are Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2, and then there's Pentiment and Grounded as their small projects. inXile likely has one or a few small projects as well.

Last edited:

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
My god i hope it is true.
Butthurt on this site will be EPIC
Imagine Fallout 1 in 3d graphics + rotatable camera, butthurt here will reach ASTRONOMICAL SIZE
Doubt it will be 3D. More likely it will be just upscaled textures, wide screen options, borderless window and Xbox controller keybinds.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
It would be easier to remake/remaster it in 3d.

(Whether or not the finished product was in 3D, simulated 2D, or even actual 2D with rendered sprites.)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's a user on ResetEra named Hevy008 who has since deleted his account and all his posts, but confirmed by Schreier as legit.

I love how this guy doxxed himself (Finished work at Bethesda last week, Character Artist) and then proceeded to talk about the game, on the largest gaming message board, like he was some journalist that had just finished a non-embargoed preview

People willing to make an account on the cesspool of a site that is RetardEra are neither very smart nor mentally stable, so no surprise there.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wouldn't mind a proper remaster where they actually try to recreate the old artwork in high fidelity visuals. But it's InXile, so yeah, best you can hope for is steal some mods, upscale textures, fix the UI and put a price tag on it. And spend first year after the launch fixing all the new bugs.

Alex

Arcane
Why not remaster the Goldenbox games instead?

Luzur, don't give them ideas. I know you said remaster, but you should know well enough they wouldn't resist the chance to change the rules to 5e and fill the games with brave trans-gendered/abled/racial npcs. Do you really want to fight orcs that identify as drow matriarchs driving magic wheelchairs?

edit: Yeah, I would love to fight them too, but you know they would make the fight unwinnable to avoid being called bigots.

deuxhero

Arcane
Put me in the camp of "Fallout 1/2 need some fixes, but have no confidence they'll do it properly".

Can't really do anything to Morrowind except stuff implemented as an official plugin like a graphics replacer (character/clothes/a few pieces of leg armor models being only thing that really needs a change) or adding VA to some major NPCs (which would require recasting some VAs) since nobody would care about it if not for mods and changes to the game itself would break mods. I think OpenMW's license allows for Bethesda to just make an android port and sell MW with it (provided they respect the licensing required for the source), but that wouldn't work with consoles due to requiring proprietary code.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Imagine a remaster of Morrowind :
  • Game journos butthurting about the game being too hard
  • SJW butthurting about slavery
  • SJW butthurting about Bretons having 50 INT(IQ = 100) while redguards have 30 INT(IQ = 60)
  • Skyrim fanboys butthurting cuz they can't mindless follow the quest compass
  • Negative reviews from modern gamers like when Larian cultists tried IE games(thread)
  • (...)
Pure Lulz

Imagine a remaster of Morrowind :
  • Game journos butthurting about the game being too hard They'll make it easier for them
  • SJW butthurting about slavery They'll remove any reference to slavery and take out any utterance of "N'wah" because Wogs are fragile little things.
  • SJW butthurting about Bretons having 50 INT(IQ = 100) while redguards have 30 INT(IQ = 60) They will buff Redguards because something something George Floyd
  • Skyrim fanboys butthurting cuz they can't mindless follow the quest compass They will add quest markers and fast travel
  • Negative reviews from modern gamers like when Larian cultists tried IE games(thread) No negative reviews as all the modern gamers will love "OMG MORROWIND YASSS I CAN FINALLY PLAY THE HECKIN VALID VERSION WITHOUT ALL THE BIGOTRY!"
  • (...)
Pure Lulz lunacy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom